1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Assessment] Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Apr 1, 2023.

1. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Only on homerfans is it a crime to say a chucker on a horrible team isnt very good

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

It really hurt your feelings that I asked you to participate in a discussion huh?

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You good dude?

Dankstronaut likes this.
  4. invocux

invocux Member

I'm not super high on him either but the reality is even if you are a real good bb team if you don't have a superstar in your team your chances are slim to none. Can't really blame it on Jalen.

5. MystikArkitect

No SG worth a damn has ever not been a 2 way player. Kobe, Jordan, Klay, Kawhi....all tenacious 2 way players. If Jalen can be an efficient 25/3/3 guy with clamps then he can definitely be a championship level player. But I'm also bullish on this archetype being much better than the heliocentric hub that sucks on defense archetype that so many people crave. Those guys win regular season games but fail in the playoffs. Get a PG that can play D and *distribute to our high level scorers* and we'll be in business.

6. invocux

invocux Member

I really can't wait Sabonis or Jokic's to do well in this playoffs to never see these takes ever again.

7. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

yea posting cringe memes is "discussion"

Jalen green shoots 40% and struggles to win 20 games a season. Thats just facts. Sorry you are so mad over it

8. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

lets be honest you are like the number 1 homer on here lmao

9. sydmill

sydmill Member

I see Green kind of like Sprewell with the volume turned up on offense but way, way, WAY down on defense. Similar mold though.

10. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I think it's a team thing more than any individual in particular. You see glimpses of him being pesky and sticking to shooters, causing problems. It's not just an individual effort though, defense is teamwork and communication and pride (and actually trying to win the games).

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  11. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Ah the meme hurt your feelers, got it.

[​IMG]

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  12. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Actually unreal that a grown man posted this

You have to be some kind of disabled :p

13. MystikArkitect

And personell capable of performing the defensive assignments. It's hard to have players who are defensive sieves. Best case scenario for winning would be landing any of Wemby/Miller/Walker/Hendricks and getting a PG. Can win with Scoot or Amen but it's going to be a while.

14. invocux

invocux Member

There's not a single thing more important than consistency in any professional sport. Green is basically Hatem Ben Arfa, Ricardo Quaresma atm. Probably a little bit more consistent than both. Can he be a Messi no way but he can be a Di Maria. Hope he gets there.

ilias likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Some good and some bad.

The good is he has started going to the line at a rate needed to be a high scoring guard. He has also shown to be fairly durable and capable of taking a larger offensive load.

The bad is that right now, his efficiency is keeping him from being playable on a winning team. His eFG% is like 48%, that has to improve.

Defensively, I think he will do better with a real coach and support staff. While he struggles against stronger guards, he has shown the ability to defend fast point guards. That was a nice surprise.

He is a little behind players like Anthony Edwards at the same point when it comes to efficiency.

Being surrounded by better players and better coaching will help some with the efficiency next year but I hope to see it be at least 53-54%.

I have long thought he was more raw than the scouting community, but I think it means he can improve more than more polished players. Also players with his level of quickness tend to take a little longer to really excel.

Believe It!, Deuce and fchowd0311 like this.
  16. Raven

Raven Member

How many more seasons before Green qualifies for his first extension?

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His handles are good enough but not elite to make it a heliocentric playstyle.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

With the new cba it’s after the 10th season.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Agree. But the rate at which they have improved is good enough where I think by the time he's 23-25 he can handle long stretches of being a primary ball handler. He's already doing it now without at least doing stuff like turning it over under full court pressure. Basically he can be like Shai where he isn't a Heliocentric player but still has long stretches of being the primary ball handler.

But I don't want to ever run a Heliocentric offense even if we get a player who is capable of doing it.

OremLK likes this.
  20. OremLK

OremLK Member

The only way I'd want us to run that kind of offense is if we have an incredibly versatile and skilled generational talent. I mean, we won a championship in 1994 essentially feeding Hakeem the ball and counting on him to pass out of the double team when it comes, with just a bunch of good roleplayers around him.

If you believe the scouts, maybe Wemby will be that kind of guy. TBD, and TBD whether the Rockets get him. (Unlikely, but let's dream.)

Other than that I agree. I don't see anyone on the current roster I'd ever be comfortable with being the sole focal point for the entire offense.

fchowd0311 likes this.