1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If No Trade at Deadline . . .

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, Jan 26, 2023.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I agree. I don't want to trade him.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don’t see how he could be happy. A season or two of losing is one thing. This is his career. To be the last man standing for so much longer after everyone else has moved on would be add to that as well.

I am not saying I feel sorry for him. He is getting compensation galore. I am saying I can understand how he would be extremely frustrated at this point.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO BE TRADED???
    Ego and who else?

Rocket River

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There is actually a reason to not trade Gordon, multiple actually.

1.) Maybe just nobody wants him, even for free.
    2.) Someone does, but will only give you longer money back
    3.) The offseason presents some opportunities to make some drastic moves, specifically if you want to go win now, and add multiple high salary guys to your team. You could free up ~55m in cap and then theoretically use the KPJ and Gordon salaries to trade for another star (George / Siakim).

So lets can the, trade Gordon or Stone is fired nonsense. Let the man build his team the way he wants too, and judge then, not this incremental judgement bullshit.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

There are reasons he should not be traded.

There are NO reasons he should ever play another minute as a Rocket.

If a potential trade involving Gordon brings back salary that interferes with your cap space this offseason - it's a no go unless you are getting a lottery pick in return and that's not happening.

In that case, you are better off buying him out and cutting him. A late first round pick isn't worth sacrificing $20m in cap space this offseason.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

On the contrary, every game EG teaches the team class Disgruntledness 101.

7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I wonder if the wizards would’ve done the Rui deal with us for Gordon?

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Bucks offered 4 2nds. While that is only slightly better than 4 bags of Doritos, it was something.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I would be okay with him playing if he were acting as a mentor (in a good way) and actively helping the young folks (the whole rest of the team).
    But if he is going to sulk or only give 50%, than I agree with you.

10. ch44

ch44 Member

Not news, but EG is obviously being shopped heavily and I think he'll get traded, but it's important to keep that flexibility for this offseason too.

Worst case is we don't trade EG and cut him before his contract gets guaranteed next year. We can have almost $60M in cap room by standing pat. If we can trade him for an expiring contract and picks, IMO it's a no brainer.

This offseason is going to be HUGE for us. Obviously we have the draft, but we're going to be very active in free agency as well. They are going to spend all of their cap space and target big names. I don't necessarily love the FA class, but I think they want a top PG. The rumor about Harden coming back has real legs to it. Kyrie is a target, as polarizing as that might be. D’Angelo Russell will be another name you hear. Fred VanVleet if he doesn't sign an extension.

If we can turn that cap space into a legit starting PG and SF, while letting Green, Smith, and Sengun grow - we've got a bright future.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m surprised he hasn’t yet taught them how to scream and make faces on all their drives

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

You don’t trade Gordon for trash + salaries to match. I don’t think there’s any reason for a trade at this point. The season is a lost cost and you let Gordon walk this off season if the alternative is taking bench players and dead weight salaries.

"Hail Hydra" likes this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea and what contracts are coming back?

14. xaos

xaos Member

Thanks for the info!

15. VoR

VoR Member

You can be good at evaluating talent and be a bad GM at the same time.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You get him off the roster no matter what he is blocking development.

Losing Eric Gordon is addition by subtraction at this point.

He is a net negative on this team.

DD

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Put me in the desperate to move him camp. I expect something for EG, but I don’t expect much. I believe the handling of the EG situation and loss of value proposition is a very obvious and objective criticism of Stone.

I’d also like to see a consolidation trade.

#57 Aruba77, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Seeing as Lonzo Ball might be a perfect fit for our team. Would y'all trade Gordon for him Straight up with the injury concern? Wondering if the bulls want to dump his contract.

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yes. Absolutely.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would say I am a bit worried about "spending all the cap space" in a potential weak FA crop. DLO? Hell no. If the rumor of Harden coming back has REAL LEGS as you say, then he is the best FA on the market to spend that money on when you look at the other names.