1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Confirmed] Rafael Stone involved in practices, coaches meetings, halftime discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 18, 2023.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Thanks.

It sounds like he's known for contract structures or trade structures which makes sense as a former lawyer. That doesn't really help much in our current situation when we just need to get good players and coaches. A unique trade/contract structure is pretty useless to us.

And LOL - gotta promote the guy who got us McLemore and Nwaba!

Who knows, he may redeem himself down the road. But, it just seems like an odd hire with not a whole lot of precedent.

ramotadab likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That's so cool. A GM with a mamba mentality that cares.

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Go after Stone. He's been on my list this year to get rid off.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If the report is true, a few things:
    1. (agreeing with most of you) Yeah, I don't want anyone without deep and fundamental hands-on basketball coaching knowledge working with the players on basketball, period.
    2. If Stone is smart, can't he see that this meddling is not helping the good of the product on the court or the development of the players, or even Silas's ability to influence the team?
    3. Even if he's not smart, every minute he's with the team keeps him from actually doing the GM job the org needs him to do.

FFS, I hope this report is totally overblown. But it mirrors what's been happening in baseball these days.

Yung-T and sirjesse like this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I have no problem with a GM being involved or an avid bystander if it helps said gm scout better or understand the chemistry of the team before tinkering with the roster.
    Gms without feel of the game should b an active participant in the trench learning and watching the game.

A problem i do have is the GM dictating or telling the coach how to do his job.

burlesk and bmelo like this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So he learned from watching Morey, who got away with a lot as a GM because the rockets were always good under his tenure and he was at the forefront of NBA analytics which proved successful. Morey was a hockey guy before he went to work for the Celtics. It was the success he had over time that bought him the power to try to roll HOF coaches like Rick Adleman. And honestly it’s not a wise approach to overly micro manage that kind of stuff; it drives people away.

stone played college basketball and has been in the org a long time, holding many different roles. He’s got the pedigree to be a good GM and he’s a smart guy.

but he doesn’t seem to understand that you can’t just start off being overly aggressive and imposing when you havent demonstrated any success of your own or earned any respect. And if Stone wants to approach things this way, he needs to be held extra accountable for the state of the franchise and results.

7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

So which game is Silas gonna win on purpose to screw our draft positioning? .. Last game with the last of the top 4 lottery spots up for grabs? He ain't got it in him like Lovie.. lmao

ramotadab likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He did play Division III basketball at Williams.

Those games vs. Middlebury, Amherst, Bates and Bowdoin were no joke boys.

9. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Some of you all are truly delusional if you wanted or even thought the Rockets would be competitive this season. We are in year 2 of a rebuild with our last first round pick coming up for a while. Not to mention a draft with a few franchise difference makers. Chess, not checkers.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We will have massive cap room this summer, but I don't see any players in the free agent market we should throw it at.

Yung-T and ashleyem like this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Who? Are those Schools are players?

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If he's involved in those kids twerking in halftime shows send him to jail right now.

HP3 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  13. a time to chill

Now is not the right time to fire anybody. It's clear that this is an organizational tank. Stone will make his splashes in trades/free agency market this offseason. But if we're still this bad next year...fire everyone.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I agree, but what does he do in these huddles and meetings? Is he just there or asking to design plays? LOL. I mean seriously. We've all been around micromanaging people always hovering over your shoulder, but I'm trying to figure out what he was doing in these meetings. If he's just sitting there or watching, I really don't feel as bad - that's his prerogative. But if he's saying "no, I think Alpi should do this..." or "Jalen should be doing this..." as they're practicing, then I may have problems. lol. I'm curious if Morey did this, also.

HP3, B-Bob and ramotadab like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nerds taking over basketball.

DD

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think it's been stated in the past that the whole talent evaluation and stuff is more of a team effort, so I'm not as worried about that. Even with Morey around, I doubt it was a 1-man operation. I remember Feigen saying McNair used to be the line of communication between the coaching staff and ownership and used to fly around with the team while Stone and Witus used to work with Morey more. Maybe Stone is doing McNair's old job. Who knows. A lot of people jumping to all kinds of conclusions without actual knowledge, as usual.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Deal with it in the offseason I would say, shore up the culture while at it.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Moreyball simple..... haha

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Correct, Stone is the black Jack Easterby.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I was in on Stone at the start. I'm not completely out but he's doing himself no favors.