1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

There's sooooo many players that can be our best shooter without being a nuisance. You are putting too much value on just one things amongst many more important things.

clutchdabear and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

In KPJ's defense, the organization contributed to the problem. Silas clearly surrendered to KPJ at some point. Silas saying at the press conference yesterday that he basically asked KPJ for permission to give JC some extra minutes says it all.

When you have a beta like Silas as the coach and a (problematic) alpha like KPJ being enabled by the organization instead of being disciplined and held accountable and put in his place, then you get these problems.

KPJ will need a clear hierarchy in which he is a contributor, not a leader. Then he can be valuable. He has some talent and skills.

But that ship has sailed in Houston. He should find that role somewhere else.

3. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dangit! Why did you have to put that last line in ;).

1. Hate Silas' coaching style (would rather have a tell not ask type of coach in that situation) - CHECK
    2. More accountability across the board (not just for KPJ) - CHECK
    2. Clear hierarchy, pecking order, scoring priorities (whatever you want to call it) - CHECK

I'm with you right up until that point. If I look at the team (TODAY) I don't see value, considering his contract in shipping him off somewhere. Like him or not he can score almost at will and has that wiggle and craftiness that allow him to get to his spots. You don't trade that away without at least trying to make it work in another role IMHO.

NewAge likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I understand that it is annoying to have to lose that talent, but we will not be able to fix our culture as long as this guy is in the locker room.

I recommend this post by Gary Vaynerchuk:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-you-might-need-fire-your-most-talented-employee-gary-vaynerchuk/

Here is an article about it:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/26/mil...need-to-fire-your-most-talented-employee.html

“The most important thing for your speed, your company and your service is internal culture,” Gary Vaynerchuk, self-made millionaire and best-selling author of ″#AskGaryVee,” said in one of his impassioned presentations to an audience of business leaders.

His message was clear: If there’s someone in your ranks who consistently causes drama or division in your team, be prepared fire them.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I prefer the wisdom of Al Davis:

[​IMG]

Rokman likes this.
  6. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

See your point, but guess I'm just not sold on KPJ being a cancer. Would definitely like to see him under a different coaching regime before making the choice to move him.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Maybe that will happen.

I mean, skills-wise, it would be a shame to lose him, it's not like he doesn't have skills. And I don't think he is "evil" or something, he just can't change his ways (even though he even said at the beginning of the season that he himself was sick of who he was before, the video is somewhere).

And he has actually improved on some things this season. I just have little confidence in him accepting any (perceived) demotion from starter and "head honcho".

I very much trust @Nook and him posting that KPJ has consistently been a d******d to staff the entire time he has been here put the nail in the coffin for me - if the on-court antics hadn't been indicative enough, that just confirmed it.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Even this guy who is a HUGE Sengun fan and a vocal anti KPJ guy can give him his due. :rolleyes:

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

--------------------------------------------------
    KPJ (22/23)
    .............Apache
    ............pre season.....Season
    Stat.....Prediction......(22/23)........diff......last 35 games
    Mins
    ........34.....................34.2........ --0.2................33.9
    Pts.............20.....................19.0........ --1.0................19.0
    Ast.............7.8....................5.7........... --2.1................5.7
    Ast%.........34%................25.9%...... --8.1.................25.8%
    Rebs..........5.5.....................5.4......... --0.1.................5.1
    TOV............2.7.....................3.2........ --0.5..................2.7
    TOV%.......14.7%..............16.0%.... --1.3%.............14.4%
    3P%..........38%..................36.6%.... --1.4%............37.4%
    FG%
    .........45%..................44.1%.... --0.9%............45.9%
    TS%.........57%..................56.2%..... --0.8%............58.3%
    FT%
    .........71%..................78.2%..... --7.2%............80.2%
    USG%
    ......22%.................24.4%..... --2.4%............23.8%

I Came closer than the average bear....like last season, once the
    worst record was locked in, players were allowed to turn it on.

You can talk the talk when you can walk the walk

Season almost over

You can find many of the stats here:
    https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=kevin+porter+jr.+ts%+in+the+last+35+games

#5649 ApacheWarrior, Apr 5, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

If this is true, then Silas is a ****ing idiot. Just another example of leaving talent on the bench to rot.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Heyyyyy welcome back to the jungle!

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think anyone believes that everything Kevin Porter Jr. does is terrible or wrong. If he didn't do somethings well, he never would have been drafted or given a roster spot. He has incrementally improved as a shooter over the last couple of seasons, which is impressive because he is miscast as a point guard.

The issue is how he has treated people in and out of the Rockets organization the last couple of seasons. He has consistently been a distraction in practice, has been thrown out of practice... the team employees do not want to deal with him.... he has had run-ins with other players in practice like Jabari Smith and Alpren Sengun.... he has resisted going to morning practices when his coaches have told him he should.... and that doesn't even get into the times that he has given up on possessions, and ALL of the off court issues.

Maybe he has magically changed in the last 60 days, but I am skeptical because that seldom happens. Also, there is little upside left for the Rockets going forward, if he does improve and stay out of trouble, the Rockets are going to be paying him a lot of money.... then the question of what position he will play long term comes up. He doesn't make his teammates better enough to be a good point guard, and he is best served as a SG, where he would do even better IMO because of his shooting - but the Rockets have Green there........ so that leaves being a 6th man.... do you want to pay a 6th man what Porter will make? How will he take going to the bench after being told this is his team for two years?

