1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Duh... and the Bears will get a mountain of compensation for the #1 pick. Either the Colts or Raiders or Panthers or Titans.

I wouldn't be shocked if they get 3 #1's, including a fairly high pick this season........

red5rocket likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

We will have to see how they do next year.

I remember prior classes that were expected to be amazing... the Goff and Darnold classes, and the 2018 draft as well.

Caleb Williams obviously has been very successful, but also has been surrounded by very talented players.... KJ Jefferson? You never know when an unknown will emerge too.

The Texans will need a QB in the next few seasons, but it they can get incredible value trading down, and shore up multiple positions, like the lines and receiver - then they should do that.

Rileydog and Verbal Christ like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Williams and Maye are considered elite prospects. McCarthy, Ewers, Dart and possibly KJ and Penix are considered first rounders.

Verbal Christ, Nook and Sooty like this.
  4. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

That's crazy. Players usually don't get injured until they join the Texans.

5. houston19519

houston19519 Member

I think the complete opposite.. I think they stay at one. I like the qbs coming out, but I don’t see one that stands out enough to trade all the way up to 1 for.

Nook likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, but IMO only Caleb Williams is an elite prospect. Maye had a good redshirt freshman season for sure, but I personally need to see more. I know he comes from a father that was a high level college QB. I am not writing him off, but I have seen similar prospects fail or be mediocre.

Penix has been playing forever, I take his numbers with a grain of salt.

Ewers had an okay first year at UT, lets see now he does going forward.

I think that there are a number of possible prospects that could be worthy of a top 10 pick, but at this point I only think one is guaranteed to go in that range.

Having said that, doesn't mean you have to take a QB #1-2 in the draft to be good, at this point there are a lot of very good NFL QB's taken a little later.... Justin Hebert went 6-7th if I remember correctly.....Josh Allen about the same spot..... Hurts, Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, etc.

It seems to me that in a lot of cases, you are better off building a strong core and then adding the QB. I highly doubt that Allen or Hurts or Brady or even Wilson would have been special without a strong coaching and supporting cast.

So I would be fine getting 3 #1s for the #2 pick and adding at key spots and gambling on the 2023 class that one or more of those interesting QB's steps up.

7. Nook

Nook Member

We will see, but there are some teams that are QB starved, and I think a couple of them are going to fall in love with a QB and trade up.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Honestly I will be surprised if a trade actually happens. There is talk literally every single year but believe it has only been traded 4 times in draft history.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If you've got your QB, why wouldn't you be interested in a generational talent to anchor you defense for a decade? Especially if you play in an open air, bad weather stadium where stopping the run in December wins you games. If I'm Chicago I run to the podium with Carter on my card.
    (and DeMeco needs to let it leek that that's who he wants)

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The question for Chicago is can they live without Will Anderson or Jalen Carter? Dropping down to 4-7 may mean they miss out on those guys.

No Worries likes this.
  11. gucci888

It's all a gamble. Two of the top four teams need a QB so it's possible they could trade all the way down to #4 and still get their guy.

1. Bryce Anderson - Colts
    2. CJ Stroud - Texans
    3. Will Anderson - Cardinals
    4. Jalen Carter - Bears

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

This is exactly how I think it will go. Though, I am starting to lean towards defense. #shocker

cmoak1982 and gucci888 like this.
  13. gucci888

Personally I think the Bears will stay put and take Carter and we'll ultimately face a Anderson vs. Young vs. Stroud scenario.

Fulgore likes this.
  14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t see why. Two teams fighting for a QB while the top two players are on defense. Why not drop to 4 and pick up a ton of draft capital? This is why I don’t see us moving up to 1. Colts will have to give up so much more to move up 3 spots while Chicago still gets one of the two best players in the draft.

15. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Not going to pick up a ton of draft capital dropping down to 4. Dropping into the double digits I could see several number ones being involved. Moving back three places? Not so much. Maybe a first this year and next...that might be a stretch. More likely s first and second this year and second next year.

Now if they start talking about moving all the way down to #9 with Carolina, then they could expect a lot of draft capital in return, but also be missing out on the top players which is why they would be getting so much additional draft capital of course. To offset that.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

18. gucci888

Oh I'm sure the Bears would do it if given the opportunity, however I don't see the Colts (and hopefully not the Texans) moving up. Colts could stay at #4 and have their pick of Stroud/Levis. There is also a decent chance they can get Young at #4 if the Texans take Stroud.

19. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Will be an older rookie but looks great!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It would have been.