1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 19, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

45 seconds?

Then guys will use it and we end up with games 5 hrs long.

I do think there needs to be a tweak though.

My idea is keep it the same until 3 balls and/or 2 strikes then add 10 seconds

It reduces the chances that a violation impacts the result of a plate appearance but keeps the sense of urgency.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I am skeptical of him, success for him this year is either a really strong year between AA and AAA as a starter or some degree of dominance in the Astros bullpen this season.

3. Nook

Nook Member

He would be an above average corner outfielder with the glove in the big leagues. He would be able to play center field in a pinch but would be below average and exposed over a long period of time.

rockbox likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

He seems a little more mature, his head isn't in the clouds.... seems a little more comfortable as well. He still sounds and seems really young for 25 years old, but at least he seems a little more grounded.

I wasn't overly impressed with his stuff, on particular pitches he looked good but he wasn't nasty. It is early though, and he he did look like he had okay stuff. I don't really like his fastball.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, he looks like a young Brett Cavanaugh on the Supreme Court.

travfrancis likes this.
  6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought his reaction to the arm slot question sort of looked like he was on the verge of going on the defensive. I wonder if that change to his delivery had any input from the Astros organization or if it is just what he decided to do in whatever training it is he has talked about in the offseason.

Nook likes this.
  7. mightybosstone

Hard to take away anything too serious from a single Spring Training game, much less inning, but some really promising things in that first. Doubles from Meyers, Abreu and Lee with the monster homer to center from Hensley. And then Garcia looking solid with two strikeouts in his first inning with the different windup. Glad I used my lunch break to watch a little Astros baseball today.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know how receptive he has been to Joshua Miller and Bill Murphy.

I know that Bill Murphy has had some success with him as far as talking pitching and supposedly keeps in touch over text,

Kind of makes sense, because Murphy is a young guy.

Strom had enough of Whitley when he was on the Astros.

All we can do is hope that Whitley was really sheltered growing up, and as a result he is a little delayed becoming emotionally an adult.

To be fair to Whitley, I don't know how well most people would handle stress and cameras and at 19 knowing you are the top pitching prospect in the big leagues - even at 25, I don''t know if i would want to talk to reporters.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Meyers - nice liner past 3rd base
    Abreu - very first rbi as an astro
    Lee - 2 rbi double off his first swing
    Hensley - nice dinger after falling behind 0-2

No Worries likes this.
  10. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Yeah only Spring training but hopefully Garcia found a new comfortable delivery that works for him. Was his velocity around this last year? Or new delivery increased it?

#350 punkoholic, Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    mikol13 and mightybosstone like this.
  11. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Liking Jake Meyers's at bats so far this spring.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That is a 2 tick increase over last year. Considering ST velocity is usually lower than regular season, that is definitely something to be watching in ST and early in the season.

SWTsig and punkoholic like this.
  13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has definitely looked more comfortable than when he came back last year. Ball is jumping off his bat too though not getting any loft yet. If he bounces back and Chas continutes what he did last year then we may struggle to find ABs for all our OFs, unless Yordan continutes to have hand issues and/or Brantley comes back flat (knocking on wood).

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Even when/if Brantley comes back he'll only start 60-70% of games.

If (big if)Meyers and Chaz can provide above league average offense it will be easy to get both guys starting 2/3 of the games. Our best team would very well have Brantley on the bench depending on park and pitcher.

16. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

That's an insane increase year over year, he throws that hard in the postseason, but not in the regular season

STR8Thugg and punkoholic like this.
  17. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chandler read savant wrong. Luis Garcia averaged 94 and max'd at 95.9 today with the fastball.

18. right1

right1 Member

Looking at average game length and average per game attendance per decade with ballpark figures. The attendance of mlb games has risen in correlation with longer games. Not sure where all this talk comes from that baseball fans want to buy tickets to see a shorter game

1950's 2:30/13K
    1960's 2:30/14K
    1970's 2:30/16K
    1980's 2:45/23K
    1990's 2:55/28K
    2000's 2:55/31K
    2010's 3:05/30K

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I want to buy tickets to see 9 innings played in under 3 hours. Mostly, it is for weekday games.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Attendance in every sport went up precipitously from the 70's to the 00's.

Baseball is the only sport whose interest has had a noticeable drop in the national public interest over that time. The rise of the NBA in the 80-90's really cut into it.

Baseball has gotten very, very slow. Almost golf like in the amount of standing around.