1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If we're not sold on a center in the second, we should get a tight end. One of the good ones will fall.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

With Anthony Richardson suddenly bursting up draft boards I wonder if the Texans should play with fire here.

Take Will Anderson at 2nd and know you can still get one of the top 4 QBs at 12.

I mean if someone jumps ahead of you and takes your #1 guy I'd be seriously considering just taking who is left at 12. The front 7 has MASSIVE GAPING holes in it.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. vince

vince Member

I always think about 2002 when the Texans selected David Carr over Peppers. Texans should have drafted Peppers built an offensive line and then selected a QB in a subsequent draft class. Poor Carr got something similar to PTSD with how much punishment he took with no OL.

Peppers should have been the choice, and perhaps the Texans would have built a culture of tough nosed trench football.

Texans need to pick the best talent and not feel like they have to pigeon hole themselves in one possible position. They have the 12th pick and there should be a good possibility that one of the top 4 QB may still be there.

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I remember him calling Patrick Mahomes the next great QB before he played a game. He’s not saying that here but I trust Louis. Wish he had a GM job.

Nook, mikol13, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  6. HstnSprtsFan101

I feel like this draft is loaded from a top 10-20 perspective. So many guys I’d love to have when we pick at 12. Last year by the time it got to #15 it was already meh.

Lukas Van Ness has to be my favorite target at 12 right now

cmoak1982, Rudyc281 and Shark44 like this.
  7. raining threes

Actually it's up to the DA's office to decide and they decided a misdemeanor was the proper charge. I agree with them. Pay the fine and case closed.

Yes, I did some street racing when I was a kid. Iwas blessed enough to not to have hurt/killed anybody.

Nook likes this.
  8. raining threes

Why do you care so much?

Guess what, kids do stupid stuff.

They were celebrating winning a National Championship and things went bad. The only person to blame here was LeCroy, she made the decision to drive drunk and street race. Terrible decisions that she paid for with her life.

9. raining threes

Might as well pick Levis if you're going to go that route. Just as much arm talent can run and was much better at reading defense, more consistent than Richardson. I would pass on both of them.

10. raining threes

Give me Hyatt over Johnston.

primtim24, Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  11. raining threes

This is my guy.

Although if you want Smith then you gotta take him at 1-12. After today's performance I dont see him getting out of the top 15 maybe even top 10. His numbers match his production.

12. raining threes

You forgot AA.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Thats just not true about reading defenses.
    Richardson is inaccurate on some short and intermediate routes, but reading defenses is not an issue with him. We are talking about once every 12-15 passes he whiffs completely on a guy that he shouldn't have.
    Joe Burrow had a 58% completion percentage as a junior at LSU..Richardson was at 54%. A difference of one missed pass every 25 attempts and that was with Justin Jefferson and Jamar Chase while Florida had probably the worst receivers in the SEC this year.

14. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

There is conversation on some NFL talk shows that the top 4 QBs could be taken in the top 10 picks. Lots of teams looking for a QB.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Spot on. If you put ANY QB on a team that is bereft of talent, then you can't expect positive results. David Carr's career was absolutely ruined by this. ... and it's an understatement to say that the 2022 Texans had below league-average talent. We need to continue to build the talent pool and then be opportunistic and flexible in how to find our QB. Choosing a QB at 1.02 overall in the draft in a weak QB class year is not the solution.

#3536 El_Conquistador, Mar 3, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

the David carr excuses need to die. He was in a bad situation, yes. He also didn’t care enough to be the best. He has admitted as much.

superstar qbs get drafted regularly in nfl history and they normally go to bad teams and are a key reason they get turned around

primtim24 and Nook like this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Why do I care? Because Im barely getting over the fact that we had a serial rapist on the team that handicapped this franchise. I'd prefer not to have high risk guys selected with a top pick. Everyone involved in that tragedy is to blame. If you think Lecroy was the only one drunk then you are being naive.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this. The racing and drinking is concerning to an extent, but the entire leaving the scene and the entire night screams at minimum immature. I really don’t want anymore troubles with this team.
    I love his talent, but if his decision making doesn’t improve he’s going to end up a bust.
    It’s a shame

Shark44 and Verbal Christ like this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Risk assessment should be paramount after the debacle with Watson - and Watson never even showed any signs that he was morally bankrupt. Same thinking on why I wouldnt go QB this year - Texans needs good, safe picks. They are in no position to take risks with a roster so bad.

Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.