1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Victor Wembanyama tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lunareste, Oct 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Not feeling Victor. Looks injury prone and slow.

I'll take Scoot

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Right, at least acknowledge the coaching hire and young players and picks

3. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Hello, it's been awhile.

With a day before Wemby, here is my break down of possible landing spots:

Worst case scenario 1A
    Mavs 3%
    • The Dallas Mavericks have no business being in this lottery. They already have a generational Euro star in Luka, who just took them to the final four last year. If they win Wemby, I may hide under a rock for 20 years.

Worst case scenario 1B
    Spurs 14%
    • The Spurs are a nothing franchise post-Duncan, but I worry a Wemby rejuvenation will allow Pop to become immortal, and the Rockets would have to endure another 20 year Spurs dynasty.

They can't get away with this!
    Blazers 10.5%
    Jazz 4.5%
    Bulls 1.8%
    Thunder 1.7%
    Raptors 1%
    Pelicans .5%
    • I put all these teams together because they all share a similar theme. They either have had recent success or they haven't paid their dues of being bad like the Rockets. The Blazers are in a weird spot because they may keep Dame, and if he is paired with Wemby, they may make noise in the playoffs next year.
    • The Jazz just traded Gobert and do not need another French big dude. Also we hate the Jazz.
    • The other four teams with barely 1% should just be ineligible entirely. The Thunder just picked 2nd last year, and have 1,000 first round picks in the next 5 years. They shouldn't be rewarded with the best player ever and a 1.7% chance. The Raptors just won the title 4 years ago, they don't need Wemby. The Pelicans can't win Zion and Wemby, that's not fun.

Who cares?
    Hornets 12.5%
    Pacers 6.8%
    Wizards 6.7%
    • Wemby going to any one of these teams would make the whole NBA snooze. Maybe the Pacers could be frisky with Haliburton, B. Math, and Wemby, but I don't see Wemby wanting to be Mr. Pacer. The Hornets and Wizards are two of the worst run franchises over the past decade, and Wemby going to one of these teams would be kinda sad from a league entertainment stand point

New Annoying East Super Team?
    Pistons 14%
    Magic 9%
    • Either one of these teams winning Wemby would be pretty insufferable. They both already won the lottery the past two years above the Rockets, and adding Wemby would instantly make either the Pistons or Magic playoff caliber teams.

Best Case Scenario
    Rockets 14%
    • Hello Wemby :cool:

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wasn't that bad. He mentioned he heard "Houston is a mess", but when pressed further for their sources, it becomes circular. Thinks Silas was genuinely bad but not positive about Tillman's decision making.

Vid starts at 54:10

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. i3artow i3aller

6. i3artow i3aller

7. i3artow i3aller

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Not likely but god damn it’ d be cool to pick #1.

cmoak1982 and eman like this.
  9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

We deserve a #1 pick man...the tanking has not gone well.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. eman

eman Contributing Member

Tomorrow happens to be my 65th birthday. I've made my birthday wish...

11. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Yes! 47 on the 18th. That’s two of us with the same wish!!

Rudyc281 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

To be fair, we’ve still drawn #2 and #3. I look at it like we are due #1,#4 or #5 tom.

Ancient Moabite and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I don't think "deserve" has anything to do with it. Many teams have had misfortune and sadness in their history.

Easy likes this.
  14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I truly believe this draft is 6 deep. Want highest pick possible but we are adding a stud prospect regardless. Do not want to trade pick unless it is a legit star. Id rather develop Whitmore, Ausar or trade assets to move up.

OremLK likes this.
  15. Lunareste

Lunareste Member

Tonight's the night, brothers.

Say a prayer before you go to bed, God will answer them tomorrow.

Little Bit likes this.
  16. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Man I feel like the Spurs are going to screw us. Oh well it’s time to meet our destine.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Okay, Wemby is clearly the best prospect as things stand right now, but I hope this was hyperbole. Scoot Henderson is right there, and a great prospect is only great if he actually plays.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They always mention Lebron when they talk about generational talents.

