1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Frank Vogel "very much in the mix" to be next Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 15, 2023.

1. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

J.R. and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

The Rockets insiders are saying the new coach is going to likely be Vogel. While I like Vogel as a person, he is not in the same league as Udoke/Atkinson/Nurse. Vogel will start Nix for his defense and will revert back to the Dantoni small ball (which he loves) for many games. In two years we’ll be talking about when he’ll get fired. Time for this team to make the right choice and sadly that’s not Vogel.

xiki and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

DaDakota, J.R. and i3artow i3aller like this.
  4. MystikArkitect

If we run it back with KPj at PG it'll open up a lot of my evenings between October and April.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Udoke Nukem.

6. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

We should had known when they leaked he was coming back for the second interview, that he would be it, the rockets era under stone has been to always leak our moves to ease the fan base on our next move.

bmelo and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Vogul wouldn't be terrible, but it'd be disappointing for sure given the other options out there. I'd be worried about his ability to implement an elite offense, as well as mentoring very young/unfinished players. He had most success with a veteran roster in LA.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Vogel was instrumental in the ascent of PG13 and took an Indiana team full of youngsters and turned them into a playoff team. Is it really surprising when coaches win with GOATS and/or current top 10 players which all of the guys being interviewed have done to varying degrees?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/vogelfr99c.html

edit: Everyone likes quotes right?
    https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news/paul-george-shares-high-praise-for-frank-vogel

Y2JT and DaDakota like this.
  10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Paul George was really young, but out of the top 8 players in terms of minutes played, only him and Darren Collison were under 25. That's still a lot older/more experienced than this Rockets Team.

I like Vogul and wanted him when we were hiring back in like 2016. I just want a coach with a bit more fiery demeanor.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What other candidate has the experience of taking an unproven young team into the playoffs? The biggest concern for Vogel should be who would be in charge of offensive implementation. He would whip this team into shape defensively and I think the firepower we have on offense would take care of itself with some basic instruction and with the hope that the shooting ailments that come from the players themselves start to rise up to an average level. I guess shooting coach should be an important hire too.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Atkinson comes to mind. But I also think Ime and Nurse are just superior coaches. I'd rank Vogel 4th out of established candidates.

Like I said, Vogel wouldn't be terrible, I'd just be concerned about offense which has only been barely acceptable one season, and his demeanor to whip these young guys in line.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look this KPJ hate is misplaced, he literally was being told, to beat the entire defense on his own - no system, no plays, just go beat your man and pass it if you see someone open.

That is not on the player, that is on the coach and the org - KPJ is way better than most people realize, he just needs structure, the same can be said for Green, we got by on individual skill - now add in a system and they are still skilled but they have a plan.

This team wasn't bad because it lacked a PG, it was bad because the PG had no system or structure to run.

DD

bmelo likes this.
  14. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

I don't know why they keep saying Vogel is the frontrunner...We don't have any reports on how Ime's, or the other candidates interviews went.

He's covered the most by the media, so either he has the best agent or the org is trying to put pressure on someone else. Atkinson's interview is still pending, maybe they want to accelerate the timeline on that.

Anyways, I would be fine with Vogel, but honestly Udoka and Atkinson are much better options. Nurse would be great aswell, but he's a longshot right now.
    I simply think he's the perfect coach for this group. Even though his record might not reflect it, I always liked how his Brooklyn team played. His game management and rotations were good.

And I think his now 2 year stint with GSW is valuable. Look how much of their style has Mike Brown implemented in Sacramento. Mike effing Brown, who was widely regarded as an underwhelming coach at best, now has them playing great. We have a similar make up, with a F/C playmaker and athletic wings. We need a guy who can put the pieces in the right positions and design schemes that can utilise their talents to the max.

Atkinson would bring structure and creativity to our offense, and I think our youngsters would improve the most under him.

jayydela likes this.
  15. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Put me in the do not want Vogel camp.

BamBam likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am fine with Vogel, Atkinson, Ime, Nurse.....whatever.

DD

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

can't believe you knew it was National Look Alike Day

ezgif-4-b0c36faeab.jpg

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kelechi:

• “Lack of PG over the last 3 seasons has been the biggest reason they’ve struggled so much.”

• (Ime) “Can organize a team on both ends of the floor. He is a credible candidate.”

• (Vogel) “He really impressed the team with the ideas he brought to the table in terms of turn that defense and bring it up a notch and also the ideas he brought of how to utilize Jalen Green and Jabari Smith Jr. That’s why they’re going to bring him back for an additional interview.”

• (Borrego) Talented offensive mind.

• Guys like Kevin Young, Kenny Atkinson, all these guys bring some weight to a locker room. Whoever they hire is someone they have to get behind for the next 3-4-5 years and will be a key cog in phase 2 of this rebuild. They aren’t done with the process yet but they’re confident in their interviews so far and what comes ahead.

• (Kevin Young, Sam Cassell—Would it be hard to believe even an impressive candidate like them could still land this job knowing what they just went through?) It’s not impossible but whoever the next coach is, they want someone with a real name behind it. Nick Nurse, whose situation is still up in the air, Ime Udoka, Frank Vogel, Kenny Atkinson, those 4 are what they’re looking at. They need a real name. They went down the assistant route and saw how it turned out. They don’t want to do that again. They want a real coach with experience.

• (Who will it be?) Personally, do not aggregate me, I do end up thinking it will be Vogel. He’s won a championship. He built his pedigree off defense. That needs to be the culture of this team. He has enough respect to get guys to follow his lead and impressed the hell out of the Rockets in the interview and is coming back for a 2nd interview. I understand Nick Nurse is their top target and Ime is high on that list as well but we don’t know what Nick Nurse is doing and you can’t put your eggs in something that hasn’t happened yet. Me personally, if you ask me in a month, Frank Vogel is their head coach.

https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/fe...tic-talks-all-things-rockets-with-the-a-team/

Invisible Fan, Y2JT, Nook and 4 others like this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Do y’all remember how crazy that Pacers locker room was during the 13-14 season?

I really hope Vogel can lead all these young guys

Nook likes this.
  20. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

His ineffectual offensive optimization and his failure in Orlando would take him off the board for any young team.

Frank is a hard pass from me dawg

AroundTheWorld and Imanimal like this.