1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

yes seems odd, but i wouldnt be suprised that payton can sniff he internal dysfunction by the texans in a zoom meeting.

why is it that only the texans are the only team to interview Gannon? or did i miss any other team interest?

at this point mcnair better go all in for Ryans ( Payton would be a great choice), but doubt his interested while caserio is here.

HstnSprtsFan101 likes this.
  2. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Mcnair seems like a dumb guy for some reason. hes a terrible speaker. even in his 610 interview last week his wife had to cut him off and save him
    from embarrasing himself. he needs to give the team to his brother lol.. this guy is clueless.

whag00 likes this.
  3. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

More the latter than the former. If McNair was serious about Payton that interview would have been in person.

4. HstnSprtsFan101

It’s really starting to feel like another fake coaching search where they already know their guy. Gannon lol. Wouldn’t be shocked if Demeco backs out before Friday

red5rocket likes this.
  5. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

same ole stuff.. clown show. like why wouldnt they hire gannon last year lol. so now they are going to give in to his demands this year.?
    weird situation... Demeco Ryans should be the one hired, but it will probably be the lone candidate that only has a request from the texans

also a zoom meeting with payton instead of in person?? really,,, cmon texans.

Demeco Ryans meeting better be in person.. atleast show some real insterst

#3425 HOUSTON2017, Jan 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

In person would have needed to wait until after Monday. Think it was reasonable for both sides to do a zoom and then in person if things went well so we’ll probably see soon enough.

But I’m guessing it is very very likely that Payton talked to Cal and is moving on elsewhere.

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Whatever Colin says take the opposite.

BMoney, whag00, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  8. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

true first is always better, but seems like every other team is meeting in person.

Demeco must be in person meeting.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#3429 zeeshan2, Jan 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. houston19519

houston19519 Member

So many reports.. can’t wait till we start to hear about who are coming in for 2nd interviews.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Texans +550 to land Payton

Broncos +225

Panthers +450

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

His brother manages the family wealth, and wants nothing to do with the Texans. As such, out of all of Bob's children, Cary seems to be the only one with any sort of dynamic personality and ability to navigate the high-profile business world they live in. Unfortunately, he was very up front about the fact that he does not, nor ever wanted to be involved with the Texans. Also, it really seems like Cal and his sisters inherited Janice's anxiety and disdain for the spotlight. Cal only seems to be taking a more public role with the Texans because the family has finally realized that the city has had enough of their shtick. I know I pound this point a lot on these boards, but the McNair family is wholly unimpressive. It's a shame we have to bear the brunt of their ineptitude as fans.

13. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

nice intel.. man but as a brother wouldn't you come out and say you know what bro you fkn up lol. stop embarrassing yourself bro..
    let me show you how this needs to be done. but whatever in this case they should consider selling the team. this will not end well

14. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Agree with all of this with this caveat: they have no doubt done good things for this city philanthropically and bringing us an NFL team. Having said that, their stewardship of the Texans has been a failure and I’m hoping for a change sooner than later.

Deep Steel Truth likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Shane Steichen sat in the booth above the field as a quality control coach in Cleveland in 2013 watching offensive coordinator Norv Turner call the plays. The Browns were heavy underdogs in a Week 14 game against the New England Patriots, yet on that December afternoon, Turner’s offense tallied its most yards of the season. Jason Campbell threw three touchdown passes. If not for two Patriots scores in the final 61 seconds, that day would have been remembered as a remarkable upset.

Steichen recalls the game for one specific reason that still resonates a decade later as the Eagles’ offensive coordinator.

“He might have looked at his call sheet three or four times, and I was like, ‘This is unbelievable,’” Steichen said of Turner.

“No question,” Turner confirmed in an interview with The Athletic.

Turner is Steichen’s biggest influencer as a play caller. He helped Steichen break into the NFL in 2011. Steichen has since ascended the coaching ranks and spent seven years on the Chargers’ offensive staff before Eagles coach Nick Sirianni handed him the play-calling duties in the middle of the 2021 season.

