1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Potential trade for John Collins?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 27, 2023.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

How many of their own drafts do the Rockets control between 2024, 2025, and 2026?

Subtweet: @YOLO

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

I’m flattered I’m mentioned

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Great post. This will go over the short sighted

clutchdabear and DatRocketFan like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

It just means we’re doing something right. Embrace it

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I'm glad samfisher ain't our gm. Panicking and trading aways a first round pick just to marginally get better is stupid as fk.

Point of a tank is u keep drafting and hoarding up picks to get a star.

This trade doesn't address our biggest weakness which is pg.

This trade doesn't address our vet needs, man is 25 while tate is 27. We need an actual vet not another youngster.

This trade delays the rebuilding process. Pick for a role player, he aint a star.

Short sightness bad trade simply bc samfisher can't stomach the losses. I'm not even sure he watches the games.

Mathloom likes this.
  6. SamFisher

7. conquistador#11

Makes sense. It had Oladipo contract extension vibes all over again. Let the Hawks be the desperate ones. But just like another poster said, I do like that we're getting mentioned in the trade rumors even if I don't like this one.

Edit: No Sengun tonight, fine make this damn trade so we have something to talk about.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Are you ever in your lifetime going to get two first round picks for him? And you're going to give one up?

So you're going to lock up 3-4 years of cap in case you can flip a first rounder into two first rounders when this summer a team will just give you a first rounder to absorb a short contract?

SO DUMB. STOP IT.

9. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

The kids need mentors. They don't need the best FA available. They need the best fit who can mentor the kids and can help develop them into NBA players. Will Harden do that? Will FVV? Plus if you can offer a max contract what FA out there is worth it and will take on a mentorship role versus going somewhere else that can offer the same contract? Most likely to get someone worth a max contract there will have to be a trade involved. Unless we get Wemby or Scoot players aren't going to be baging down the door to play here. Yeah if you have Wemby/Scoot, Jalen, Jabari, Alpi, that could be a really fun team for a mentoring vet, but are they going to sign here knowing it will take 2-3 years to challenge for a championship? Who knows.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

dude is a loser begging for attention like a stray dog

YOLO likes this.
  11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Who are these vet mentors, though?

Who is going to come into a mess like this and immediately command respect?

I’m not being facetious. Seriously asking.

12. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

That's my point. I don't know.

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's not a 25 year old John collins that's for sure.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You want some vet mentors, go sign some vet min guys at the end of thier careers who don't need or want minutes.

That ain't John Collins.

Mathloom, saleem and YOLO like this.
  15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If no picks are required this becomes more interesting - but you would have to believe his 3 point stroke could come back. I'm just not sure he's a very valuable player if he can't spread the floor.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'd rather pay KJ Martin $15m per year and waive Gordon than to package those two for him. Please forget about Collins, this is such a dumb idea by the Rockets. Not even Gordon + Nix for Collins is a good deal because we are giving up cap space this summer that we can use to absorb a contract for a draft pick far more easily than risking getting a pick for Collins.

The Hawks need a PF who doesn't need the ball much, can hit the 3 and plays good defense. They are dumping John Collins while they need those things. Why on earth would anyone pick him up unless we were compensated for it? Ridiculous.

Also if you're going to stupidly acquire someone, acquire a f*cking PG ffs.

Stone is getting on my nerves now.

clutchdabear and Lovemachine2000 like this.
  18. SamFisher

Literally the only person who thinks Collins is a negative value player that the Hawks can't give away, and who'd rather have an Usman Garuba (DNP), for example is... you.

The person most redundant to Kenyon Martin Jr. isn't John Collins, it's Jaesean Tate and Eric Gordon and Tari Eason and Jabari Smith jr

19. Lovemachine2000

To be fair, Collins is capable of providing all those things and did for some time, but he has regressed over the last 3 seasons, which is a bad sign for a 25-year-old.

BigMaloe and Mathloom like this.
  20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I dont mind the idea of Collins but Id rather spend $30 million on VanVleet than $23 million on Collins. I know they are different positions.

xaos likes this.