1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chop Shop Team Build

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, Feb 27, 2023.

?

Would this team make the playoffs

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. Play in

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I rock with you 99% of the time on this forum, my guy .. But my Gawd , that was painful to read.. And even more painful to envision..

groovemachine and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Well, I was quoting PER - which is largely focused on offensive production. I agree with you that he is not (and likely never will be) as dominant as Hakeem or even Yao (due to size) on the defensive end. But he is probably already a much better passer than either of them were at his age. Defensively, he can be adequate. Like Divac or someone like that.

If he ends up somewhere between a better Divac and a Hakeem, he is worth building around, in my opinion. And that's where I see him.

Aruba77 and Nook like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I was just joining in on the energy of horrible trade scenarios that are littered in this thread.

groovemachine and javal_lon like this.
  4. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I voted play-in, because James Harden has never missed the playoffs. There may someday be a first time, but if you give him a starting lineup of NBA starters you're in. Adding him straight up to the current team would be a lottery team still, but the additional trades prop up the playoff case. I assume a lot was given up to turn Sengun into Bridges and Claxton, and those two provide enough defense that you can live with a Harden-Green frontcourt.

That's not a contender in a million years, but it's a solid 7 seed.

groovemachine likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Assuming we are not gonna trade Jalen, Jabari, Tari or Sengun, what do we have to trade in order to really move the needle? I ask this because it’s possible Stone won’t entertain reasonable trade proposals for anyone 2 yrs or less in development. We can debate the reasons for this, but let’s just assume for a sec.

Hypothetically, do the Brooklyn picks, the Clippers pick, and guys like KJ and KPJ get you Bridges, Cam and Claxton? Because if that’s in the ball park, adding those guys along with free agent signings could really change things for this team. What do u think it would take to pry those 3 from Brooklyn?

groovemachine likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, he is already very good offensively and has untapped upside.

Imagine when his three improves, and he gets a little stronger in his core - he will be able to score a lot and he already is a good passer.

I think, right now the Rockets should try making him the focal point and see how he handles it - if someone else proves better at it, then we worry about it then - but right now we need to see how good he can be.

It is like the Rockets don't realize the league has changed.... there are players with similar games being very successful - Jokic, Sabonis

sydmill, Aruba77 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So, I just looked at Divac. I think we can all agree that the Divac/Webber pairing in Sacramento was pretty good.

Maybe Webber would even have been the better comparison for Alpi, at least stats-wise.

Here are their per 36 minutes stats at a comparable age (or, in Divac's case, his first season in the NBA).

upload_2023-2-28_13-21-20.png

Yes, both these guys had more steals and blocks than Alpi, but Alpi beats them in other categories - and remember, this all happened while Alpi's coaching staff was actively trying to keep him down. We only saw a glimpse a few times of how his production can go through the roof when he is actually featured and the ball runs through him.

groovemachine, Nook and Aruba77 like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, the number one thing you do is build a strong player development staff and you play and develop guys like Green, Smith, Sengun, Tari and whomever we take in the lottery this season. You don't want to move the Brooklyn picks because it is too early to tell how the young guys will develop.

The Rockets can trade for or sign a veteran point guard that can get the ball where it is supposed to go and you see how the Rockets develop.

Player development DOES matter, and there will be a lot of high draft picks on this Rockets team to develop.

The Rockets already have Smith and Eason to play the wings, and if they get the #3 pick in this draft, they likely will add Miller.

There are a lot of unknowns....... can Sengun play the 5 or will they need to get a center....... will we need shooting long term or will we see Smith and Green shoot like they are capable.

All we really know is we need a big point guard.

If the Rockets improve internally from good player development, and keep payroll flexibility and draft picks, then they can wait until the perfect fit comes along - like DeJounte Murray who is literally PERFECT.

Granted, it requires luck.......

But imagine rolling out a line up of

Sengun
    Wembanyana
    Smith
    Green
    Murray

#68 Nook, Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Brooklyn rejected an offer of four first round picks for Bridges at the trade deadline.

Claxton is the youngest DPOY candidate in the NBA. He's arguably just as valuable as Bridges.

#69 Mathloom, Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sorry to quote myself (lol), but I thought this was interesting:

https://sactownsports.com/sacramento-kings-assistant-coach-domantas-sabonis-chris-webber-stats/

Doug Christie says he hasn’t seen the stats Sabonis is putting up ‘since C-Webb’

Well, Alpi is tracking way ahead of Sabonis at the same age...where does that put his ceiling?

And - C-Webb ended up playing PF next to Divac.

I don't see why we couldn't play Sengun and Wemby next to each other. Zero reason not to.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This - Murray, Harden, even Tyus Jones - it would be super exciting, especially if you manage to have Tari, Garuba, a more developed TyTy and possibly KMJ in the mix as well. I would argue this team becomes a contender.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And Jalen Green is 8th all time in ppg for a 20 year old. But no one is saying he's the next Kobe.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think he has tons of potential. Like the other guys, he hasn't received the coaching he should have been getting. That's why it is so important to get a proper coaching staff as soon as possible.

I have in fact said that I think he has the potential to lead the league in scoring, and I sure as hell hope he realizes that potential.

He needs consistency, focus and at least an adequate effort on defense - and a coaching staff that maximizes his talents and those of the other players.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I hope he is the next Kobe, well Kobe wouldn't be as great in this era - so I hope he is the next Harden or a better version of Bradley Beal.

I will be happy with Green if he is an efficient volume scorer that defends his position well enough and improves on the little mistakes he makes.

He is a cornerstone piece for the Rockets.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Damn .. should've caught that because I use the same method on some of these folks threads. Lol

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Alpi’s game reminds me of C-Webb a lot, I think Alpi will develop his mid range/3 point shot and reach all star level in the right system.