1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Your best bet is to go to some place like reddit and indvidual manufacturer/tech newsgroups or a subreddit like r/electricvehicles.
    For websites, try sites like Electrek, MotorTrend, InsideEVs, Electrifying, EvMagz, Motor Authority, ChargedEVs, Green Car Reports, Clean Fleet Report, Cars.com, Automotive News, etc. Those are some of the ones I have bookmarked, anyway. A lot of them do overlapping/redundant news, but you can always find news on some you won't find on others. Some are good for car reviews, some are good for tech reviews, etc.

ryan_98 and superfob like this.
  2. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Thanks for the links. Guess I was thinking this thread would be like the old smart phone thread where people were posting new features/models, especially in a rapid changing industry.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

6. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Looks like Tesla is doing a price drop again.

And man, that Porsche video dissuaded me from seriously considering one. That level of tech idiocy is unacceptable.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

https://electrek.co/2023/02/28/tesla-model-y-work-of-art-toyota-tearing-down/

Toyota's Just in time manufacturing system in the 1960s has been the biggest manufacturing innovation since Ford's moving assembly line, so their praise of the Model Y manufacturing design is humbling. But while Toyota is learning from the Model Y, Tesla is already moving on and recreating how to make cars all together with a new manufacturing method for their next gen $25k car.

You want to learn more about actual developments in the EV industry? This car is going to sell 10m a year and will change the landscape of the entire auto industry. Or did you just want to hear about the next legacy compliance EV announcement that will end up selling a drop in the bucket.

#1907 CXbby, Mar 6, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its strange how many people in this thread do not comprehend the demand for compact cars. The Corolla is not in demand because its sexy. Its in demand due to its price point and reliability. Also the Corolla has its limitations as a compact car. The Tesla compact car will have a lot more capability that will eat into the shares of mid size sedans and small trucks.

Im struggling to find a long term path for the American legacy market. Perhaps Tesla eventually acquires GM just for its factories although I do not see the full advantage.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

The next gen Tesla will have the sticker price of a Corolla, the total cost of ownership 30-40% LESS than a Corolla, the performance of a BMW 3 series, and the technology of a Tesla. People are not remotely aware or ready for this (and it is happening in the next 12 months). This is the flat screen TV moment for the EV industry coming down the cost curve except Tesla is the only one doing the manufacturing innovation to make it happen.

There is no bigger "development" in the industry than a 10m a year juggernaut that's about to upend the market. Yet people here want to talk about the next gmc Hummer ev that will sell 5000 a year lol.

#1909 CXbby, Mar 6, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Didn't BMW want charge a membership for some bs

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

What did you drive before this again?

I suspect that a lot of folks switching to an EV will like it. A more responsive driving experience compared a camry or your other run of the mill cars out there.

I will 100% agree Teslas charging infrastructure and experience is worlds better than the crap out there for non-Teslas.
    The other providers just need to stop with this app bullsh** and put a card reader out there. they might have no choice once more superchargers open up for non-Teslas. improve or die.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

With the minimal amount I drive, this is about all I need in an EV, does it count?

[​IMG]

robbie380 and IBTL like this.
  13. AWIN

AWIN Member

2017 Yukon Denali only for the third row seating, and even then the third row isn't very comfortable and to be honest it's the biggest POS I've owned. I lived in Austin and towed a boat around for nearly 20 years so was always in a Yukon or Tahoe, never buying another GM again even though the new Escalades look dope as heck.

Sajan likes this.
  14. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya screw GM lol.
    POS cars and trucks. I refuse to buy anything from the american big three.

Japanese companies better wakey wakey or their camrys and corollas are going to become collectables.

Xerobull and AWIN like this.
  15. KingCheetah

New Tesla camper concept unveiled.

[​IMG]

FrontRunner and gifford1967 like this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

I am seeing 2 more Model 3s on my street.

1. neighbor had a Model S (first edition) and they added a 3 for their kid.
    2. just saw a grey model 3...seems like the guy replaced his 15 year old Acura TL.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Awesome! Seems you live in a neighborhood of intelligent people. Lucky you! Which neighborhood by the way?

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

I mean I do live there also...so thanks?

also NICE TRY FBI.

Space Ghost likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

20. KingCheetah

Love that grill looks like an Aston Martin.