1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you call what Stone and the Org are doing, tanking?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 18, 2023.

?

Has Stone set this team up to tank this year

1. Yes

71 vote(s)
    91.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. bigred77

bigred77 Member

Public perception, a fresh start, a new voice, a clear turning point in organizational strategy…

Somebody has to fall on their sword… I suspect Silas already knows this

Corrosion likes this.
  2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Any team that ststts KPJ at pg doesn't want to win

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is hard to tell from what he has been giving the public or what he has been hiding from the public.

But from his words that he isn't satisfied I could sense that he expected more from this group.

4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I'd call it organisational incompetence tbh.

BelgianRocketsFan, Nook and DaDakota like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stone(preseason) "Our approach is that our very, very young team, we want them to play very, very hard, and if they do that, we're going to be happy," Stone said. "That's regardless of the number of games we win or lose. I can unequivocally tell you it's not our goal to lose games again this year. I do understand that looking at the way the draft plays out, I get that people say that maybe we should. We believe, let the guys dictate it.

DD: “Rockets are NOT tanking this year. Hallelujah! This is refreshing, let the young guys play and live with the results.”

Stone(mid-season) “Our goal has just been to acquire talent and acquire it and see where it would go and give these guys lots of minutes, and try — in some respects artificially — to speed up their progress,” Stone said.”

DD: This, to me, is tanking.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

DD doesn't remember what he says most of the time

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We circle jerk around the term 'tanking'.

We need to let this part of the journey go and focus on moving on.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Strange thread.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

No. But we are that bad. So it's going exactly as planned.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

See the post above yours.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes, that's the crowd that wants to teach the kids how to be good players, do the right things, improve their shooting, play better defense, run set plays for players, take advantage of all the guys' abilities, etc., but somehow still be tanking and have a bad record. So, it's kind of like "have all of them improve, but somehow make sure we still suck to get Wemby or a top pick".

But, in any case, that doesn't answer my question. You think in a tanking situation, a coach is going to dictate whether to tank or not? I'm pretty sure if the organization says "ease up on the wins", the coach complies to some level. But like I said, it's either that or our players just aren't as good as we think they are. Too early for me to tell what's what.

12. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Any Organization that keeps Sil@ss this long is tanking…….or they don’t know what the F*** they are doing ..
    I hope it’s not the latter.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How many more years would you need?

#33 AroundTheWorld, Feb 18, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    houston#1 likes this.
  14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Are the Rockets speeding up the process for their young players? Can you artificially speed up a player's evolution from teenager to solid NBA player?

Deckard, Nook and Corrosion like this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How many more years would I need to do what?

In reality, I really wouldn't care since whether the Rockets win or lose has no real-life bearing on me, for the most part.
    As a fan, I've already stated that I'm hoping the tanking is done by next season and expect them to start improving next season. It's rare for tanking/sorry/rebuilding teams to turn things around in a couple of years, so I'm willing to wait another 2 or 3 years of losing records as long as I see improvement. In that time, hopefully we'll hit on some draft picks, make some acquisitions through trades or FA pickups during the seasons to improve. This season? I couldn't care less.

I'm merely stating, if you want to judge Silas now, you're basically saying you know they're not tanking and he sucks as a coach or you don't want them to tank, so fire anyone/someone (the do something crowd). The latter makes no sense because if they're tanking, it's not Silas' choice and anyone that comes in here is going to be subject to the same request to tank (assuming they continue to want to tank).

In the end, I hope to see some improvement next year. If we're still battling and praying for a top-4 pick next year, it better be in conjunction with us having about 30 wins. In reality, I'm braced for some sucky seasons in the future.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Fixed it for you.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Can you honestly day that you are not disappointed with the play of Jalen & Jabari?

I think every last one of us here had higher expectations than either of them have produced - even if they weren't your choice in either case.
    We all expected Jabari to be able to shoot a high percentage - he's sub .300 from deep.
    We all expected Green to be able to score at an efficient rate .... he's been very underwhelming and if he isn't scoring he isn't having a positive impact at all because his defense is atrocious.

We all expected more, no reason Stone shouldn't have.

Y2JT and daywalker02 like this.
  18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

foregoing wins in order to acquire and develop youth is the definition of tanking. so yes we're tanking.

the problem is Silas is not developing these prospects. the longer we wait the less chance they have to reach their full potential.

next year Jalen will be in year 3. if Silas is still the coach that's like putting your kid in Rockets Elementary School for kindergarten and now they're in second grade and no one taught them to read yet.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The more I watch, the more I start thinking that these guys just aren't good at basketball.

They are so lacking in the fundamentals of the game, all they are is physical potential.
    They run fast and jump high or have a quick first step but they don't have a clue what to do next.
    They are all terrible shooters .... Silas offense generates tons of open shots for all of them and every one of them chucks up enough bricks to pave the yellow brick road.

Physical potential is why they were drafted - they still have that physical potential ... but they are so inexperienced it's going to take several years for any of them to develop to finished products.

Much of this is the nature of the league where teams gamble millions of dollars on kids who exhibit some trait that leads talent evaluators to believe that kid has a chance to be the next big thing .... and they draft these projects over guys who spend 4 years in college and are much more mature as players and men.

These kids are drafted on a ceiling that few ever reach.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't understand your argument, but anyway - Silas better not be the coach next season. It doesn't matter that we are tanking, he is terrible.