1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[4 weeks out] Clutchfans temperature check: Who do you want at @ 2?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sooty, Mar 27, 2023.

?

Who do you want at #2?

Poll closed Apr 3, 2023.
  1. CJ Stroud

13.0%
  2. Bryce Young

55.8%
  3. Will Anderson

15.6%
  4. Jalen Carter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Will Levis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Anthony Richardson

2.6%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Trade down

13.0%
  1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Lamar Jackson is injury prone, don’t want.

Rudyc281, Wattafan and raining threes like this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Bryce Young

Fulgore likes this.
  3. tc0330

tc0330 Member

give me anderson at 2, then trade up for a qb. we have the picks to make that happen. we might as well swing for the fences for potentially 2 franchise cornerstone pieces while theyre in reach

raining threes likes this.
  4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Was listening to an analyst the other day, don’t remember who exactly, and he said he liked everything about Bryce Young except for his size. Has anyone heard a similar take?

desihooper and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I want BY but I’m worried it’s going to be Stroud.

ROCKSS and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im trading down.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Let's go Antonio son of Richard!!!

8. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

This is still a tough one.
    Texans desperately need a quality signal caller and Young is the best in this draft.
    Otoh, he has some questions.
    CJ Stroud is also a nice prospect but he too has some questions.
    Texans also could do with a premier pass rusher and there is none better in this draft than Will Anderson.
    The idea of trading down also has appeal as it nets us extra draft capital.
    Decisions, decisions.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If the Texans can support CJ Stroud like the 49'ers have supported their QB's, he will be the best of the group.

I know Bryce has gotten the Steph Curry comparisons due to having a small frame, but CJ has the highest floor by a long shot.

The Texans are going to have a good defense with Demeco. A high floor guy surrounded with good offensive options is more than good enough to make the Texans super bowl contenders.

red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

The 49ers made Mr. Irrelevant relevant, in fact he is going to start over the QB they traded up for so if we want to be like them i say we trade back from two and get more picks to sure up more holes and depth and go with one of those lesser tier QB's but if we not going to do that then we need to draft young if he is there.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The issue with that, is that the Texans don't have a Deebo, McCaffrey, Kittle, or even a Brandon Aiyuk to put around a QB right now.

They aren't prepared for a late round QB to come in and be successful. That is just something they are going to have to build over the next few years.

They can get a good start on it at pick 12/33 though.

Next year they may even trade up for someone like Brock Bowers or Marvin Harrison Jr.

Exciting time to be a fan. Feels very similar to the 2014 Astros when they began turning the corner.

vjohnson likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If we can't find a trading partner, I'd go along with that plan. I fantasize about trades with ARI, SEA and DET to get more 1st round picks or in ARI case, pick up a 2024 1st rd pick.

tc0330 likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We are of like minds in this, just can’t figure out why Arizona would trade up since they don’t need a QB. I think they will most assuredly trade down unless they are enamored with Anderson.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The last comment, "enamored with Anderson" is the reason they might trade up with us, And it doesn't change our position if we're obstinate about QB with our 1st pick. But we'd have to sell the possibility we'd take Anderson at 2, which I'd like anyway.

It's just trying to get additional draft material because other teams are fixated on a player we "could" draft.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Ok that makes some sense. Don’t think it’s in play though. All this will probably play out on draft day. If the Texans don’t want a QB they will trade out to a QB hungry team for a lot more than they could get from Arizona. We at clutchfans might not be enamored with the QB’s in this class, but I don’t think that’s the case for a lot of other teams that think Stroud and BY are franchise changing. I don’t get the sense that Anderson is generating that much buzz since there are guys like Wilson, Carter, Smith and a host of other DL guys later in the draft. This is a very strong draft for DL.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The only thing we know about draft day is it almost never plays out as expected.

17. Rudyball 1998

Rudyball 1998 Member

Trade down, focus on OL or DL and work your way to Hooker for a future QB (wait for next year). We need so much and if you build up the Line then a lot follows when a QB has time to throw. Patriots were great at getting solid lineman to give Brady time over the years.

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Oline looks good outside of Center. There are quite a few that’ll be available in the second and third.

Fulgore likes this.
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

These are expected draft positions for Hooker and Houston picks [from Draft Buzz]:
    Houston 2
    Houston 12
    Houston 33

Draft Buzz 42
    Count Down 50
    Fox 55
    Houston 65
    ESPN 67
    MD DB 67
    Houston 73
    Sport News 73
    Athletic 74