1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks. I think I'm officially out on a Model Y now. I didn't *need* it but was interested because I thought I would get a decent deal. But there are too many unknowns. Auto loan rate, trade-in value, and EV credit. All those things are up in the air until the vehicle actually gets here which according to the Tesla guy who was helping me would be about 8 weeks. By then, the loan rates could (and almost certainly will) be higher and the EV credit could (and almost certainly will) be significantly less.

Maybe if the IRS keeps it at $7.5k for a few more months I'll come back around, but as of now it's not right for us. Throwing down $30k in cash when the Mrs will be unemployed for about 18 months (starting in Jan '24) also makes me a little uneasy. So I think it just won't work out for us at this time.

Sajan likes this.
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Tesla is churning up the Model Ys at a very fast rate ever since TexanGiga has a gone online.

It’s the date that’s on your purchase agreement that matters but that could very well be before March based on production rate. There could also be cancellations. Also don’t forget to look at live inventory. They pop up there ready for delivery from time to time.

You might consider putting $250 down and see if you get your car before then, and if so great. If not, then you are still in line and see where things stand after March with rebates. You can cancel after that and you only lose $250.

Or you could also wait and see how things pan out. Tesla is going to lower and adjust prices as needed to use up the profit margin advantage they have to eat up the competition and they want to sell every car they make.

I have a feeling that Tesla will even drop price to break even if they have to do it to keep things moving, keep putting pressure on the competition, and keep posting those delivery numbers. They just don’t need to do that right now when the competition has their EVs priced so high. Tesla will react as needed.

Model Y long range at 53k before tax rebates and state incentives is the BEST value buy in car market right now, especially with cash. Here in Massachusetts you can have it for $42k after all the incentives. It is not a luxurious SUV but the amount of features, performance (you can even boost the performance further via software update straight through Tesla at a later date for $2k if you want), battery range, and access to supercharging network, safety, and storage space you are getting at $42k makes it a hot hot buy based on other offerings (ICE or EV). Excellent value proposition when other automakers are still price gouging.

PS. The default car configuration has the best chance to be delivered the soonest.

#1622 Zboy, Jan 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    CXbby likes this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

In a soft macro environment the profit leader can cut the most price, others cannot since they are already barely profitable or losing money. This means Tesla will gain even more market share.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks for all the information. It was helpful. Honestly I woke up this morning thinking I would order one either today or tomorrow, but I was only barely leaning that way. The potential EV credit loss tipped the scales the other way.

Oh well. Hopefully there will be another great opportunity in a couple years when we're in a better position to pull the trigger - and I'll also be keeping an eye on that ridiculous but also sexy electric VW bus.

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

I agree. I was channeling my inner CXbby.

Two outcomes: everyone who is shopping for a car will consider a Tesla
    Or this slows BEV adoption because people stay loyal to their ICE overlords.

Time will tell.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

They don’t need everyone to consider a tesla. currently tesla is less than 2% of the market, they just need another 2% of people to consider teslas to double sales. Also tbf this will hit Tesla margins, but in the long run market share gain is more important since the customer retention % in the car market is so high, people spending 10s of thousands on a product tend to get attached to the brand. That’s why carmakers make up so much of the advertising market.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

My wife has her eyes on that VW Buzz.

The problem with it is that it’s very overpriced for the limited range it offers.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Delete dup

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Delete. Dup.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

11. rimrocker

They can also abhor a brand. (No D&D)

[​IMG]

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanoh...n=socialflowForbesMainTwitter&sh=647b7f072b78

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

This is called the “current thing” phenomenon. Virtue signalers have the attention span of…whatever is current, this is why dieselgate did not spell the end on VW, no one ended up canceling Uber for Lyft, and Twitter is thriving again while Mastadon who?

When it comes to purchasing decisions worth 10s of thousands, no rational purchaser will care about the CEO’s politics in the long run.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

But they are an emotional purchase item and rationality goes out the window.

Plus...what's the rush to buy EVs? You certainly don't need an EV to travel around, if anything it's still a hassle... There are plenty of ICE cars that are very nice and more fun to drive.
    From the way EVs are being covered it's like ICE cars stopped working or something...

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

There’s no rush, that’s why Tesla is the only EV that has become a phenomenon, because they make great cars (ev or otherwise), with better performance and tech, and now cost is coming down as well. A half ass made EV is not inherently better than ICE, that’s why most need to be incentivized by the government to sell while Teslas have not qualified for subsidies since 2018 when Model 3s first went on sale.

Yes emotion and preference plays a part in it. My point was the CEO’s politics(which is what’s driving current favorability ratings) will not have a long term impact, it doesn’t for any other product. At the end of the day it will come down to the merits of the product.

15. rimrocker

I don't know about that. We've become so hyper-politicized that once an impression sets in and it has a political aspect, it's hard to get back to where you were. Chick-fil-a sandwiches are really good and I know people who will absolutely not spend money there. Same with Hobby Lobby and a host of other businesses. There are many examples on the other side as well.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

18. AWIN

AWIN Member

Model Y price just increased by $500, red paint and optional wheels package also went from $1K to $2K. Elon prob bored and made the changes taking a dump while tweeting.

19. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I really hope this doesn't set a precedence where a car manufacturer can just change MSRP of cars at the drop of a hat. I know it's been done before but not by the margins Tesla did it, and still you have to deal with dealerships, but at least with an MSRP that doesn't change for at least a year, you have a baseline to deal with. It will make car research more tedious than it already is.

Sajan likes this.
  20. Sajan

Sajan Member

Tesla paying mind games with people by moving it up $500...