1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Sajan likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Electrocution danger?

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

speaks a lot about the quality of the car...hmm.

so who is supposed to buy these things post warranty? landfill? I guess no one cares as long as TSLA goes moon.

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

It's not just Tesla EVs. At this moment I just don't see how it makes good sense to buy a high mileage EV unless you don't plan to keep the car that long. Tesla doesn't even offer extended warranties for their vehicles. At least the most expensive components are warranted for 8 years 120k for most models. (drive unit, battery)

Sajan likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

Big Lithium does not care.

Sajan likes this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Wait what? Autopilot is standard/free on every Tesla and blows any of these out of the water. Super and Blue cruise are geofenced and only work on certain routes on certain highways. Autopilot works on any clearly marked lane. Full Self Driving works on city streets and takes turns/stops at lights etc but costs a ton, but this is something Super Cruise and Blue cruise aren’t even close to.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Tesla has the holds value better than any other EV because of the quality of their battery management system and brand.

9. KingCheetah

Nothing on a Tesla is free (FYI).

ElPigto likes this.
  10. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Can Tesla AP or EAP operate without hands on steering wheel for an extended amount of time?

I understand that Blue Cruise and Super Cruise is limited in that it only works on approved highways, but IMO highway driving is where driver assistance makes the biggest impact. I am not ready to hand over controls to a self-driving system on non-access-controlled roads yet. There are still too much risk and variability with other drivers and pedestrians.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

You don’t pay extra for it is what I mean - standard.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

It requires you to tug on the steer wheel every couple of minutes just to make sure you are paying attention, has nothing to do with the technology, more of a safety feature.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Blue Cruise and Super Cruise are over hyped LKAS. At high speeds, the driver should be ready to take over at any moment. Safety features trump convenience.
    Regardless of bias, all manufactures are going in a positive direction. If a particular system fails, its the lack of redundancies that concerns me

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

Hope you were paying attention. Biden administration caved, Model Y now qualifies for $80k IRA cap. Price hike incoming.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Path 1. it is.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...kes-more-evs-eligible-tax-credits-2023-02-03/

“Musk raised the issue with White House officials during a meeting last week, a person briefed on the matter said.”

Mystery solved.

17. jchu14

Huge win for model Y, ID4, Mach E, and the upcoming Blazer and Equinox EV.

Though sad for those who wanted a sedan like the Model S and Ioniq 6 (don't qualify yet due to assembly location, but could be in a couple of years when Georgia plant spins up).

Sajan likes this.
  18. Sajan

Sajan Member

On a related note...

19. jchu14

Eh. I am not too worried about Ford's demise. They still had an EBIT of $10B for 2022. They lost a ton of money on Rivian and Argo investments in 2022, but the car business is still making money.

Pickup trucks is still printing money for Ford. Supply chain issue should lessen in 2023 so Maverick and Bronco will give them big boosts too.

GM and Tesla still don't have a Lightning competitor. I am in the 'I'll believe it when I see it' mode regarding GM EVs. The Bolt is great for what it is, but they've definitely been just talking the talk with Silverado EV and Blazer EV. I am ready for them to actually build some.

Sajan likes this.
  20. Sajan

Sajan Member

F-150 doesn't have anything on this sheet metal.