LBJ was the most durable and longevous guy around, probably not named Vince Carter among others.

Part of his overall package is his strength and durability.

Easy and OremLK like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4522294/2023/05/16/nba-draft-lottery-pistons-rockets-victor-wembanyama/

The Athletic’s Rockets beat writer Kelly Iko and Pistons beat writer James Edwards III got together ahead of a busy day to discuss where both franchises stand, what to expect and the different draft outcomes.

Iko: What’s the sense around Detroit this week? Is there any apprehension about where they could possibly land? I remember being in the room last year and hearing the collective gasps when the Pistons ended up with the No.5 pick.

Edwards: Yeah, there’s a little bit of anxiety, I think. Detroit doesn’t expect to have a very good chance at landing the No. 1 pick again moving forward, so it really wants to capitalize on it while it’s here.

Everyone in Detroit will be jumping for joy, obviously, with No. 1. That goes without saying. A lot of people will be through the roof with No. 2, fine with No. 3 and then absolutely gutted if the Pistons pick No. 4 or 5.

I believe there’s a real chance Detroit trades the pick if it’s not in the top 3.

Is it doom and gloom in Houston if it doesn’t land Wemby?

Iko: I’d reserve doom and gloom for anything outside of the top 3.

From the outside looking in, it definitely seems like Detroit is a lot more patient than Houston. You can speak to this more, but I haven’t heard much from Pistons owner Tom Gores about desperately needing to speed up the process. I can’t say the same for Houston.

Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta purchased this franchise in 2017 and inherited a group that was dedicated to winning and seemed to be a perennial contender. A lot has changed since then and he wants a return to winning as soon as possible. The team has spoken a great deal about phase one, phase two, phase three — and phase two, the current one following Ime Udoka’s hire, is about getting back to the postseason. I strongly doubt they have the stomach for one or two more years of disaster. There would be sweeping changes if that happened.

Winning the NBA draft lottery, earning the right to draft Wembanyama and heading into the summer armed with nearly $60 million in cap space is the quickest way to flip the page on this rebuild. They would still be pleased with the second or third pick but that’s where they would draw the line. Anything after that would be prime trade fodder. Now I’m not saying it’s definite because it takes two teams to make a deal, but they would be extremely open.

Outside of Wembanyama, who do you see aligning with Detroit more — Scoot Henderson or Brandon Miller? Is there even a dark horse candidate you’d think fits their mold?

Edwards: The Pistons want to turn a corner next season but I have yet to get the sense that ownership is getting impatient. The front office has been patient and will continue to be if the situation calls for it, and the owner seems to be aligned with that vision.

Henderson has higher upside but Miller fits more of a team need and still has really good upside. The closer we get to the draft, the more I think the Pistons favor Miller over Henderson (especially when you factor in their belief in Cade Cunningham and Jaden Ivey). I could be completely wrong, but it’s just a feeling I have right now.

If Houston falls to four, five or six, who do you like for them?

Iko: I’ve gone back and forth between Henderson and Miller for weeks but I’m comfortable with Miller.

I’m leaning more and more into the “draft Miller/Cam Whitmore, sign a veteran point guard in free agency” now that the Philadelphia 76ers have flamed out for the second straight season. I’m not saying that it should be James Harden or bust — Fred Van Vleet and Austin Reaves are also intriguing albeit more complicated — but it feels like the clock is ticking on that entire team dynamic. Houston has been monitoring the Harden situation closely and I don’t see why they shouldn’t feel confident with their grandiose plans. This summer should be interesting.

But assuming Wembanyama, Henderson and Miller are off the board, Whitmore and Jarace Walker move up for them slightly over the Thompson twins. Whitmore has a real dynamic potential as an off-ball threat and Walker is going to be a defensive terror who can guard multiple positions — not to mention new head coach Udoka’s penchant for that side of the ball. This is anything but an exact science and I could be wrong, but that’s where I’m at right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.