1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Buck Turgidson

Just for ***** and giggles, this is what I'd do to start the season:

Altuve
    Pena
    Yordan
    Bregman
    Tucker
    Abreu
    Brantley
    CF
    C

Or, just for more fun:

Altuve
    Tucker
    Yordan
    Abreu
    Bregman
    Brantley
    Pena
    CF
    C

Nook, CinematicFusion and Kim like this.
  2. astros123

astros123 Member

Recommend yall to watch this. I love Valdez he's such a horse

marks0223, RunninRaven, Nook and 2 others like this.
  3. cbass

cbass Member

Meh. That’s his call.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Everyone is a fastball hitter.

Again, you're not wrong, we'll see how it plays out wrt the lineup.

right1 and CinematicFusion like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I like lineup 2 pretty well. I’d go:
    Altuve
    Yordan
    Abreu
    Tucker
    Bregman
    Peña
    Brantley
    CF
    C

Joe Joe likes this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

My ideal lineup would be

Altuve
    Bregman
    Alvarez
    Tucker
    Abreu
    Pena
    Brantley
    Meyers/McCormick
    Maldonado

I get the L-R thing, but last year the Tucker behind Alvarez went very well and they simply must find a way to get Tucker higher in the lineup.

Of course the problem is that this team has 6-7 guys who should be in the top half of a lineup. And if McCormick is in vs a LH his production level is top half deserving as well.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Assuming the old Bregman (aka second half Bregman 2022) is back, I would love him in the 2 spot. I also want Yordan batting in the first inning and Abreu to protect Yordan. You don't intentionally walk Yordan when Abreu is on deck.

Altuve
    Bregman
    Yordan
    Abreu
    Tucker
    Pena
    Brantley
    CF
    C

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Altuve
    Yordan
    Bregman
    Tucker
    Abreu
    Brantley
    Peña
    Maldy
    Chas

I like this lineup as the two best on base guys bat in the Top 3. Tucker, who's more slug than on base, is cleanup. I like putting a decent on base guy 9th to be on base for top of the order so Maldy gets put 8th. The thing I don't like is Brantley batting 6th. He's best in the top of the order to get on base, but I like Yordan and Tucker as better hitters. Peña and Chas (or whoever is in CF) have the ability to move up if they show improvement.

Edit: Caveat, I don't really care who bats 1-6 as long as they are hitting. I don't want a guy batting 2nd that can't hit.

Wulaw Horn and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is where I’m at. I like what I’ve seen from Meyers and Lee so far this spring so they’d be my primary options at CF and C. McCormick would be the backup at all 3 OF spots, and he can just slide into whatever lineup spot he’s subbing for. Same for Hensley in the infield; Pena wouldn’t get much rest but I’m fine with Hensley playing 10-20 games at SS. Dubon would be used for pinch running and in-game defensive substitutions.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

These are terrible problems to have.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  11. raining threes

Altuve
    Pena
    Yodan
    Abteu
    Tucker
    Bregs
    Brantley
    Chaz
    Maldy

12. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Chas as the backup outfielder because of how well he hits lefties. Give Tucker/Yordan/Brantley off days when there are lefty starters and Chas can fill in more than respectably. I also like what I've seen from Jake this spring.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I would probably hit Brantley second to start the season honestly.

At this point Brantley almost has a 1:1 walk to strikeout ratio, he has a 360-380 OBP and his power has diminished, while Pena has a lower OBP and has a lot more power.

The only reservation I would have is that Brantley is a lot better hitter when up in the count 1-0, and Pena LOVES first pitch strikes.... sandwiched between Altuve and Bregman or Yordan would give Pena a lot of 1st pitch fastballs in the zone.

Still, over-all I hit Brantley in the 2 hole and Pena lower in the line-up.

Altuve 160 OPS+
    Brantley 125 OPS+
    Bregman 133 OPS+
    Alvarez 187 OPS+
    Abreu 133 OPS+
    Tucker 128 OPS+
    Pena 101 OPS+
    McCormick 110 OPS+
    Maldonado 69 OPS+

That line up is a legitimate 8 deep.

I don't think fans even realize how much deeper this line up should be. The difference between Gurriel and Abreu is almost 50 OPS+ points. If Brantley stays health, he is a massive improvement and Pena is very likely to have an OPS+ in the 110-120 range this season.

It will be interesting to see what Brown does at catcher. Maldonado is the starter to the joy of the pitchers, but he has been breaking down lately and it is very possible that the Astros have to trade for a catcher at some point this season unless Diaz or possibly Lee look really good.

Bregatron likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Buck Turgidson

I've only watched parts of a couple of games and haven't seen him make a real throw (competitive situation)...

How does Meyers's arm look?

I sat here wondering for a second or 3 "we have a catcher named Brown?"

It's Spring Training for everybody.

cmlmel77 and Nook like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Guys like DeGrom are awesome....... but there is something special about guys that go out there and go deep into games..... Alcantara, Valdez, Verlander, Holiday etc.

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think it's funny everyone is posting their "ideal" lineups. We know damn well we might get to see that lineup 40 times at best during the season and that's without any serious injuries. Now show me your Dusty lineups with Dubon hitting 2nd.....

:)

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We are on the same page except I would like move Brantley into the 7 and 8 spot and move everyone up. I really want Alvarez to get as many at bats as possible and hit in the first inning. He's our best hitter. You would still get our right-left-right-left-right-left order after Altuve hits and Altuve hits well against both left and right handed pitchers.

13 in 33 and Nook like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I agree.

The only exception I know of, is I read that Pena was 4th in baseball in OPS on fastballs in the strike zone in 2022 and the only guys ahead of him (barely) were Judge, Yordan and Trout ........ now, that doesn't mean he has to hit 2nd, and I would argue pitchers will quickly figure out to throw outside the zone anyway, because he will swing - that is also why I think Pena has massive upside IF he learns to be more disciplined, otherwise he will be Vinny Castilla.

20. Nook

Nook Member

I think he has played maybe 5 games this Spring and I haven't seen anything either. He has mostly played CF but there hasn't been much offense against our pitchers at all.

Buck Turgidson likes this.