1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Athletic) Rafael Stone: 'this is not a job anyone can do perfectly'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Feb 23, 2023.

1. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Murray isn't that good. He's alright but since he's so old he might not be any more than alright. He's older than LaMelo and Wiseman. If you wanna hate on the pick say Ivey or Sharpe cause they're more upsidey.

rockets1995 likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Given modern sports science, being older and having less mileage on your body isn't detrimental.

1 or 2 years older is not worth bickering about.

Kawhi was also developed very late and not even within the lottery.

3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Wasn't Kawhi 20 when he was drafted? 22 is basically geriatric for prospects. Not saying it's always the case but obviously young dudes have more runway. Keegan isn't just older, he's ancient. At the very least he doesn't have the usual excuses the youngins do. 11 and 4 at 22 years old doesn't really blow anyone away.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Close to 21, his Bday is on June or something.

What I was saying is that he was 23-24 or something when he developed his Offense.

But you can be rest assured, the Rockets won't touch an old rookie anytime soon unless it's 27 year old Luis Scola and that wasn't an automatic.

They don't think outside the box anymore without Morey. Or maybe it's just Witus.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I found out that Keegan got a very late growth spurt and also got late into school itself.

Better late than never.

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/dont-let-age-deny-keegan-murrays-tantalizing-nba-ceiling

Some Benjamin Button ish.

BigShasta, Ren ason and lakersuck2 like this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think there's possibly a market inefficiency in terms of over selecting the teenagers these days. Let's say the average rookie lotto pick plays 7 years for your franchise - you'd much rather it be years 21-27 than 18-24, you're getting a lot more production that way!

Everyone wants to draft the youngs because they project the ceiling higher - but not everyone, and in fact more often than not, hits that ceiling.

I can't empirically prove it to be true but it would be interesting to look at the 5+ year ROI of olds v youngs at similar draft spots - barring the very top where the super prospects like LeBron, Luka, Zion skew it vastly in favor of the youngs.

7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Keegan Murray is like Eric Gordon/ CJ McCollum type

Jabari Smith has alot of Potential, with his hard work ethic

8. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

At least I would have drafted Evan Mobley over Jalen Green. I think that alone makes me a better GM than the Houston Rockets.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. i3artow i3aller

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would sacrifice scoring too when I have a DPOY candidate who could defend multiple positions and isn't bad at Offense.

Evan isn't Jabari, I think they are different.

Evan grasps he is not going to be known for chucking 3s.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's pretty clear Silas is gone but the Rockets are too cheap or don't want to fire him until later because of optics.

I think it does both sides a disservice but that's the way it's going to be.

Rockets should do a total housecleaning - new coach, new GM, no owners sons involved, no sacred cow players either. Start getting rid of the busts, don't overvalue them bc you drafted them.

But it's Tilmans team, he can do whatever he wants

Nook, AroundTheWorld and Von Rafer like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is what 21 - he isn't old.

DD

13. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

He's 22 as a rookie. He's older than KPJ. And averaging a cool 11 and 4.

xaos and i3artow i3aller like this.
  14. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I agree that you'd want more of the prime years but the idea is that if they come in young, you'd have more time to shape and mold him into a better player before they hit their prime. Obi Toppin was the best player in college, came in old and barely got any better since then. Duarte came in as a dinosaur, was serviceable then just stayed as that. I'm sure there are good cases for oldies too like Dame but usually the best guys are already awesome from like 13 so they don't make it to 22 before they're drafted. Also want to reiterate that I'm cool with 20 year olds, hesitant but ok with 21, but draw the like at 22.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would think the average comes in at age 19 or 20 and that Keegan is just an anomaly.

Also he is at 11. 9 ppg now. :D
    On a Top 6 team in the West.

I wouldn't worry that much.

#115 daywalker02, Feb 25, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Except in terms of value, rookies are extremely cheap. The best rookies will always outperform their contract, and the worst rookies are never a huge mistake because all else equal, rookie contracts are cheap.

It's why the best
    Exactly wrong actually. Rookie contracts are artificially undervalued because the best rookies will ALWAYS outperform their contract, while the worst rookies (on a per dollar basis) are cheap mistakes.

When you factor in artificially low risk due to contract constraints, it will ALWAYS make sense to bet on upside.

Using that logic, on an ROI basis, anyone that wants any prospect over wemby, is mathematically wrong(and probably stupid).

17. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I'll just respond by quoting this particular sentence. There seems to be a massive amount of complaints this year, and the Rockets are essentially doing exactly what everyone hoped they would be doing, which is getting a high lottery pick.

All of these nitpicking complaints are just that. If we won 60 games, people would be happier, but there would still be a list of complaints like this. I choose to see the path that is still available to the Rockets and not in jeopardy.

Do you really think Silas should be fired mid-season on a rebuilding team that is bound for the #1-5 draft pick? I'm guessing the answer is no... Stone shouldn't be an a-hole and do that. He should wait until the offseason.

Do you really think Stone should be in the papers talking about tanking and inviting the NBA commissioner to take action against the club? I'm guessing the answer is no to that one as well. Keep in mind the NBA and media LOVE to screw the Rockets and have done it in more ways than I can count.

KPJ is a toxic locker room presence? I'm guessing that's why I see photos of him vacationing with Green. Also, if you recall, Christian Wood was traded away, so what's the complaint there??

DaDakota likes this.
  18. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Excuses

daywalker02 and Little Bit like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The best alternative blueprints rarely work.

You have a tech guy like Ballmer willing to invest big and hire winning, competent NBA legends like Jerry West to oversee process.

Revamp the whole beehive.

The Rockets right now could only dream of those things.

Well, Bobby Myers' contract is running out, make a run?

Easy likes this.
  20. caneks

caneks Rookie

It is true that no one can be a perfect GM, It is also true and a fact that this team shows no clear vision and direction for the future in your tenure.

What a mess.