1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

About the supposed bad luck or rigged lottery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CarlosGM, May 17, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe they should do Tankathon mock lottery instead of ping pongs.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  2. invocux

invocux Member

I mean we live in capitalism ofc it's rigged lol. Everything is rigged. They rigged Champions League group and knockout stages for years to generate more revenue. Accept it or not there's a higher chance that Wemby to develop into a superstar in Spurs than in us. They got Pop, better facilities etc.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Sure the Universe told him

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The method of doing the lottery behind closed doors and then having the TV show is pure BS. Why cant it just be done live?

Caesar, amaru, BamBam and 2 others like this.
  5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

So the lottery has been rigged since '85? That means that all of the observers - team representatives and members of the press, are in on it?

And after the fact, not one of those observers has admitted it?

And this is proved by the fact that a team with the best odds won the 2023 lottery ?

Ok

6. aelliott

Because it would be bad TV. Having to lookup the owner of the winning combination, verify, and perform one or more redraws if a team comes up multiple times isn't compelling TV.

They also want to build suspense by revealing the picks backwards ( from 14 to 1).

Besides, doing the drawing live wouldn't convince anyone either. We've all heard the frozen envelope conspiracy theory from the '85 Ewing lottery.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think it would give some people that extra layer of legitimacy even if it takes longer. You could stretch out the program and fill in those gaps with video or just listening to the panel chatting up the prospects. Show the world all the balls that are going into the hopper and then draw them one by one I think that way even if you lose suspense it would be easier to digest for fans who miss out on the top prize.

8. jayland

jayland Member

Because they want to announce the results backwards from 14 to 1 for suspense but the lottery process is only for the top 4 picks with the 1st pick chosen first.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

burlesk likes this.
  10. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

count me in with the extremely biased group.

btw, here's a really good random book on randomness: The Drunkard's Walk by Leonard Mlodinow.

#30 burlesk, May 17, 2023
    Last edited: May 17, 2023
  11. aelliott

You do realize that the vast majority of TV viewers don't care about the lottery, right? Most have no idea who Scoot Henderson is. This was probably the most anticipated lottery ever and it got 15 minutes on a pregame show.

And As I said, doing it live wouldn't convince anyone anyway. People are still going to have conspiracy theories. You could show the tie breaker coin flips and all of the drawing of the ping pong balls and people who didn't like the results would assume that Penn & Teller were involved and it was fixed.

12. aelliott

Just so I'm clear. The NBA, who can't make a single draft pick without the NBA insiders knowing about it and tweeting it in advance, are somehow fixing the lottery and are able to keep 100% of the observers silent for decades?

Yung-T likes this.
  13. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm very sleep deprived, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In the last 3 drafts, the team that was just above the Rockets (in W/L, they'd be just below in tanking odds) got the #1 pick.

Talk about odd. This is 100% just dumb luck (no conspiracy theories from me). but geez is that weird. I'm sure you could find 10 odd things with whatever the result ended up, but between the coin toss and everything else, it just makes me laugh.

And cry. :(

Caesar, Yung-T and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

Statically speaking it's pretty common where a bottom team number combination come up more than once. It's ignored if team's name already came up got the pick. This happened to us last year (or the year before... i forgot which), where HOU's number combo came up twice; one of them was ignored. The video was released on nba.com (too lazy to find it right now; but I shared it here)

For TV suspense, they reveal it from bottom all the way to #1. In the lottery itself, it's top down. So SA was already #1 and got wemby. Then CHA....etc Then when when it came to #4, they kept cycling until SA and CHA's name stop coming up, because they already got #1 / #2, and a team other than SA/CHA/BLA showed up... which was us.

Could be worse, we could've been the Pistons.

#34 TimDuncanDonaut, May 17, 2023
    Last edited: May 17, 2023
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Good example of how it wouldn't prevent the conspiracy theories:
    They do the soccer Champions League Draw on live TV by having a bowl full of balls (every ball has a piece of paper with a team name inside) and randomly shuffling plus picking one out by hand to determine the teams and matches:
    [​IMG]
    Despite that, people every year say it's rigged and for example in the past without any evidence claimed the person who picked up the balls had a magnetic ring on their finger so that only a specific ball would go into his hand.

So yea, people always will come up with ridiculous narratives and ways something is rigged.

16. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

The NBA has been rigged since I started watching in the 80's. It's a clear as day for those who look at it honestly. The Scott Foster's of the world are not created naturally. Sometimes it doesn't work (Rox over Knicks, Yao Ming). Sometimes it does (LA over Sac, GS over Rox). You can make statistics say anything thing you want, but there's rarely been an even playing field in this league.

17. daytripper

daytripper Member

Pretty much.

Looking at how they have developed Green ( or not developed him in the Rox case) why on earth would the basketball gods want Wemby here?

amaru likes this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Destiny. We aren’t supposed to get our franchise star yet. The script says we get kicked in the nuts for 3 more years before we get our messiah

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eh.

You also have to think of the billionaire owners of the teams. They have immense clout and power and would go ape **** if they learned that it was rigged for a team that wasn't theirs.

That means rigging a draft for one team creates 10+ other pissed off billionaire owners. So I don't see it flying because that's pissing off too many billionaires to get away with something.

Yung-T and aelliott like this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

All if those players you made mention of are not nor have they been GAME CHANGERS! But LeBron to Cleveland, Ewing to NY and Wemby to Spurs are.

I said it numerous of times before the lottery that he was going to S.A. That franchise needed him. However, it doesn't mean the Rockets are now dead.

I think they can still be better next yr.