1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Jim Crane doesn't have public speaking issues. Cal obviously does.

If you know more than like 3 people you definitely know someone who is otherwise smart, fun to be around, etc. but has no ability to handle public speaking. It's a normal thing. Cal demonstrated on multiple occasions that he isn't comfortable being that guy. On top of all that, unlike Crane, Cal was PART of the public face that became hated. Cal was the one being slandered as racist, dumb, responsible for running off Deshaun, hiring a Christian Rasputin who manipulated him into eating children, etc.

It's weird to me that anyone struggles to understand why the Texans are rebranding their public persona and why a woman like Hannah would be a great choice to help soften that up. It seems so obvious to me. It's like a political candidate who brings out the wife.

TheFreak, RunninRaven, vince and 6 others like this.
  2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um, you look at the Superbowl champs for the last 20 years. Vet teams with a younger players in the mix. Seattle would be the exception. Chiefs a veteran team that is good mixing in young players.

3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

You know what’s really funny? That Seahawks team you're talking about? They had a single draft for Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, and Russell Wilson. For a draft grade average of “D”. Meanwhile, ppl like @Hey Now! will point to that draft and say “see! Build through the draft, you need tons of picks!” Yes it works out sometimes, but the draft in general is a crapshoot. More picks at the top is better than hoping to hit home runs with multiple picks.

also, and it’s so weird this goes unmentioned. Even after trading “the whole kitchen sink” to get Anderson, we still have 9 picks next year (maybe 8) including one in every single round.. like goodness, we used extra picks to get the best player in this draft, AND we have 135 mil. Notice none of the good teams have a lot of cap space… because they use it in FA which we will.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I laughed at “Christian Rasputin!” that’s so perfect

Sooty and justtxyank like this.
  5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tear him down all that you can, he still accomplished getting a degree and then his masters. Married a hot lady and has sold the program to get Demeco. I’m not so sure about Caserio although he has done fairly well. Depends on how you see this draft. I believe that like Mad Max pointed out Cal has chosen to stay in his lane and try to add a laid back vibe to the job.

macho GRANDE, Sooty and vince like this.
  6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Real talk. This makes me like him a lot. Mofo is a freaking gamer!!!!! An older gamer like the kind you carry through raids in Destiny 2 and don't say anything when he's rocking double primary. Cal's basically Will Farrell in Step Brothers. Except he inherited a NFL Team. F&ck Yeah!!!

[​IMG]

Sooty likes this.
  7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I have liked Caserio for a while as I think he did really well getting the Texans out of their mess.

One thing that really struck me the other day was him comparing himself to CJ in regards to not performing on the SAT.

I like that. It showed good leadership skills which is outside the normal thought for Nick who everyone thinks is a good robot.

Feels like the Texans are ran very well top to bottom. I just hope that translates to on field success or it doesn't matter.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It’s nothing personal against Cal but outside of the DeMeco hire, the Texans have easily been the worst run pro sports team since he has taken over IMO.

The jury is still out on Caserio for me. I really like the FA moves and draft class this year. But like Cal, there have been some really bad decisions made on his part.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You have to give them time to dig out of the hole Bill Obrien and the Watson disaster put them in.

Given what those two losers did to the franchise, if say things are looking pretty good all things considered.

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

At this point, we do not know if the DeMeco hire was a good one or not. First time head coach and his success in SF was behind a rock star head coach and with arguably the most talent in the league on defense. Let's see if he can do it without these massive advantages.

HillBoy, Sooty and justtxyank like this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I don’t think he means that he hired an amazing coach. But he hired the CONSENSUS best coach available. Something no one at all expected the Texans (a leprous team) would be able to do.

Fulgore and justtxyank like this.
  12. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Sean Payton was consensus best coach. DeMeco was the fans' pick... and my concern is that we went with the popular choice instead of the best choice. Happy to be proven wrong -- but let the wins and losses prove the point.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a little worried that the O-line might be overall pretty good, but still below average on run blocking. That was supposed to be Green's area of expertise but he wasn't great at anything last season. Tunsil is much better at pass blocking than run blocking. I'm honestly not sure on Howard, so maybe he's good. Is Shaq a skilled run blocker? It feels to me like the Texans have plans to be run heavy this season, partly because they have more skillset in that area and partly to take the pressure off the rookie QB. But those RBs need holes opened up to be effective.

14. vince

vince Member

The Texans are still reeling from the “inmates running the prison” comment, which the late Bob McNair made. The force of the entire civil rights movement folks descended upon the Texans, making them public enemy #1. We had the Hopkins, Brown, etc claiming that McNair was a racist, and the team needing to heal. FYI, I still think they gave away Hopkins because of the mockery he made of Bob McNair; as McNair may have died of a broken heart, after how the Texans players turned on him.

Since the day those comments were uttered and the national media ran with them, the Texans have been in a downward spiral towards irrelevance.

Cal McNair is rather introverted, but that’s fine, as his job is to sign the checks. If he lets his football people make decisions, it will bode well for the franchise.

moonnumack likes this.
  15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Good lord some of y’all will always have something… but classic hiding behind the “hope to be proven wrong” slogan of the pessimists. Sean Payton wasn’t even the consensus of the ppl in THIS CITY, much less the whole NFL.

It’s like you just thought Payton was the best so you assume the rest of the world did too. Along with your 3rd round grade of Bryce Young.

Fulgore and cbass like this.
  16. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Good point, Sean Payton would’ve also cost a first round pick and second round pick to even be considered a prospective coach here.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You are a broken record. You act like they gave up their whole draft this year and next. They got 6 starters in last years draft, they got at least 3 more this year. In their mind, they got their franchise qb and a franchise DE. They have a full draft next year. They then signed several very good vets to fill out the roster. They have the most cap space in the league next year and a full draft. We get it you didn’t like the Anderson trade so please give it a rest.

vince, macho GRANDE, cbass and 2 others like this.
  18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Well hold on, because if we did that then suddenly we are wasting our future and the only way to build a better team is through the draft and we need every sing draft pick we have to do that so that would’ve been the wrong move too right?!?!

TheFreak and macho GRANDE like this.
  19. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Exactly -- which demonstrates his value to the league as a coach. I'm not saying I wanted to give that up for Payton - I didn't. But Payton was the best coach by any objective measurement. DeMeco has never been a head coach and so we simply do not know what quality he brings. I wish him the best.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sure but they’ve also had some major self-inflicted wounds since (Culley, Lovie, Cooks, Losing #1 pick, etc…).

But also all the damage BoB caused wouldn’t have occurred but for Cal’s ridiculous idea to greenlight that GM by Committee. That was the catalyst to all the crap that transpired after.