1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

What was it last year and the year before that.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t think Dubon looked very good at SS last year. I don’t give a flip what he has done before that. I think Hensley’s bat outweighs his defensive liability compared to Dubon’s offensive liability. I don’t get your first comment at all. Hensley would be the backup SS until we have a better option (Leon as a backup for instance).

3. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

well, you can think whatever you’d like, but every statistical analysis would show Dubon was a solid defender at SS last year. And every projection would agree we have no concerns on offense but plenty on defense. It is harder to evaluate Hensley as he was not, never was, and never will be a major league SS.

Without Dubon there is no backup SS except Bregman, who is fairly important and not exactly an iron man.

The way Dusty uses Dubon is odd (though probably based on psychological things we cannot see), but he absolutely must be on the roster unless we have another solid left-side IF backup.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

mikol13 and Nook like this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I see your point. I just can’t stand Dubon in CF where Dusty will inevitably give him plenty of run. Hensley has played SS plenty in the minors and also played SS for the Astros in his debut. It is not an ideal position for him, but as long as it is spot duty I think he will be ok. If the Astros are concerned that Pena will get hurt then they should trade for a vet SS that has at least some semblance of an offensive game and won’t tempt Dusty to overplay Dubon in CF taking bats away from Myers, Chas, Dirden, or Leon eventually. Maybe they could just keep Dubon until Leon is ready who is already a better CF than Dubon and can also play an adequate SS.

No Worries and cmlmel77 like this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I agree.

I don't enjoy watching Dubon hit, but his defensive flexibility, arbitration salary, and lack of options gives him a stranglehold on a roster spot.

Jose Iglesias was picked up by the Marlins on a minor league deal this week. Would have been nice to bring him to camp at least.

Nook and cmlmel77 like this.
  7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I don't expect Dubon to get significant time in CF this season if the Stros carry both Chassy Fizz and Meyers.

Dubon is probably the 2nd best defense SS on the team. SS is a stretch for Hensley. I think over a reasonable sample their values at SS would be similar with Dubon providing more defensive value and Hensley providing more offensive value. (This completely ignores the possibility of positive offensive regression for Dubon, who had a near avg wRC+ just two seasons ago).

If it were as easy as finding a veteran SS that has the kind of glove Houston desires, hits decently well and is cheap to acquire... the Stros would have done it already.

I think you're severely underrating the value the Stros put on defense and even what the difference between a good glove vs " guy who can stand at the SS position" is. If you go back to 2017, the Astros were somewhere between the #2-#6 team defense every year except 2020. It might be the case of not valuing defense because we don't see a lot of bad defense.

Nook likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

The last game Leon played at SS was the 4th game of last season, if that tells you anything.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It was 16 for the last 2 seasons at short stop. He's well above average defensively at shortstop. He's going nowhere assuming he he's not Maldy on offense.

Utility guys that are plus defenders at all the hardest positions will stick around assuming they can put a bat on the ball at all.

#809 rockbox, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  10. rockbox

If Dubon could hit with an OPS in the high 700's he would be worth close to 20 million a year.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty good for a white boy

13. awc713

awc713 Member

I admittedly haven’t read a ton of this thread, but Dierden looks really impressive. I could see him making the opening day roster and especially if Brantley or anyone else is an early sit. He lowkey reminds me a bit of a Brian Giles type player. Hopefully we’ve found ourselves another one with Dierden. Funky stance but looking good. Anyone have other comps for him?

scott_summers likes this.
  14. awc713

awc713 Member

I admittedly haven’t read a ton of this thread, but Dierden looks really impressive. I could see him making the opening day roster and especially if Brantley or anyone else is an early sit. He lowkey reminds me a bit of a Brian Giles type player. Hopefully we’ve found ourselves another one with Dierden. Funky stance but looking good. Anyone have other comps for him?

15. rockbox

The numbers contradict your eyes. Statistically, he's been as good at shortstop as our gold glover and our previous platinum glover.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Something just wasn't right.

Jose Alvarez walks...

OK not THAT Jose and not THAT Alvarez.

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Jeremy Pena (Team Dominican Republic) vs Jose Altuve (Team Venezuela) coming up!

18. Buck Turgidson

Easy now...your numbers may need a bit of recalibration.

And I'm saying nothing detrimental about Dubon.

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

ISRAEL ?!?!????!???

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Whata a b****