1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith’s attitude…

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jan 19, 2023.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He doesn't want to play with KPJ. It's obvious and who would blame him. You have a selfish 6th man as your starting pg. Silas needs to go and Stone too if he's responsible for running that bum out there at PG

clutchdabear and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have been noticing this since he was drafted, he got a lot of diva in him.

I have also noticed he does not have a lot of chemistry with everyone else and now he is starting to point fingers?

I just have to say it here he is looking like a huge bust and the most alarming thing is his attitude.
    What does any of that have to do with him blaming Sengun for his ****ups?

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I did not see anybody say he has character issues, can you point them out?

What I see people saying is he has issues attitude issues, and he is blaming others for his mistakes, and you have no idea if he is straight edge or one of the hardest working young players because if he is that hardworking we are ****ed because he has worked hard and still can't create his own shot, can't finish at the rim at a high rate and is a mediocre 3 point shooter and defender.

Oh yeah, he also does not block out consistently.

And yeah this is the same board that had issues with Harden and you were the ringleader, so why should Smith be immune?

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So the fact that he was blaming Sengun for his own ****up is ok because other players are soft?

Does that make him soft as well, blaming other people?

CXbby, YaoMac09 and cml750 like this.
  6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What's wrong with this? There is no "the" problem on a team that wins 20 games, there are tons of problems. More than one thing can be a problem. Is this not the place to point them out and discuss them?

CXbby, RudyTBag and jiggyfly like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, and I do think an off-season of an NBA weight room will do wonders for Jabari. He has a lot of physical development to go through. Sengun too. Hope those guys hit it hard.

Rashmon, Mathloom and gfab-babyboi like this.
  8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I can't solve your inability to read and comprehend but I'll go ahead and copy and paste the relevant statement from the post

They b**** at a team mate - they sit

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you can't actually answer the question, cool, no biggie.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

jiggyfly: you cannot tell me what 2+2 is

studogg: I already told you, it's 4

jiggyfly: so you cannot tell me what 2+2 is

clutchdabear and studogg like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We all know you ain't built for this, you should probably just go back and put me on ignore before you get your feelings hurt.

maj21 likes this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh, by all means "discuss". I enjoy logging on here and reading a majority-population of experts arguing. I enjoy the cycle the board takes, too - which is what I was saying. Each day pick an issue, ride it to death for a few days/weeks, then move onto the next issue - who's the player du jour we can say is the issue, bust, or usurper to the Olajuwon throne?. Especially pick topics you have no behind-the-scenes knowledge of, but come out with absolute solutions with no uncertainty and argue them to death with your opponent from thread to thread filling them with the same garbage from thread to thread. As an added bonus, please use stats you don't know anything about to "prove" your point! I'm sure lots of stuff has changed and many have been educated as a result of the "discussion". Discuss.

As for "there is no 'the' problem", that's part of the reason I stated what I did. Yet, if you fire Silas we'll be great. If you fire Stone, we'll be back on track. If Tilman sells the team, we'll be a champion again! Jalen is a bust... 10 games later... wait, no he isn't.... 10 games later... wait, he is. Same with Jabari, KPJ, Sengun, etc. At any given time, on a young team, anybody and everybody can be "the" problem. It's a young team that sucks at the moment. That's all I'm saying. But, by all means, "discuss".

BaselineFade, Mathloom, YOLO and 2 others like this.
  13. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Exactly. A lot of this isn't about who was "right or wrong" in the given play, more about Jabari being pretentious. You'd think a 6'11'' guy shooting less than 40% from the field, who barely above 50 TS%, would be a bit less abrasive and more unassuming. Evidently not.

AroundTheWorld and CXbby like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Jabari Smith is far from perfect but at least he has pride and practices hard, that is more than can be said about some others on the Rockets.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't find anything here that would land you on the dumb list. carry on

16. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

I love Jabari's "attitude" it's only gonna make him better. It may isolate him from some guys but as long as he improves I don't really gaf. Accepting losing and not letting it affect you is not a characteristic I want in my future stars. I will tell you I prefer a veteran guard with a strong personality to check his lapses like a Chris Paul and I'm sure he'd respect the correction. He respects winning and out of all our problems I don't even count this.

