1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I really dont care if Cal pays $50 million a year for Sean Payton is not my money, so I dont care, but I do care trading 1 or 2 1st rounds picks for Sean Payton so I dont want him.

Why people bother about how much money Cal is going to pay the HC? it isnt against the salary cap, its not your money, so why does it matter, but trading 1st rd draft picks its different, because that really hits the team.

2. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

No way they are trading that much for him. The 33rd and maybe a 3rd ...maybe

tmoney1101 and conquistador#11 like this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

4. Fantasma Negro

I honestly don't care about the salary, if Cal wants to pay him that have at it. I don't think it makes sense trading two first round picks for him when he only has one year left on his contract. **** the saints, we as fans suffered all season as the team earned those picks through sucking and we're just going to give them away for a guy that quit on his team once his qb retired? Nah, its Gannon or DeMeco for me

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Nobody talking about this? Colin Cowherd goes out to dinner with Sean Payton and he comes back later with this comment? Would seem that Payton has no interest going to the Texans if true.

liveguy, Fantasma Negro and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I tend to not care, either. But to answer your question, I think it's reasonable to be concerned with how much *more* money McNair might spend on assistants, scouting, etc. etc., etc. if he has to pay three coaches... what? $130MM?

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, we talked about this yesterday. Page 171.

8. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

I thought Payton couldn't interview in person until the 17th and his interview with the Texans was the 16th, which may be one of the reasons it took place on Zoom?

raining threes likes this.
  9. raining threes

If Caserio hired the coaches this would be true.

In fact it's the reason Payton is my #1 choice. Less chance for Cal to screwup this hire.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not to be that guy, but....hard to take a tweet seriously when it comes from some rando who can't even spell "since" correctly.

11. Major

Major Member

I don't really know. But I feel like if you're committing to give Payton that much money and are willing to give up the picks, you probably should be all in. Skimping on assistants in that case seems ridiculous, but it's Cal, so who really knows.

Nook likes this.
  12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Agreed on that front although, you can argue the fact that Ryans already has a better track record than any of the first time HC we’ve hired on to date.

We were all confused with the BoB hire but just accepted it.

Culley was definitely even more of a head scratcher while adding even more compounding confusion when it was announced that, out of all people, McCown would be the front runner to be Culley’s successor.

I wouldn’t blame people for being leery of hiring Ryans but he’s in a better position to succeed, based on his talents, more than anyone we’ve even considered lately.

All that being said, I don’t feel like Cal will even consider bringing Demeco in seriously. He’d just be a Rooney Rule interview since they already have their sights set on Payton.

13. Fantasma Negro

Great news, let the panthers or broncos give up two first round pick for him

14. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

they beyond past the rooney rule.. they have interview two black coaches already this would be the 3rd..

15. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

i would never go with this dumb*** to lunch if i was payton. if this is true you are basically hurting payton by announcing this stuff.
    If i was payton i would be pissed at this guy, hes not helping his negotiations tactics..

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

So we ( yall) hoping for for OC and DC since the Texans will be interviewing WR and RB coaches for HC next week ? Ain't none of the top candidates taking the goofballs serious..

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Kubiak had a little more of a track record... having called plays on a back-to-back SB winner, along with training under Shannahan.

We all know coaching lineage matters in terms of success in this league. The Bill Walsh tree continues on to this day. On defense, you have the Buddy Ryan tree... the Belichick tree... then maybe the Wade Phillips tree?

There are less defensive lineages probably due to continued rule changes and needing to re-invent schemes. Plus offense tends to be more emphasized year to year, and is frankly valued more by franchises looking to have both immediate and long term success (plus its more expensive).

Demeco served under Saleh... who was previously with the Jags with a coaching staff that seems to date back to Marinelli lineage...who ironically trained under Dungy/Lovie Smith.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Doubt the Saints will get that. They'll maybe get one conditional first. And there's nothing they can do about it.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I was thinking 33 and a 4th or a 5th to jump up a couple spots into the late first like they reportedly wanted.

No Worries and Rudyc281 like this.