1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. showa13

showa13 Member

Seems like it has leaked that Trey Lance is a trade candidate for this off season. If we hire DeMeco(appears to be trending that way), his approach to Lance will be telling. If he wants us to go for Lance then maybe there was just a disconnect between Lance and the niners. If not, Lance may just be a massive bust(I’d take the latter).

raining threes and Cstyle42 like this.
  2. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Exactly. Regardless of how we feel about it, it was clear that Cal was noticing that the fans weren't as engaged in the product. And bringing in Demeco and a franchise QB (Young or Stroud), would immediately bring some credibility to the franchise as well as improve fan interest.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Theres some solid clips of Gannon coaching, and I am a fan. Attention to detail, presence, etc.

I would still rank him 3rd on my wishlist tied with the Eagles OC.

Ryan's
    Peyton(only because you would more than likely lose a 1rd pick)
    Eagles OC/DC

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

De Meco got some money and NRG doesn't use grass trays anymore. That's a win/win for him. The Mc Nair's should just be mad at the people that told them you could grow grass in the bottom of a canyon. (the same people that didn't know you would cook people in the North endzone with the roof open, Wonder if it was the same architects that put a window on the West side of ATT)

Rudyc281 and Fantasma Negro like this.
  5. Fantasma Negro

Who's to say that hasn't been promised? Coaches aren't on the salary cap, Cal can pay him a signing bonus and win bonuses that make him more that 10 mil and we'd never know about it.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. primtim24

I agree, Gannon could 100% work out, I just wonder how good he really is considering his team had the best record in the league, best defense for a good part of the season, and no one else is even requesting to interview him (I know, I know, we shouldn't follow everyone else), I just kinda wonder why no one else is interested in the coach of a #1 seed.

Ultimately, like other posters have said, I just don't want to feel like the Texans "settled". I want to feel like we got a guy that the fanbase will be hopeful with.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Exactly my point. Make up for what he wanted in the lawsuit if you want him as coach.

8. Fantasma Negro

They need to renovate NRG to have the ability to move the entire turf outside like they got in Arizona. Players hate playing on artificial turf, even the "revolutionary" turf they got on there now

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Fantasma Negro

DeMeco has already galvanized the fanbase! The ****ed up part of it is, we gotta root for the ****ing cowboys tomorrow
    [​IMG]

10. Fantasma Negro

Matt Schaub ran that offense so well he was a two time pro bowler, Lance is more athletic than Schaub, we still need to see if he is smart enough and durable enough but I'd take the gamble

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Fantasma Negro

Lynn is a horrendous play caller

12. Fantasma Negro

Gary is the type of guy that would do it too

Two Sandwiches and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I would take Lance, but not for what they would ask for.
    The most id give is a 2nd rd pick.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The cost of that sort of renovation in a structure that doesn't have it would be close to what it takes to build a new stadium (or would be close to what NRG originally cost). If it was feasible, the NFL would probably try to implement that on all domed stadiums.

Not saying its beyond them to do it... and they definitely have the "space" for it (especially behind NRG), but they'd basically have to dig up the current base/floor to install the track, reconfigure one side of the end zone seats to create a path for the field to go outside, and re-configure the rest of the stands to be retractable and elevated to reach the new playing surface.

15. houston19519

houston19519 Member

More and more folks are saying the possibility of Trey/Demeco combination.. very interesting. How do you guys feel about that as a possible option? People are already calling Lance a bust.. I just don’t believe that’s the case.

16. showa13

showa13 Member

Depends on cost, but if DeMeco wants Lance then I would be for taking a flyer

17. primtim24

The cost would be immense! Not to mention, he couldn't beat out Jimmy G as a rookie, and when he actually was in there...especially against us he looked trash (Pre-season I know...but still)

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

its happening?!

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He looked fine against the Texans last season in a real game.

His health and his ability to come back from this injury are the biggest concerns.

Rudyc281 and houston19519 like this.
  20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Pretty hard to say… in his action as a rookie he looked pretty rough - awareness not great, errant throws, but did make a couple impressive plays. This year he had one start in a monsoon where you couldn’t really make any judgement then he got injured a quarter later. Id think only 49ers staff would have an accurate judgement on him right now.

Rudyc281 and houston19519 like this.