1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/2-62] Juice Scruggs, C/G, Penn State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 28, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of Juice Scruggs?

Poll closed Saturday at 8:41 PM.
  1. YES

76.5%
  2. NO

23.5%
  1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Too bad we didn't pick "Sauce" last year but at least we have "Juice" this year.

2. conquistador#11

NGL, I was so focused on 5 other centers familiar with the zoning that I have no idea who the F is this. But you can't call yourself Juice and suck so something has to give.

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

If you have extensive knowledge of college offensive linemen then you are wasting space in your brain. I'll assume the Texans know what they're doing here.

4. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Agreed. I thought Green was a great pick and so far hasnt worked out. Same with Dillard the year the Eagles took him You never with these picks and just have to wait it out.

Commodore, cmoak1982 and marks0223 like this.
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Yep

I know they don’t have a center, so seems good to me

Zen Tabak and marks0223 like this.
  6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Lance Z calls an OL pick rock solid. Should I give that more weight or a random basketball BBS poster? I’m torn here

whag00, xaos, Buck Turgidson and 12 others like this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Went to the same high school as Mark Stepnoski, FWIW.

(As well as Bob Sanders, and two of my good buddies). Dude has been coached well from the getgo, is what I'm getting at.

UTSA2step, vince and conquistador#11 like this.
  8. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

If Lance Z calls it a rock solid pick, I 100% trust that. Not sure if you're trolling or not, but Lance's dad (Larry Zierlein) was a longtime O-Line coach for a lot of different NFL teams, so I expect Lance knows good linemen when he sees it.

itzIce, xaos, htownrox1 and 7 others like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah but the coach that wanted Brown was one of the best offensive line coaches to ever live and he forced the pick.

Two Sandwiches and Zen Tabak like this.
  11. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable

BamBam, cmoak1982 and Joshfast like this.
  12. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Everyone online is an expert. Didn't ya know?

TheFreak likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Texans favored Scruggs highly on their draft board, and had made their intentions clear early in the evaluation process. Scruggs said he had a couple Zoom calls with newly hired Texans offensive line coach Chris Strausser. They “had a good talk,” Scruggs said, and it was the only communication he’d receive from the Texans until he received the draft call on Friday night.

“He said that he was interested,” Scruggs said of Strausser. “He liked the way I played and (said) if he has a chance, he’s going to take me. It’s just an unreal moment when you actually get that call. I’m just ready to go.”

There was a time when Scruggs didn’t know if he’d ever play football again. Back in 2019, back when he was a redshirt freshman at Penn State, he was flung from his vehicle in a spring break car accident. He suffered a fractured vertebra and a concussion. He was hospitalized for a week. Another week in his bed at home. He spent the 2019 season wearing a back brace and scootering to class, wondering if he’d ever return to the field.

“It went through my head,” Scruggs said. “At the same time, I wasn’t going to let that be the end of my career. I just knew it was going to be a long road, and I was just ready to do whatever I needed to do get back on the field again.”

Now, Scruggs is a formidable force, a lineman with a self-described “nasty” mentality.

“I’m trying to be as physical as possible,” Scruggs said. “Trying to outbattle the guy in front of me. Whatever it takes, I’m trying to win.”

#33 J.R., Apr 28, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    itzIce, rfrocket and Fullcourt like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. conquistador#11

Sure but even Lance was perplexed having other centers available with familiarity to the scheme.
    But I think Juice being able to play G should something happen to current Gs is what got Nick to fall for him. If you ever read my posts, I love what Nick does in the draft. Texans will pick up another vet Center during training camp.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I think since he's had shitty centers starting next to him, he should be just fine with this guy who is a definite upgrade.

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Positional flexability on the line" is one of those Bill O'Brien trigger phrases that irrationally sets me off

19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

That car accident sounds horrible. I will be rooting for him.

rfrocket and burlesk like this.
  20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I think he’s a day one starter. From that aspect, it’s hard to find fault with the pick.

vince and burlesk like this.