1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No more kids - Trade the picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, May 17, 2023.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We have 7 FRPs in the last 3 years already developing, and 8 if you count KPJ.

If we got Wemby great, but other than that, we should be looking to use our draft capital and future draft capital as trading chips to get players like:

Bridges
    Johnson
    Brown

Like numbers 4 and 20 pick plus KMJ for them or something similar maybe including the Brooklyn picks.

We don't need anymore 19 year old players that will take 3 years to become something - we have enough, now we need some 26-27 year old players to come in and grow with our youth.

I don't believe Stone can continue to just draft, I think now is the time to bring in talent and having a guy like Amen Thompson rotting on the bench of playing in the Gleague behind guys that are already 2 years+ better than him, is not a good strategy.

Trade the picks.....

The only other player I would really want would be Derek Lively at 20.....other than that......I want veterans.

DD

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Trade KPJ.

Fix the culture.

3. Damion Laverne

More like "no more kids that can't shoot"

Our player development staff has not helped our current youngins enough with their shooting.

amaru, maj21, Invisible Fan and 4 others like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

No more kids. Rockets need a vasectomy.

6. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I don't think Udoka is going to allow Amen Thompson to be drafted. His shooting percentage on 3's is 23%. I'm not sure what the best case scenario is for him based on how other players have developed, but that seems many years away from being able to get on the court during the playoffs, and he's going to have trouble even in the regular season.

In a scenario that isn't that difficult to imagine, he is a bust. You can't have a career in the NBA as a ball handler without being able to shoot. Westbrook is probably the greatest player in NBA history that fits that mold, and his career has been filled with "controversy" over his effectiveness.

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Legend alert

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

DD, are you high on Jalen Sengun and Jabari? Do u think they’ll be all star players? Because if you’re not sure, we need to keep taking swings at the draft. I don’t see a franchise player on our roster yet.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Draft Jerace Walker, throw a ridiculous contract at Cam Johnson that the Nets can't match, profit.

BigShasta likes this.
  10. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Ime loves making babies though

11. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Amen is an absolute Udoka player. Udoka said he values team-first, hard-nosed, defensively strong, competitors. That's the Thompson twins. Honestly I love of our existing guys and look forward to how Udoka will develop their existing strong skillsets, but Amen has waaay more Udoka player traits than Jalen, Sengun, and KPJ for example.

Amen shot 27% from 3 and 69% from the FT line last year, regular season + playoffs. Guys who shot similarly poorly in their year before the NBA:

Jaylen Brown
    LaMelo
    DeRozan
    Dejounte
    Kawhi
    Siakam
    Randle
    Grant
    Gordon
    Anunoby
    Giddey
    Barnes
    and many more.

CVcrew, larry cook and xaos like this.
  12. xaos

xaos Member

Trade for restricted free agent Cam Johnson? Trade for soon-to-be trade ineligible Jaylen Brown (after he signs supermax)? Heck, if Boston isn't running Tatum and Brown back I'd explore trades for either... just probably wouldn't get very far

Wouldn't mind a Bridges trade, but we'll likely deplete our trade assets (Nets picks) and will remove ourselves from any bidding war for the next disgruntled star as our young players begin to blossom. He fits in and would help for sure...

Would prefer going all in on Scoot H (or trade for Lamelo if he's available; no, not including Green or Smith) and then sign Cam or Reaves, Bev(a real mentor for the young guys), consolidate some of the guys we don't see in our future and use our capspace to take on contracts (for either the player themselves or assets tied to it) as the new CBA squeezes some of the 3-star teams.

BaselineFade likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

austin-powers-ouch.gif

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Go Rockets!!!

TimDuncanDonaut and RustyHarden like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Trade Sengun he's the only with any value :D

Seriously though - Bridges and Brown likely wont be available and the fetish for Cam Johnson is weird to me when a top 4 pick would be equal to him in talent.

Put on your dancin' shoes cuz the band is getting back together again next season!

txppratt, FLASH21, Hemingway and 2 others like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Not always consensually either! :eek:

Pbev99 and thedreamsteam like this.
  17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

are you a bot? i swear it's the same 5 messages cycled over and over for years.

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

deserves its own thread

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, I think we have some good shots at all star players in Green, Bari, KPJ, Sengun .....

Anyone we draft is 3 years away.....from being as good as those 4.......so I am fine where we are and trying to trade draft capital for proven players.

DD

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Of course KPJ would be on his list ;)

But I agree we have enough kids already.
    Time to get rid of the rotten apples and bring our (immediate) franchise player via salary cap this year.

If any of these young players pan out and become all-stars, we will be contenders.
    If not, keep trading until we build a good core again. There is absolutely no reason to panic about franchise players when you have 60m cap space.......

DaDakota likes this.