1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO Series] The Last of Us (beware spoilers)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

How long have you been a social justice warrior?

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

that new leader lady seems like she might be into the indigo girls, if you catch my drift.

i hope she is...maybe that will the be straw that breaks the camels back for the right wingers watching this show.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

Will they be bearded? Asking for a friend.

4. dmoneybangbang

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not a gamer and didn’t even know it was based off of a game until two weeks ago and only started watching last week. I only found out it was about Cordyceps a little while ago when a piece came up in my news feed about The Last of Us and cordyceps. I had previously read articles and seen nature specials about cordyceps and thought the idea of a fungus turning ants into zombies was interesting.
    Except that the characters were in the source material. This isn’t just adding “woke” elements to where there is existing story like in Rings of Power but this is expanding on the back story of characters that not only were in the existing story but are gay. If your argument was done because it’s woke that’s not just an argument with the current show runners but with the original game creators.

If I recall on the debate regarding the casting of Rings or Power you made the point that instead of adding on elements to preexisting stories to make things more “woke” like changing the racial makeup of Elves and Dwarves that writers should instead make original content that starts out like that. In The Last of Us the characters are originally gay so it’s doing exactly what you asked for and as you acknowledge was done well. Now you’re arguing that it doesn’t fit with the story and is being done for political reasons yet it is based on the source material.

Yung-T and dookiester like this.
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

I have always wanted for movies and shows based off of anything original to stick to the source material. I will always stand for that and never argue against it. In this show I'm not arguing against Bill being gay. I may not be a hardcore gamer but I do play games, I've played The Witcher, Halo and currently paying Dead Space. I have not played The Last Of US but was considering playing the PC version in March. However my understanding is that Bill and Frank are implied gay in the game. This whole episode does not exist in the game. The only source material this episode has towards the game are the names Bill and Frank.

Episode 3 could have had a gay Bill and Frank and I honestly wouldn't have cared. Its implied in the game so there is no reason to change that in the show and make them straight. My problem was dedicating an entire episode to a subplot that wasn't asked for and wasn't in the game. Yes they have the freedom to expand on the world they are creating for the show. No, I don't think they should use that freedom to push political movements. I do think this show will shift into a higher gear, I think it is only going to get more and more woke as it progresses.

What's crazy is that Bill and Frank are pretty much safe through out the majority of the show, they only had one encounter with raiders. They live in their own world and grow old together. They enjoyed life up the point that they decided that there was nothing more they could ask for or experience so they committed suicide together. This show was a love drama about two gay lovers living a safe but somewhat different life. That's not source material, that's not even in the same genre. So how did this episode end up in a zombie apocalypse series based of a popular video game? You know the answer.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've got to ask: how did you handle high school or college English literature classes when asked to analyze allusion, allegory, metaphor, etc.?

Do you think Moby Dick is just about a big whale? Were you upset any time Thoreau wasn't describing the pond?

#427 mtbrays, Feb 9, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    Yung-T, GRENDEL, marky :) and 2 others like this.
  8. Salvy

Salvy Member

Are you insinuating that episode 3 of The Last of Us should be seen in the same light as English literature?

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, I'm insinuating that your complaints about anything other than straightforward, beginning-to-end zombie action suggest you don't understand how stories are told.

Was everything in Mad Men, other than Don Draper pitching new clients, a waste of time because it wasn't about advertising?

#429 mtbrays, Feb 9, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  10. marky :)

marky :) Member

Probably thought Life of Pi really had animals on the boat with him.

mtbrays and dookiester like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes it is a love drama about two people in the world of the story. As stated earlier it's "bottle show" which most series do. They have an episode that while not directly part of the central arc helps explore a side story and / or characters, that help to flesh out the world. In this case it helped to explain why Bill was important to the main characters, but also gave another dimension to the World of Last of Us.

mtbrays and Xerobull like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It's a very good story and should be considered for several awards. It certainly could be something discussed in a college English lit class.

Yung-T and Xerobull like this.
  13. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

How am asking for zombie action beginning to end? I'm merely stating that episode 3 mainly evolved around 2 gay characters. It told their stories more so than the story the show is based on. Yeah, every series has build up "filler" episodes but I can't recall a series that went so far outside its genre or universe. Why not show these two characters actually surviving, the whole world is going up in flames and these dudes out here eating strawberries and giggling.

Its been done before, lets take Titanic as an example. Jack and Rose met under an unusual and tragic circumstance. However the movie never lost its purpose and vision. You never forgot these two were on a historic ship and that every minute they inched closer to its tragic end. Despite hours of dialogue/romance and the ship not sinking we could never say that the Jack and Rose story could have been a standalone movie. We didn't get Jack and Rose living happily in the ship for 3 days all while the ship sank in the background offscreen roll credits... The romance was tied in with what was happening and what was happening impacted the romance altogether.

I'm not expecting a 3 hour feature length episode but showing Bill and Frank actually bonding through survival would have been a better approach. Why survival? Because that's what this series is about. Its not about sexual preference, or political stances. They made it about sexual preference and politics. Like it or not they chose to dedicate a single episode towards a movement. Yeah it will probably win tons of awards because that's what getting celebrated now n days. They didn't have to remove the gay aspect of these characters to actually build them up and give them a deep arc. Instead they made them gay and that's the depth of Bill and Frank. We should celebrate them because they are gay. They are brave because they are gay. The story is supposed to be touching and inspiring because they are gay. Remove the gay aspect of the episode and it falls apart as just two dudes living together. That's your masterpiece?

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Can we ban Salvy from the thread?

Yung-T likes this.
  16. dookiester

dookiester Member

I see he's still here thinking and writing about episode 3. My dude spends more time thinking about it than people who actually enjoyed it so probably he secretly enjoyed it and is angry at himself and can't figure out why he enjoyed it so much. Everyone else moved on and waiting for tonight's episode lol

Yung-T, mtbrays and IBTL like this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Oh, shlt. Thanks for posting that. I didn’t know ep5 is tonight. I suppose so it doesn’t conflict with the Super Bowl, ‘eh.

Yung-T, marky :) and Xerobull like this.
  18. clos4life

clos4life Member

Let's hope episode 5 is as good as 1, 2, and 4! Hoping for no more boring garbage like episode 3

Xerobull likes this.
  19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

YESSIR

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Is ep 5 the same time as it usually is on Sun?