Downtown Sniper and clutchdabear like this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is what I can tell from Jabari outwardly. He may be wrong in what he points out, but he's also 19 - he's going to be wrong a lot. But he does seem to show the guts and ability to point out those flaws and wants to hold people accountable. Is it because he's a jerk or a diva or is it because he's a born-leader trying to achieve greatness? Does he accept criticism as well as he dishes it out? That's the part I don't know enough about because I don't work around or with the dude on a daily basis. I've worked with people who start spewing crap about stuff they know nothing about and you know they're bs'ing you. I've also worked with people who were just born-leaders and take charge of a situation. They both looked like the same type of person outside of the group to other groups that didn't know any better. At the age of 19, I'm willing to wait and see if Jabari is putting us on/bs'ing us.

The only way I'll be pissed at Jabari for spouting off at teammates like that on the court is if he's wrong, refuses to admit he's wrong, and continues to go at it with teammates. That's a diva. But that's also something I have no idea is going on. I feel the same way about Sengun. Let Sengun clap back at Jabari or others. If he's wrong, correct it slowly behind the scenes. If he's right, then Jabari should take note and say "yeah, you were right" in a film session or on the bench. I don't care if they're arguing back and forth on the court - I've seen players on successful teams do this tons. At least these 2 still give a damn. I don't want wall-flowers. This is growth to me - again, provided it isn't based on being a diva which I can neither prove nor disprove. They're showing they still give a damn on the court from play to play.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't look at him as a bust at all.

Yes, RELATIVE to the suck we went through last year AND getting the 3rd pick, i'd rather my 3rd pick kick some ass and Bari is NOT doing that.

But if my options realistically were Bari, Murray, or trade back, I am likely still taking Bari... though I could easily be convinced to trade back depending on whether an offer was to be had. The issue was it was all so "unexpected"... wasnt a lot of time to negotiate and research. Bari at the time made much more sense then Keegan Murray so could you have traded one spot back and gotten what from the Kings? In an upside scenario this years first round pick UNPROTECTED... but we see what that would become at this point, a 20s type pick. Nice but not really worth that trade. If i was guaranteed another lotto pick in this years draft and didn't have to trade back too far, i would have explored that. But AGAIN, you only had 10ish minutes to negotiate AND shooting, spacing and defense were his supposed strengths and what the Rockets needed.

In short, it was a no brainer pick.

Still, relative to how he's actually performing, he's way underachieving yes.

That said, to me, it 95% comes down to his shooting... which is perplexing. I like his drives way better than i thought i would. And his defense while spotty and hit or miss, including things like not actually boxing out, at its best is VERY good. Give him size, focus, accountability, coaching, etc. he should be a defensive beast.

I just have no clue on the shooting.

If at any point he can consistently shoot 37%+, i will be more than happy with the pick as he ages.

And frankly, i am OK with his attitude... IF he's actually backing it up with any semblance of his own game or facts. Facts being you don't say "that's your man!" when clearly he should have been the one bodying up AND when he often fails to body into a man to box out.

As he does neither, his attitude is ridiculous right now.

He should be yelling "****!!! My bad, god damn we all need to box out better!" instead of "what that was your fault, im not getting in trouble for this, you should have been guarding everybody" like a f'ing toddler.

Rashmon and Y2JT like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

What I can tell you is that I have had multiple people around the Rockets and the younger players tell me that Jabari Smith is by far the strongest leader of the group and possible on the team, and he is 19 years old. While the other Rockets would not speak up when Porter and/or Green would screw around, be late for practice or get special treatment, the only player to confront Porter and Green was Jabari Smith. Now, does that mean that Jabari Smith doesn't miss assignments or doesn't screw up? No, he does. He isn't shooting well, he doesn't box out at all and he can over extend defensively and be exposed. I also have no idea if he takes any personal accountability.

What I can tell you is that there is a LONG line of players that are viewed as strong leaders that will not accept others pointing out there flaws.... Chris Paul, James Harden, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Giannis all come to mind. The difference? Most of these players eventually stopped screwing up so often. So lets hope Jabari follows suit.

Regardless, I will take the guy that isn't afraid to stand up and tell people when they screw up over the players that just excuse each others laziness and lack of improvement.

If the Rockets get the #2 pick in the draft and add Scoot Henderson - you are going to see a lot of these types of moments. Henderson is basically Chris Paul when it comes to talking. If someone screws up twice in the same way on the floor, he will walk over to them and confront them in front of everyone. He isn't a normal teenager and has been a professional for years.

Rashmon, Yung-T, Y2JT and 6 others like this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Is it Green? That would be rather disappointing as I've only heard he's a hard worker but hey that can just be pr.

I don't see KPJ as someone who slacks off training wise.