1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Agreed. Just like it's good business for the colts to make US think that they might move up to #1 even if they don't want to, in order to make us burn valuable draft capital to go from 2 to 1! (to make sure we get Young)

And Ballard started doing that like the day after the regular season ended!

2. Qan

Qan Member

I don't see why the Texans would even care or have any effect on them if the Colts move up to #1. Colts can move up, burn their draft picks, and it'll make no difference to the Texans. Theres plenty of options for the Texans at #2. But the Bears will have a higher chance of missing on the player they want, if it is really Carter or Anderson, at #4.

cbass likes this.
  3. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Where it makes a difference, a BIG difference is if the Texans braintrust view Bryce Young as a CLEAR #1 qb in this draft and a potential top-7 player at his position.
    It's not just losing out on him but losing him to a division rival where you'll have to face him at least twice a year for the next 10-15 years!

Now if they don't view BY as that level of player they won't care as much and might even not mind it at all.
    But if we can set out the notion that we will take Jalen Carter (or Will Anderson) at #2 then the Bears run the risk of losing out on both of the two top ranked defensive players if they trade down to #4.

If nothing else by putting this idea out it will make the Bears ask for an EXTREMELY high pick package to move back to Indy's spot at #4!

It's just smart business sense in any scenario and you can see that because when DeMeco's been interviewed he's been purposely ambiguous on selecting a qb at #2.

Information is Power!
    And unfortunately, in the draft season so is DISinformation!
    Just depends on who runs the best "game"!

cbass, Landry's Tooth and Sooty like this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The Colts want Levis (my opinion). They may move up one spot to 3, but going to #1 will cost alot.

5. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I kinda hope you're right.
    But it's another example imho of how Ballard can be ambiguous about who they REALLY want in the hopes that we will panic and give up assets to move up to #1.

What hurts us helps them and vice versa!

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Really glad they are looking for DCs

8. Landry's Tooth

I think that is what I had said but you may have said it better.

rfrocket likes this.
  9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Yeah I’m not a Stroud guy at all, but compared to some of the takes here I might as well be David Mulagheta. It’s getting ridiculous. Before I know it someone is going to be telling me Bo Nix is a better prospect bc of size and combine stats.

houstonstime and red5rocket like this.
  10. Landry's Tooth

One thing I would like is getting a quality running back at 12 or early 2nd.

Pearce is great but his style lends itself to getting dinged up.

Look how much easier Titans QBs have with Henry there... if we have a dominant run game it will open up the passing game.

I could see Pearce as a closer in the 4th where you may flip lead backs at half time for workload.

12 is high, but they could move back if it's the right player but too early...

If they consistently get 4+ yards a carry they won't have as many 3 and outs...

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If they draft a RB #12, the next thing the Texans ought to do is fire every single member of their front office. If they wait until the 2nd round, I'd be OK if they, like, waited a day before firing every single member of their front office.

houstonstime and mikol13 like this.
  12. HstnSprtsFan101

I think the only time a team should consider taking a RB that high is if they feel they’re one piece away. Their shelf life is short as everyone knows. Realistically we’re 2-3 years away at absolute best from competing for something meaningful. I do think we’ll add a RB to the room but hopefully not before the 3rd. Plenty of other more piercing (no pun intended) needs to shore up imo.

13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

We just drafted a really good back in the fourth last year. You don’t think we can find another as productive in the mid rounds? KC found a RB in the 7th round. I agree we can use a second or even third back but that’s not a need right now. We need starters in other positions that are way more important than a backup RB.

HstnSprtsFan101 likes this.
  14. Landry's Tooth

Like I said, probably too high. I wouldn't do higher than second round unless I was getting Derrick Henry level back...

Trading back from 12 to 20s for more picks and still get the guy would be better.

Just want more weapons and we are a hammy away from nothing on offense.

15. Landry's Tooth

I'm suggesting co-starter, not a backup.

Read what I wrote. I want the best of Pearce which means keeping him fresh.

If you are telling me Derrick Henry is sitting in the 3rd round I'm all for it.

I'm skeptical, but it's possible. Just anothe starting caliber back isn't what I'm talking about.

Elite running attack that a young QB can rely on to get in favorable down and distance...

Also know about short life span of 6 to 8 years for backs. Having two means not overpaying one as a free agent like Cowboys did with Elliott despite having Pollard...

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Wanted him but oh well

justtxyank likes this.
  17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Hate when people “read what I wrote” others then change their wording so I’ll let you have it

18. Landry's Tooth

What part of this says draft a backup running back?

"I could see Pearce as a closer in the 4th where you may flip lead backs at half time for workload."

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Put some respect on spelling Pierce name

No but seriously…whatever back comes in will be a backup to Pierce. We aren’t starting two RBs.

20. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I agree with Landry's Tooth about the need for drafting at least 1 rb in this draft.
    DeMeco has stated that he wants to be physical on both offense and defense and you need at least 2 quality backs to pound the ball, plus in case of injuries.
    Also one of the best friends of a rookie quarterback is a strong running game!

But I also agree with the others about not spending a high pick on one either!
    No need imo as there will be quality rb's there late day 2 or even day 3.

Matter of fact unless Bijan Robinson drops to the 2nd rd. (in that case run to the podium) I wait until at least our second pick in the 3rd round to get one.
    Backs I like which there should be at least 1-2 still there in the 3rd.:
    Zach Charbonnet
    Sean Tucker
    Kenny McIntosh
    Roschon Johnson

But there is 1 rb I REALLY want to add to our roster!
    I was hoping to get him in the 5th or 6th but he really blew up at Senior Bowl practices.

That's Tyjae Spears of Tulane.
    Great 3rd down back that catches great, runs with speed, elusiveness AND power and has even run the wildcat in college!
    I really don't even consider him a "3rd down" back as I think he's good enough to be a full time rb1.
    And easily able to share rb1 duties duty with DP!

I'd spend a 4th on him and if he grows on me any more I may even move him up to my 3rd round group.
    But he's my rb "binkie"!

red5rocket likes this.