1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mock (Draft) the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Oct 3, 2022.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. HstnSprtsFan101

Only going to be possible if we trade up to #1, which would suck

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Bryce is not the best prospect in this class. He’s not a no doubt number 1

eliefor3, vince, jch1911 and 3 others like this.
  4. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

He is our no doubt number 1 but I wouldn’t mind going defence

raining threes likes this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe some of the fans, but that’s no guarantee the Texans see it like that

Verbal Christ and raining threes like this.
  6. Fantasma Negro

Very peculiar they used that picture

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Houston — Bryce Young, Alabama, QB

This prediction has nothing to do with selling tickets, although it’s not hard to imagine a season ticket waitlist forming around a revamped Texans team coached by former linebacker DeMeco Ryans and quarterbacked by Bryce Young, the 2021 Heisman Trophy winner. The Texans simply need a quarterback. There will be questions about Young’s proneness to injury with a (listed) 6-foot, 194-pound frame, but after thriving in former Texans coach Bill O’Brien’s offense at Alabama for two seasons, Young has proven he’s the most proficient passer in the draft.

12. Texans — Bryan Bresee, Clemson, DT

The Texans surrendered the most rushing yards in franchise history in yet another horrid defensive season in Lovie Smith’s four-man front scheme. While Roy Lopez, a 2021 sixth-round pick, and Kurt Hinish, an undrafted rookie, showed signs of progress at times last season, the Texans could supremely use reinforcements along the defensive interior. Bresee, the former top recruit of the 2020 class, is a 6-foot-5, 305-pound menace who’ll showcase his capability to disrupt opposing backfields during the draft process.

rfrocket and vince like this.
  8. raining threes

Yuck

A midget and another Clemson guy.

You think they have learned from the past.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  9. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

That would be a love/hate draft for me!
    LOVE the Young pick at 2, hate Bresee at 12.
    He just worries me with his injuries and lack of production.

Tell you what, even though it's not a position of great need at #12 I would run to the podium with "Devon Witherspoon" written on it!
    I think he's the best cb in the draft and bpa here!
    Would make a great pair with DSj!

Also if it breaks like that it means that no matter what Pit. does at 2-1 one of Jalin Hyatt or John Michael Schmitz will be there for us! (I'd take Hyatt - unicorn).

Or (for the Bijan Robinson fans) with BR dropping to #30 do we take #33 and a 4th (or 4th and 6th) to move up for him?

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Houston Texans: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

In this trade-free mock draft, the Texans are happy to sit back and get their guy at No. 2. Young is the difference-maker this new coaching staff needs to build around. His poise and accuracy are special, and he totally played up to the hype in his two seasons as an SEC starter. The size concerns are valid, but you’d be a fool to talk yourself out of drafting Young. — Olson

12. Houston Texans (from Cleveland): Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

We got Young at No. 2. Now we’re getting a go-to receiver for the franchise QB. It’s not hard to upgrade at this spot from last year’s crew of Brandin Cooks, Chris Moore, Nico Collins and Phillip Dorsett. Johnston is a freak athlete at 6 foot 4 and 215 pounds who is still just scratching the surface of his pro potential and should impress at the combine. Young can certainly throw it up to Johnston and trust he’ll win on 50/50 balls, but the long wideout is also adept at making plays in space. — Olson

11. raining threes

Drafting great players is the way to go and Witherspoon is going to become a great players.

BTW, give me Hyatt and either Tippman or Wypler in rd 2-3.

#151 raining threes, Feb 17, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    rfrocket likes this.
  12. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Yes I'm definitely bpa in most instances.
    Also agree about Hyatt because there's not that many wr's in the draft that can take the top off a defense.
    If Hyatt goes early maybe N. Dell (UH).

And I think you meant 3-2 (wish we also had 2-3)
    I agree.
    Although it would be kinda funny with a 6'6" center and a 5'11" qb I like Tippman and Wypler for a zone blocking scheme.

I want at least 1 center and 2 guards this off-season!
    In case K. Green doesn't pan out.

13. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Meant to add I also like Cody Mauch, Jarrett Patterson and (Jason's brother) Andrew Voorhees for the zone- blocking scheme.

14. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

Ahem....it's "little person"

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bryce/Addison
    (Has Tyree Wilson going ahead of Will Anderson)

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It's said that historically Ohio State QB's under perform in the NFL. The theory I believe is that they play behind the best offensive lines, have the best wide receivers and their top rated defenses give them more opportunities to have the ball. When they come into the NFL the talent levels even out so they don't end up looking like the cream of the crop.

You can look down the history and make up your own mind, but it's just Justin Fields and Dwayne Haskins in the 21st century.

#156 Dubious, Feb 21, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I also think it's a little bit of what I call "The Marcus Mariota effect".

Mariota legitimately didn't throw many contested balls at Oregon at all. His stats were out of this world. It had to do with scheme and playing in a slightly lesser conference that didn't take defense seriously.

These guys are Ohio State are kind of in the same boat. Don't face much pressure. Some of the best WR corps in college. They typically only read half the field. They throw to mostly open WRs.

It gets harder in the NFL. Windows get tighter. You have to thread the needle more. You have to read the full field, while dropping back, which these guys also don't typically do. There's more pressure. More disguised defenses. Talent events out, as you said.

This is some of the reason why some think that Levis is better suited for the NFL than Stroud (or, to some, even Young). Not saying I necessarily agree with that, even though I kind of do in this case, but I think these are valid points when you oppose them to just looking at stats and film.

Shark44 and raining threes like this.
  18. raining threes

J.T. Barrett?

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

So, it is OHIO State. He will be a bust in the NFL. People said that about many schools until it doesn't work out like that. He put up the best numbers in that school's history over 2 years. Talent helps. You can say that about recent Alabama QB's. Haskins had work ethic questions which proved correct. Justin Fields was more a runner than a passer. Stroud doesn't have the work ethic issues and he is a pocket passer. Shouldn't he be judge on his performance, not school history? That's like saying Michigan QB's sucked in the NFL....so let's not give Brady a chance. Or Clemson QBs have done nothing in the NFL, so let's not believe Watson's performances against Bama 2 years in a row. Or Texas Tech QB's are system QBs and none of them have panned out, so Mahomes will be a bust. Dumb thinking.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Stroud sucks

Rudyc281 likes this.