1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the second half of the Lakers-Nuggets Game 5 -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. conquistador#11

A blue birdie just told me Quinnen Williams isn't happy with the Jets.
    As long as there are rumors, I'll use them.
    [​IMG]

Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Oh no! Go get Caserio before he trade next yrs #1, #2 and the #3. Lol

I would love Williams but Caserio is too loose with the assets.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. Fantasma Negro

How is he too loose?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

#1984 J.R., May 8, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I know Cal is an easy target…but I get a “stay in my lane” vibe from him that I like…and I think he’s sensitive to the fact that most of us think they’ve been boring for a really long time…I think he’s trying at least.

macho GRANDE, mikol13, whag00 and 8 others like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Whether its "stay in my lane" or "I have no idea how to run a business... so I'll stay out of the way"... hopefully the end result is similar, provided he made the right decision on who's actually running the ship (my guess is Demeco will likely have most control of everything by year 2 or year 3).

MadMax likes this.
  7. MadMax

I also think he loves Houston and feels responsible for his dad’s legacy here…I hear that in interviews from time to time. I can live with that, if that’s who he is. We could do way worse.

bigdaddy and red5rocket like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Indeed... although offspring of dead owners who never actually built anything on their own, inherited everything, and really have no qualifications or skills to be a sports team owner other than what their last name is, has always intrigued me in a "lets see the scene of the accident" sort of way.

Curious to know who's the most successful owner in sports history that inherited the team and really did nothing to make a name for themselves on their own? Clark Hunt seems to have had some experience prior to joining his dad, and he was involved in other enterprises like MLS prior to taking over the Chiefs. The Jones' sons seem to be following the same pathway (as did the Steinbrenner sons). John Mara was a working lawyer before taking over. Tisch is a film producer. Rooney also has a law degree.

Unfortunately Cal doesn't have anything close to the qualifications that the above offspring have... and again, that's fine as long as he hires the right people to take care of his bank. Mike Brown had a similar pathway and the Bengals were very bad for a long time under his watch... but he also insisted on being GM.

MadMax likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Premature release of schedule?

11. MadMax

Yeah, I could not care less what college degree Cal McNair has. I want him to care about the stuff I need him to care about while recognizing that he needs to hire people smarter than me and him to execute on that.

bigdaddy and Nick like this.
  12. MadMax

THEY USE THAT RED HELMET FOR EVERYTHING NOW AND I'M SO GOOD WITH THAT!

texans1095, mikol13 and red5rocket like this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes... but having a college degree does help with some of those important decisions for a multi-billion dollar business.

14. MadMax

I don't want him anywhere near the important decisions, and I like that I think he gets that too

gucci888 likes this.
  15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He earned a Master of Business Administration degree from the Rice University Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Management. He helped to build the business with his father

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Does spelling out the acronyms make it more legit for you?

Isn’t there a reason why he’s referred to as Tommy Boy?

raining threes likes this.
  17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He appears to be allowing the people he hires to do their jobs. He has made poor decisions and he has tried to rectify those decisions, calling him Tommy Boy proves nothing.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I think he’s shown growth and improvement in most areas. It was a total sh**show for a few years, but on paper he is turning this around. Didn’t Tommy Boy end up turning it around in the end? I’m seeing it trend the same way.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Pretty good take imo.

I think Cal honestly was too hands off to start his regime and unfortunately the wrong self serving people were already in house. How can you blame him after his dad passed? Big shoes to fill.

Cal is a sharper dude than people give him credit for and I think this time around he has really taken lead of the organization with Hannah.

Feels like this is actually his team so I hope its the real turning point since his dad has passed.

bigdaddy and MadMax like this.
  20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Cal got his MBA in 1995, 11 years after his Dad founded his business. He was still in school when Bob sold it off too. But sure he really relied on Cal’s expertise to navigate the sale.

I’d bet a lot of money Cal was doing a lot more of this growing up than actually helping build a billion dollar company.

percicles and jch1911 like this.