1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Silas is pissed off

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Has seemed for a while now that he has lost the locker room. We definitely need to move on, it's just a matter of when Tildo is willing to accept he'll have to pay 2 head coaches at the same time.

My guess is that Tildo will never agree to pay 2 head coaches at the same time, so Silas will remain here for the duration of his contract.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Right?! God-damn!

THANK you.

@Stephen_A

Oh, you've written extensively, all right. To the point of carpal tunnel. Without your posts this thread would deflate and zip around the room like a balloon with the air suddenly let out.

Why am I reminded of all those pundits / talking heads / former players on TNT and ESPN who wanted Yao to fail when he was drafted?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So fire Silas, interim John Lucas and hit go.

DD

Rocketeer and PolarBear like this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And probably the last.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'd be happy with that

DaDakota likes this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Everyone has to go, even Lucas. This disgrace and coddling of unproven teens is brewing for a toxic culture.

Invisible Fan, Y2JT, ArtV and 2 others like this.
  7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

End of an era..

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

better to be pissed off than pissed on....
    well unless yer into that sorta thing...

lol

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Lol complaining about effort . You are the one that's supposed to make the playing time decisions bro.

Play Tari, usman , tate , and Matthew's , Christopher

You have guys that will play hard.

No need to pigeonhole green into playing 35 mpg

Jk . I know it's stone controlling things

This is all a clown show. It's not entertaining anymore tho.

Jabari is a deer in headlights . Jalen dgaf . Sengun tries but is young and doesn't quite have the stamina yet . Gordon is checked out , kmj just wants to make highlight dunks , tate is on a bs restriction . Nix , green , and kpj have all received more opportunity than deserved .

Mismanagement all around

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Green and Sengun are the same age?

And how do you know Mathews and Christopher are going to have defensive intensity from playing more minutes? It's easier to act like you are giving effort when you play short stints.

And KPJ is probably our most competent individual defender.

The defensive issue here isn't really effort. It's playing 10 19-22 year olds at the same time which results in almost everyone on the floor still learning the game and finding out how to play a NBA style team defense. So everyone is going to be in wrong positions with a lack of communication.

Ya that in a sense is more on Stone as he should have realized you shouldn't have this many projects of young guys at the same time.

Honestly this team needs to consolidate young talent do more vets are here. Between, Josh, TyTy, KMJ, Tari Usman, Nix etc, more than half of them gotta go and be replaced by vets.

This may sound extreme but I honestly think all these guys need to be traded for multiple vets.

Green, Sengun, KPJ and Bari should be the young players you concentrate on and have them surrounded by competent vets.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I agree with you, but in life, in general, I believe people are responsible for what they can do differently. Can you play soft if everyone is playing soft? Yes, sure, it happens to many types of people. However, can you play hard even if your coach doesn't ask it? Yes. Do you know that playing hard is the best way to play? Yes, everyone knows it.

You shouldn't need to be motivated to work hard at what you do. Good or bad coach, there are players who play hard anyway. If you're young it can be easy to get discouraged about system and offense and defense, but playing hard is universal. These players are giving less effort on defense than they should give even to the worst coach in the world. No one is telling them not to play hard. No one is stopping them from it.

The organization could change the coach, but the people who give up easily are different than those who don't give up. Tari Eason plays like it's his last game every game, and he could make the same excuses as anyone on the roster.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

as i said before...

its far easier to walk into a situation as a hard ass - and then mellow as things fall into place...

than it is to walk in as a 'nice guy' and then try to get tough down the road...

thats why i say Silas has been in over his head from the start...

put this man outta his misery already...

he's not wired to be a head coach... prob a good asst who can work 1 on 1 with players...

but just look at how our rebuild has become 'the redemption of kpj'....

he's not a head coach... and to watch him continue to spin out isnt helping him or the team.

Somebody needs to step up and be a man in this organization...

smdh...

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Silas has 0 charisma, but he is not wrong this time. Here is the full interview. Whether it's his f*ck up or somebody else's, there is not one single word wrong in what he said.

Silas is accountable for the season, but on this particular night, the players are 100% responsible. The players are waiting for a coaching savior thinking the new genius coach will motivate their TEAMMATES. None of them understand it's THEM.

Sorry but no matter how much you or I dislike Silas, on this night everything he's saying is true. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. This is the nut, no pun intended.

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Who said I was a fan? You obviously haven’t been reading my comments through the years. What I am is fair and logical and try to remove emotion from the equation. None of us have the full story. Neither you or me. I derive information from news reports, read between the lines using logic, use my own experiences and make an assessment.

#134 Stephen_A, Feb 7, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Players not guarding back doors or wing threes or committing turnovers in critical moments isn’t his fault. We love to put so much pressure on the coach much like how we do with Presidents but would not like to be treated like that if we were in that position. Very easy to point fingers. Some of you are parents here on this site. When your children mess up is it fair to blame everything on you? There still is a large share of responsibility the individual needs to bear and this is about accountability.

16. stab

stab Member

On the bright side, remember this is the last year where it actually pays off for us to suck.

Verbal Christ and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. Rokman

Rokman Member

Y'all still watching? . . . . .

This is so transparently scripted and poorly executed he can't even read his lines with passion.

May be the lowest point in Rockets history.

18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, they're no longer playing hard for the man. That was really the saving grace before, without that there's not much to like right now. It's spiraling out of control and he knows it. That's got to be gut wrenching for him.

Mathloom and snowconeman22 like this.
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

There is no guarantee , but they deserve minutes based on playing hard when they are on the floor . If they can't handle the load , sub in someone else .

Point is green and kpj can't handle the load. Mental / physical whatever you wanna call it . How many minutes can they be "locked in" for?

I believe this is what we both would like to be developing.

Now , you wanna push beyond in the name of development then I get that. But the ratio is off imo . Some guys are getting way more than they can handle and some aren't getting enough of an opportunity

And it's not acting like you are giving effort ..it's giving effort .

- kpj is good , but I think its tate

- I do agree there's a heavy mental aspect to it. That's why even though Gordon is checked out he's still making us better . It's why we pop a hit more with tate on the floor too .

I don't think negative attention on green and kpj is unwarranted. Hopefully it's a good thing. They are kids , but even kids can take pride in their work. I hope all this talk about needing to play the right way " coming from other vets" is making an impact .

If we aren't gonna win anyways I'd like to see more even minutes distribution. And for God's sake trade Gordon.

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Even though he used “We” in the majority of his interviews. You are taking one quote you read and judging his character from this one quote rather than the body of statements from him given in interviews. The team lacks focus and effort especially in important situations and he is right to be frustrated as most humans would.