A whole lot of if's - and why I have said I don't think he is worth the effort long term.

13. Nook

Nook Member

There is so much wrong with this if you read the full quotes.

First, the decision of who does and does not play belongs to the head coach, ESPECIALLY with a young team.

So Silas says that ......he wanted to keep Christopher in...... BUT he was going to take him out for Porter because he wanted to make sure Porter was okay with it....... but once Porter said he was good with it, then Silas was good with it......

Silas response to be proud of Porter?

That is cool, BUT the real issue is why is Silas worried about what Porter will think if he wants to keep Christopher in the game? He is the damn coach....... so Silas is letting Porter dictate playing time?

This is absurd.... this isn't a veteran team, and there isn't a single player on the Rockets good enough to dictate playing time..... this isn't a situation with Paul and Harden where they are all world Hall of Famer veterans.

Also, how are these young guys on the Rockets going to respond if Silas is replaced and Nick Nurse or Udoka tells someone like Porter to get ****** if they try to dictate who plays?

The Rockets culture is so dysfunctional that they are oblivious to it - the head coach doesn't even realize it.

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Read the recent comments.

Silas praises Abdelfattah regarding the PNR with Jalen and KPJ. Claims he waited too long to implement it.

He said something similar with Batiste.

Now, he exhibits KPJ's growth by sharing an anecdote, that while it may make him look a bit weak, it shows maturity from the player who is constantly questioned on his maturity.

These are the quotes from a man who knows he is going to be gone soon and he's just trying to curry some favor for those who have helped him along the way, whether that helps them in Houston or whether that helps them find their next destination.

Nook likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I appreciate your insight and I dont doubt you know guys in that building. All of those things may be true. I try to keep my opinion on a player to the basketball court and apart from his body language after a bad sequence of events he has said all the right things about his own role and that of his teammates. He is evolving as both a person and a player and Im not closing the door on him moving forward - there is just too much talent to tap into. No offense, but if Fertitta and Stone like the player then nothing else matters. Some guys are just not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and continue to hold his past offenses over him. People can change. 22 year olds can mature.

He's not played like a top PG in the league sure. His defense is bad. If this team were a better shooting team then his stats would look more sexy, but it doesnt really matter to the fans who have already written him off. Is the team friendly deal that Porter signed a bad deal? YOu're not willing to pay him that money even when the new NBA TV deal kicks in? His contract will be peanuts when that happens and Stone took advantage of it like a good GM should. Lets pretend he does go to the bench as a 6th man -- Tyler Herro won 6th man of the year last season with a stat line of 20/5/4 and he is making around 30Ms per season. Does HE deserve his money because he doesnt throw soup?

Early on a good portion of guys here laughed and high fived when the kid would struggle. Mocking people like me who supported him and pushed for him to break out and become the player this franchise sorely needed. It doesnt appear he's headed towards stardom, but he contributes precise skills that win games in the modern era. To castrate him and have guys say things like he doesnt even belong in the NBA because of their own personal opinion of him as young man was always biased and that thought process infiltrated any relevant discussion to be had. There is always some ulterior motive or flawed reasoning as to when he plays well and THAT is where I call out the disconnect.

You're probably the last "insider" left and your input has always been valuable to this place, but even you can fall victim to bias.

Nook likes this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

jungle....seemed more like a g*y bar within a funeral parlor

Had to get away for awhile. Kept stepping on gun-tards and their secret sauce
    from all those daily circle j*rks. I probably have 70% of the board on ignore
    right now. Lol

Although Sengun did play better at seasons end.

I predicted: 28 minutes, 14 pts, 7-8 rebs, 5 ast and 33% (3P%).
    He may end with: 29 minutes, 14.8 pts, 8.6 rebs 3.9 Ast and 32%
    from three. I had Sengun at 3 or 4 3PA's per game though.

He did good

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I would not have paid herro what he got paid, i would not have paid poole what he got paid. I generally don't believe in that player architype unless they are ELITE offensive players, which these guys are not. However, the year herro got paid he shot 40% from 3 and was 1% below league average in TS%, along with a way lower TO% then KPJ so that comparison isn't really fair. KPJ has actually played way better then season then i thought he would, but the contract at this point is bad. If he was a restricted FA this offseason, he's not touching 16 mil a year

HardenReturns likes this.
  18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i'd rather he be shooting more even if his % sucks honestly

HardenReturns and ApacheWarrior like this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Likewise

It's important for spacing purposes in today's NBA

Must be a threat from 3 or resemble Ben Simmons at the "Dunker Spot"
    or standing all alone at the 3-point line.

No opposing team worries about Embiid/Jokic shooting 40% from three
    while only shooting .8 attempts per game.

astrosrule likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Don't look now but Kevin has his TS% up to 56 and EFG% at 52. This is his first season of posting league-average efficiency at his position (PG, for SG he'd be slightly below average)

His A/TO still isn't good but it's improved to 1.8 to 1, close to the ideal 2-1 mark

I hate his body language and emotional fits with a passion and don't want it within 100 miles of such a young team, but he's still only 22, has shown improvements, is showing real talent without even being put into an ideal situation (should be playing SG next to a real point) IMO. Very frustrating situation