1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Or the vehicle will self report

ramotadab likes this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

ramotadab likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Of course not - not with the amount of batteries being packed into it to allow the range, assuming it's real-world range. Then you have this week it could be $60,000... next week it could be $100,000... because batteries, lithium, and who knows what else is going on in China, Africa, and with everything else involved. I'll be interested to see its release and the subsequent beta test for Dodge, though.

ramotadab, ElPigto, Sajan and 2 others like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Instead of lithium, what's the next, or next-next, generation of batteries going to be?

ramotadab and Ubiquitin like this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Solid State batteries have been promised #soon for the past few years and are somewhat of the more immediate "holy grail" in batteries thanks to being quicker to charge and nearly increasing range by 50-80% in some cases. Along the same lines silicon batteries. Mercedes, Ford, GM, VW, Honda, Toyota, etc. are all dumping money into these two techs. I hear varying reports about when we'll actually see cars running around with them. Like Honda was saying their solid state battery tech is expected to be in cars by 2008 or something. Other manufacturers I keep hearing as soon as the next 2-3 years. Who knows.

More immediately and mundane, a lot more LFP (still use lithium, though) batteries are being used by Tesla, Ford and others. They're less efficient, less energy dense, but cheaper and don't require nickel and cobalt. Almost sounds like a step backwards. lol.

Invisible Fan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

But they could be great for daily commutes and local errands, which is one reason why I think Ford is pushing these in Europe more than in the US. Over here, I suspect during this transition period of the next 5 years or so, a lot of folks will opt for dual capability as we did. We have an EV that we use for just about every local trip and most day trips. It's great to pull into the garage and plug in overnight. It's much cheaper to charge than an ICE rig would be to fill.

I now go 3-4 weeks at a time before putting gas in my truck. Yes, I still have the truck for transporting the dogs and because when I need to drive for two days to pick my kid up at the end of the semester, the EV isn't big enough, the extra time during a long drive does add up, and there aren't yet enough charging stations along some parts of the route.

ramotadab likes this.
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

They might try to compute it when you do the inspection. They take mileage then...easy enough to figure out tax based on a mileage range.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I've seen the future folks, and it's dumbass zoomers wrecking perfectly fine cars.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Interesting story in the NYTimes today:

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

CXbby likes this.
  13. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I've had my F150 order invite sitting in my email for a week now...I just can't feel inspired to pull the trigger despite knowing my Model S is on borrowed time (and I'm over it after this many years). Honestly, I feel I'm better off going carless than dropping so much $ for some of these vehicles.

The EQG looks nice though..EX90 seems reasonable and has a frunk (still angry at BMW for wasting our time).

Sajan and Two Sandwiches like this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Many people can't afford this.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

clos4life likes this.
  16. clos4life

clos4life Member

Cumulative effect starting to take a toll.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

It really should take a toll on the rest of the industry that recalls millions of cars a year then.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

I’ve said that I like the Kona and Ioniq but unfortunately it’s over for them now.

Space Ghost and Ubiquitin like this.
  19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The electric revolution is here.

20. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Wow ID4 losing all tax credit is shocking to me considering the batteries are made by a SK and LG in Georgia.

Chevy keeping all of their EV credit is a nice surprise. They had been so tight lipped about qualifying that I had assumed they would lose at least half.