1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone's strategy - Green & Sengun vs Mobley +

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Feb 3, 2023.

1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the flashes from Green have been really encouraging. When Jalen Green is at his best he looks like an MVP candidate I don't think I've seen that from any of those other lotto picks. His consistency is obviously the big issue here, the lows are very low, as we've all seen. But the highs are higher than any of the others.

30 point games from 2021 NBA draft class-
    Jalen Green: 14
    Everyone else combined: 11

40 point games from 2021 NBA draft class-
    Jalen Green: 3
    Everyone else combined: 0

BaselineFade, Zacatecas, xaos and 2 others like this.
  2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I'm convinced that half of it is player only fans just trying to run narratives to promote their guys (which is complete asshat behaviour at it's finest.) Bring in a real PG and let him play like a traditional shooting guard and the consistency will come. He's got the highest ceiling on the team by far, and it's not remotely close.

DaDakota likes this.
  3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

wowzer that puts things into perspective especially doing this without a real pg making his life easier.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

PPG alone doesnt mean you are good scorer, this isn't the 1980's, especially at the efficiency Green's shooting at.

Mobley is a limited self creator, but a great at picking up easy points when he can within the rhythm of the offense.

Green while a more talented self creator, struggles with find good shots for himself which is why his efficiency suffers.

rockets1995 likes this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Mobley is a limited self creator, but a great at picking up easy points when he can within the rhythm of the offense. But he won't b as good without a competent pg which we dont have.

Green efficiency suffers b/c he lacks a competent pg.
    Hence y u need to pair green with a competent pg not a sg learning how to play pg.

If they both have competent pgs u take green > mobley. Defense is great and all but when it comes down to it offense wins game and Green offensive potential is the greatest compared to his peers in his class.

topfive likes this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m not a Green super fan, but ignoring his potential as a 20 year old with superior athleticism and splashes of incredible offense, is just plain silly. Not to mention, how terrible of a coach he has and a team of high schoolers like himself. You’re as impatient as a high schooler. Oh wait, maybe that’s it, you’re just a jack off high schooler that’s jealous that the kid was drafted no. 2, while you have a curfew.

topfive and ElPigto like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone is ignoring that he could be good if he learned how to play basketball one day, what I see are simply people pointing out that he's not a good basketball player right now and suggesting that a bit of accountability would be best for everyone including Green.

The fact that you are seemingly throwing a temper tantrum about that is not a great look kiddo.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

that's part of the equation for sure, and obviously better coaching. But Green has to take some accountability for the stuff he does on the court that has nothing to do with coaching or pg.

Making open jump shots is one of them, shot selection is another, which he has seems to be regressing from last year. I am just overall disappointed at how many bad/difficult shots he continues to take despite it not working most of the time. He also seems to be really down on himself when his shooting is off stop putting in effort.

The more I watch great players in this league, the more i realize how important basketball IQ is. Great players don't have to be fastest or the most athletic, they just know what's a good shot is, and passing out of low percentage situations. That's what worries me the most about Green.

9. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Mobley has been thriving playing with Jarrett freaking Allen who can't pass, dribble, or shoot anywhere near Sengun. If he can make it work there, he can make it work here. There's no reason to believe they were mutually exclusive.

rockets1995 likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, if only someone different was generating open and wide open shots for Jalen, then he'd finally start hitting them.

Clearly that's the problem.

Also, if he had someone different generating open and wide open shots for Green, he'd finally start playing even a little bit of defense.

Literally everything is KPJ's fault, you are a very smart person.

11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I dunno about MVP candidate. Look at what the MVP candidates do now. Jokic, Embiid, Giannis, Luka. They completely fill up the box score. It's not a knock on Green specifically as much as on the SG position as a whole. What's the value of a position that's just for scoring when every other position scores now too? All the best guards play as lead ball handlers and rack up the assists to go along with the points. I think it's gonna be a very very long time before a traditional SG is MVP again.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm more upset about Orlando stealing Banchero right out from under us at the last minute.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Tatum is probably the closest we have. He's more of a scoring wing though, but close enough

14. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

He's huge though and plays amazing defense. And he also fills the stat sheet.

31.1 pts 8.7 rebs 4.4 assists 1.1 steals

That's definitely filling the box score. Wings are just bigger by definition and have more defensive and rebounding upside. "Pure scorers" are a relic from a bygone era where you devoted rotation slots to big dudes who couldn't shoot, pass, or dribble and only existed to hit people.

15. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Hindsight, I wouldve drafted MJ over Hakeem, but you won't hear me complain about our pick. Both teams can win, even if one player ends up being better. Especially when they play completely different positions.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

At this moment, I am good with it.

The future could change my mind though.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

This. Things look so bad because the roster doesn’t fit and many of our players have fake IDs.

We are going to consolidate our potentially 9 draft picks from 2021-2023 drafts…

We are going to sign FAs that are relevant to roster construction…

Time will tell…

jim1961 likes this.
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Results and process are not the same. I made that clear in my post. I also. It’s credit where credit is due.

but nonetheless the process has been extremely extremely bad.

that we may walk away from it all with one legit player is a miracle all things considered… and even then they don’t want to lean into him

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

we are going to be just fine. At some point, we will have enough talent to build with, that we can chase established stars to come and play with our team. I think we are one draft away from being at that point. I'm not expecting us to pick a huge free agent recruit. Not only get free agents, but also build assets that other teams might want to trade for in the future. A team could want to rebuild and be ready to trade a star player, for young players who are 3-4 years developed already.

Plowman likes this.
  20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

And yet, whilst struggling and playing inconsistently, he's still averaging WAY more than Mobley with ease. He's also got way more 30pt games too, with ease. The narrative you're trying to spin is straight up r****ded. Green's scoring better than his entire draft class combined, so no, Mobley aint **** when it comes to scoring compared to Green, deal with it.

topfive likes this.