1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

Tả. Awesome movie. 9.5/10

GRENDEL likes this.
  2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I really enjoyed Tar, Blanchette is amazing......

[​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Can somebody tell me what I'm missing with the movie Barbarian?

It's getting rave reviews, but it is a jumbled mess that really makes no sense, it does have some good fake outs but at the end it really makes no sense.

It's neither scary nor a good monster movie, and it starts off with a lot of promise.

Even the title makes no sense.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I watched Till today and it moved me to tears. I give it a 9.5 out of 10. It's hard to watch at times, because it is based on a true story of a 14 year old child lynched and killed in Mississippi before civil rights. The uplifting part was that the mother's seek for justice stirred more people across the country to fight for change.

B-Bob, MadMax and GRENDEL like this.
  5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Heard that DeSantis is moving to ban this movie in Florida.

If it’s as great as you say it is then why would a governor of all people be looking to ban the movie altogether?

Makes no sense.

6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I don't believe he wants to ban that movie any more than I believe he is a governor of all people.

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Makes no sense.[/QUOTE]
    I don't believe he wants to ban that movie.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - first 2 stories 7/10 - rest 1/10
    Basically it starts with a narrator in Tim Blake Nelson - known for his roles in past Coen brothers movies does a great job, reminiscent of 'O Brother where art Thou' with the dialect and it playing out in the Old South. He's a cowboy, there's silly jokes and whatnot. But then after his story is the one with Franco, which is already a drop off in quality, but that's at least solid enough. Then it just gets weird and boring. I tried the Liam Neeson story, but couldn't get into it. Basically should've had Tim Blake Nelson throughout every story and related to all.

Power of the Dog - 4/10 [SPOILERS]
    Got so many nominations and I cannot figure out why, aside from Kirsten Dunst being very good. I sincerely feel having a female director is the reason why and while it speaks on a controversial topic at the time (1920s Montana setting), it's not enough. So the premise is Cumberbatch's character and Dunst' son being homosexual, repressing their feelings and being (un)comfortable with those feelings. So struggle with being different (not typically masculine) in a close-knit community, in a place where it was banned until 1997 so quite close-minded.

However, the way it goes about it revealing the characters to be homosexual, while unconventional, and dealing with their struggle leaves a lot to be desired. I mean even the fact that the two main male characters are brothers is kind left up to the viewer to figure out. Until a moment where they actually just talk about "mom", which to my buddy was still not 100% verification. Could just be a way of speech. Anyway, so this movie is set on a farm where they are literally 'cow' boys, go hunting and there is an issue with stocking up on hides, the Native Americans claim to the land and thus the hides, and just tending to the sheep farm This is all secondary and quite boring.

Nothing much happens, the homosexuality part is basically buried in the background as the issue is mainly with the main male (Cumberbatch) and main female (Kirsten Dunst). Basically Cumberbatch's character hates her and his brother for marrying her. She feels kind of the same way about him, which is revealed at some point, but for the most part of the movie we just have to accept this dynamic. Nothing much happens, just some hunting, seeing Dunst struggle with her health, her son off to college and returning.

Then once the characters' sexuality comes to the forefront, it gets kind of awkward and or uncomfortable for various reasons. And it's really not about their sexual orientation / feelings. It's the fact that Cumberbatch starts to have feelings for Dunst' son or at least repressed his feelings for so long that finding out he is maybe homosexual too gives him an opportunity to be more open and kind of creepy. There's some solid acting on his part, but didn't do enough to save from the boredom and the way it's written and or directed.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Probably will not watch either of these, but a great job describing these movies.

Do more.

Have you seen Barbarian I would like to read your take.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I liked it. It was just goofy. They set up one thing and then just go the 180. The last scene where it jumps off the roof or whatever was gold.

it was a fine watch but you have to just giggle at it.

GRENDEL likes this.
  11. Fantasma Negro

House Party 2023

I was expecting to not like this movie and I almost did, it starts off very cliché. There's some sorta funny comedy, the dude trying way too hard to sound like Chris Tucker almost took me out of it. About three fourths of the way through the movie it gets pretty ****ing crazy, like actually crazy. And I'm not really a big LeBron fan but I gotta admit when he showed up it brought an extra something to the movie. Dude actually has pretty good comedic timing and had what I think was the funniest line of the movie "You're going to be the best player on your prison team", I laughed my ass off at that line. This movie did the job it intended to do, paid homage to the original and provided nostalgia of black movies form the 90's. This thing is going to rerun on BET forever.

5.5/10

M3GAN

Unoriginal, predictable and yet surprisingly very entertaining. Smart and well crafted horror-comedy.

5.6/10

12. Buck Turgidson

I loved both of these.

13. CrazyJoeDavola

I liked Buster Scruggs. It's definitely Cohen brothers quirky. My favorite story was the goldminer one. The last one where all the men on the stagecoach terrorized Tyne Daily was a hoot.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Riotsville, USA is a quality documentary on Hulu.

15. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]
    Menu (2022) - finally saw this. Started off well, by mid point, they unfolded most of the mystery. They go for shock value at parts and some scenes I had a hard time suspending disbelief. Some of the lesser guests had bad acting. But Anna Taylor Joy is in this so the score is higher. Overall, I didn't mind it.

Grade B

[​IMG]
    The Promise (2016) - Love triangle in a war like backdrop at the final years of the Ottoman empire. Conflict between the Turks and Armenians. Not the biggest Oscar Isaac fan, but acting was solid. Plot is a bit romanticized. As a period piece, cinematography is nice to look at.

Grade B

[​IMG]
    Velma (tv series) - big audience backlash on it, but I kind of want to judge for myself. Watched first few episodes. It's joke dense. Similar to some Mindy K's other leading characters, the protagonist is kind of unlikable. This may be intentional, but it makes it difficult to latch onto. Going in kinda knew they were going to poop on Fred, after the show; still wasn't a fan of their decision. They should have kept Fred as wholesome. Animation is solid; Ideas/dialogue hit and miss.

Audience scores on RT was like 9% (at time of this writing), which is super low. I don't think it's that bad, still...

Grade: C-

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

Jurassic World Dominion - 2/10

It was just a mess of a movie from "plots" to timelines and just everything in between. Only reason I didn't give it a 0 was the throwbacks they had to the original movie along with the original characters.

GRENDEL likes this.
  17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Missing - A sort of follow up to Search from a few years back that uses the same idea of having the entire thing unfold on computer and phone screens. It's actually a fairly entertaining thriller even though it get a bit ludicrous in its final act. Storm Reid is really good which makes the movie work far better than it should.... B

18. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Anybody watch The Paper Tigers? RT has really high ratings...and Netflix is about to drop it...so I was wondering if I should watch.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Watched it a few months ago. It was aight. Forgetable .

boomboom likes this.
  20. JW86

JW86 Member

Shotgun Wedding - 1/10 - Truly do not even bother with this, it's all kinds of bad. There's no way around it.