1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. RussE

RussE Member

Hmm...I guess Abreu DH's with Brantley at 1b.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I agree on the way-too-early part about knowing what their needs are until Altuve, Brantley, McCormick, and McCullers are back. I think a reliever is the most likely need. Will have to see how the offense shakes out when everyone is back. Of course injuries can change that...

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree. My list wasn’t really a prediction. If I were predicting I would also say they will end up going after a RP. Chapman and Hand both seem to make a lot of sense in the early analysis given their upside and cost. But the Astros always cast a wide net when shopping for RP so it’s very hard to predict.

4. Screaming Fist

If France continues to perform I would probably prefer him over another FA reliever unless it’s someone special.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That is one thing I feel pretty confident about; if Houston makes deadline moves, they are going to be for impact players. They have a bevy of hitters who project as league-average bats and pitchers who project as effective relievers. I can’t envision a scenario where they acquire a mediocre player like they did with Mancini and Vazquez last season.

I know Ohtani doesn’t make sense on the surface because Houston has a full rotation, a star DH, and a weak farm in terms of elite prospects. But he is by far the best player likely to be available and if adding him just means bumping Abreu/Brantley into a 1B platoon and bumping McCullers and Urquidy to the bullpen, it is easy to see how he could really improve the team. Say Urquidy, Gilbert, Barber, and Whitley for Ohtani.

Playoff roster:
    2B Altuve
    3B Bregman
    LF Alvarez
    DH Ohtani
    RF Tucker
    1B Abreu/Brantley
    SS Pena
    CF Dubon/Meyers/McCormick
    C Maldonado/Diaz/Salazar
    SP: Valdez, Ohtani, Brown, Javier
    RP: McCullers, Pressly, Abreu, Montero, Garcia, Neris, Maton, Stanek, France

#545 Snake Diggit, Apr 29, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
    snowconeman22 and travfrancis like this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Towards the end of season yea it would make sense. However, I feel like they need to keep him stretched out in AAA as protection for a starter getting hurt.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

No question Ohtani would be awesome and they can make it work for 2 months plus the post season.

However, pretend you are the Angels GM and the Astros are asking about Ohtani. What are you asking for? If I'm the GM the price is starting with Drew Gilbert and Bryan Abreu....

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The hypothetical I proposed above is probably too heavy, but I expect the bidding to be insane. I agree Gilbert plus an established big league pitcher (Abreu, Urquidy, Garcia) gets Houston in the conversation, but I’m assuming they will have to add at least one 2nd tier prospect (Barber, Clifford, Whitley, Melton, Leon) to that.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Why would they play a guy who has no 1B experience just to DH the 1B?

The only reason for Brantley to play 1B is to give Abreu a rest and I hope it happens at least once per week.

No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Two months of Ohtani is not worth the career of Gilbert especially to a team that will be in contention without him anyway. The highest bidder for Ohtani will be someone looking for a way to get past the Astros or someone confident that they can sign him long term. Either way that is not us.

The Beard, Snake Diggit and Redfish81 like this.
  11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I agree. The price would be too steep for the Astros.

12. Mattician

Mattician Member

Is there just no way Alvarez ever sees playing time at 1B?

13. Buck Turgidson

No.

No Worries and Wulaw Horn like this.
  14. RJ2311

RJ2311 Member

Kinda wish there was. He'd **** some boys up.

IBTL likes this.
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Hensley is not playing like the Hensley from last year. There is a fine line between having a good eye and being too passive. He needs to go back to Sugar Land and rediscover himself.

Where is the mad scientist who can make a Julks-Hensley clone? A player who has perfect balance between Julks aggressiveness and power, Hensleys patience, and can play 6 positions.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeremy Pena started off slowly so I think it's going a bit unnoticed but he's been playing a lot better lately, both at the plate and in the field. He leads the team in bWAR and is second on the team in fWAR. He's on pace for about 6.5 bWAR. Star level stuff.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

@Snake Diggit What would we have to attach to move Abreu? ;)

We’re stuck. :(

New 1B Michael Brantley

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It will not happen but he could be traded for another bad contract or as a financial offset to increase prospect return for another team. I have considered Abreu for Kris Bryant as a pretty fair deal. Of course that might be trading one bad contract for an even worse one.

J.R. likes this.