1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I wasn't questioning the content of what he was saying or who he was referring to - hell, I actually agree with all of it. Just questioning whether or not he got that directly from Payton, which is what that tweet implied. Maybe he did, I don't know. Just seems sus that he would spill the beans like that on something that Payton most likely said in confidence.

TL;DR version - Twitter sucks.

houstonstime likes this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Really? because looking at pro-football reference. Kubiak's Texans teams were never higher than 8th in terms of points scored per game in any year that he was around. That's not "very good". When it comes to racking up yards sure, but offense is about scoring points and he routinely settled for FGs despite having Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, and Owen Daniels as possible red zone targets

3. liveguy

liveguy Member

Best defensive player available…..if thats Carter then word up.

If they can get Lance with DeMeco somehow, I say draft ALL DEFENSE!

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Who do you think found Foster & Daniels, as well as Schaub, Hopkins, Duane Brown?... Those teams, between 2009-2012, were routinely top 5 in many important offensive categories. (& being top 10 in scoring in a 32-team league does not = "mediocre," btw.)

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cardinals (Bill/Michael Bidwell), Colts (Robert/Jim Irsay), and Texans (Bob/Cal McNair) are all legacy owners. Denver's owners are Wal-Mart heirs, and I think Tepper is the only one who didn't necessarily inherit a fortune.

houstonstime likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

What time was the DeMeco interview scheduled for? I’ve been expecting to see the “We completed our interview with Demeco Ryans….” tweet.

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Nook, while I agree Sean Payton is competent and would certainly change the clown show that has been the Houston Texans for several years, I'm not certain he's the only answer at HC. He may be the best choice, but I do like some of the younger coaches we've interviewed or will interview.

While Payton has the track record and is the surest coach on the market, I wonder is the Colin Cowherd comments were not meant to dissuade Cal/Cas from pursuing him? Seems strange to do that at all, because the more the merrier when you're trying to bid yourself up, but nevertheless its out there.

Besides liking some of the young guys, hating the comp we'd have to give, and the targeted press messaging--Lol, I'd be all in on SP.

9. itzIce

itzIce Member

THIS. Exactly why I don't think Payton is an option UNLESS Cal (or Hannah) does something unimaginable and makes a decision for himself and says F it and get Payton on the Texans sidelines. Game of the Front Office (GOFO)

I don't think Nicky C and Payton can coexist on the same team.

JayGoogle likes this.
  10. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

via zoom :)

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I assume it's starting late because of west coast?

The other option is that it's going so well that it's dragging on for a while (doubt this because. ... Zoom)

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Dre better be in on this meeting

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  13. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

bro he wont be in any bullding lol, this is a zoom meeting (virtual) lol

El_Conquistador and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. houston19519

houston19519 Member

I’ll just live in my delusion and say this is dragging on because it’s going so well :D

Two Sandwiches and IslandB.O.I. like this.
  15. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Right? Like instead of the “we have completed an interview”… We get the announcement he’s the new HC

houston19519 likes this.
  16. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

maybe the zoom is lagging so they have to restart it many times. :)

17. raining threes

Gruden did win a championship, so I would say he was well worth two 1sts.

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

His team is still in the playoffs so can’t be an official announcement but I know what you mean

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um, the Bucs were a SuperBowl caliber team that won with Tony Dungy's players. Texans are not SuperBowl ready.

tmoney1101 and whag00 like this.
  20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

They were top 5 in important offensive categories except the only one that really matters, points scored.

He had all of those guys, yet couldn't crack top 5 in scoring offense? That is messed up. I said he was mediocre because for his entire Texans career he was mediocre in terms of points scored, that one year when he was 8th was his best year.

The whole time he was here people lamented how we couldn't score TDs

houstonstime likes this.