“I thought Norv just had an unbelievable feel for the game, calling the game, when to call shots,” Steichen said. “He always said, ‘Shoot, the best games I’ve ever called is when I really am not looking down at the call sheet.’”

That sentiment actually came from a conversation with John Madden in 1999 when Turner coached Washington. Madden met with Turner before the game to discuss the play calling for a team that finished the year No. 2 in scoring offense. The famed broadcaster and Super Bowl-winning coach looked at Turner’s play sheet and asked how Turner found everything on it. Turner shared that if he has to look at the sheet throughout the game, “We’re probably not doing very good.”

“You have a pretty good idea what you have and what you like and what you practice and what you want to do,” Turner said. “So a lot of times — and that’s what Shane talks about — a lot times you don’t look at your play call. You know what you want to run and it’s in your mind and you don’t have to read it off a card. It’s something that you’ve gone through so many times. It’s branded in your brain and you just call it.”

This has been a guiding principle for Steichen, who calls the plays for an offense ranked No. 3 in DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average), No. 3 in scoring, No. 3 in yards, No. 4 in third-down percentage and No. 3 in red zone percentage. His work as a play caller hasn’t just helped the Eagles to the No. 1 seed, it’s also made Steichen a popular head-coaching candidate. He’s already interviewed for jobs with Houston, Indianapolis and Carolina.

“I’ve had a few drives for sure where we’ve been rolling, but I’ll look down at (the play sheet) every once in a while,” Steichen said after the Eagles’ 48-22 win over the Giants in Week 14. “But when it’s going good, yeah, you’re usually not looking at it.”

When Steichen described what makes a good play caller, the first characteristic he identified is a “feel, a rhythm of the game.” There are technical aspects, such as knowing tendencies based on down. That allows the play caller to be “aggressive and attacking,” which Steichen explained as a hallmark of a good play caller. But he often describes feel and rhythm, and it’s that “feel” that most resonated with him about Turner.

Steichen returned to that same word — ”feel” — when explaining why he’d be compelled to keep running or keep passing. He must have a feel for the game, know the situation and know what’s working.

Steichen also finds ways to redress staple plays, allowing the Eagles to run different variations from the same look. One example was DeVonta Smith’s touchdown catch in the first game against the Cowboys on a play when Smith is typically used to pick a defender.

“I think it’s endless, honestly,” Steichen said. “You can do so many different things with a certain play to dress it up. We go up there and look at different ways to do that every single week, and that’s what we have to do as coaches to keep running the plays that we’re good at and keep dressing them up.”

Steichen said he’s grown most as a play caller with his understanding of situational football — what to call from a certain down and distance, the flow of the game and what to do to center the offense if it’s struggling.

“The more you play, the more you see,” Steichen said. “The more you call games, the more you see and the more you have a feel for it and when to call things at certain points in the game.”

Steichen doesn’t have a decade calling plays, but he’s now done it with multiple starting quarterbacks with different styles, in different offensive systems and against almost every defensive scheme. That’s given the 37-year-old enough insight to recognize what he didn’t appreciate when he first called plays in the NFL.

“It’s not always going to be perfect,” said Steichen, who referred to the Week 17 loss to New Orleans as the worst game he’s called. “But bouncing back from those games that aren’t always going to be perfect, especially when you are struggling, trying to find something to get it going, and then getting out of that rut. Then, really just looking at yourself. Looking at yourself in the mirror and going back and saying, ‘What could I have done better as a play caller in those situations?’ Then go forward from there and make the corrections.”

BMoney, rfrocket, Shark44 and 3 others like this.
  16. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

17. HstnSprtsFan101

It doesn’t sound like Demeco will be headed back to SF as long as he gets an opportunity somewhere. Hopefully that’s here

18. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Hopefully he’s a thinker. Clearly not a speaker. Hannah I was impressed by. She took the difficult questions and topics and IMO had good responses, thoughtful answers.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. liveguy

liveguy Member

I have a feeling he will coach just like he played.

Would be a great fit for the Texans.

All they need is to find the right OC match to compliment him.

Could hopefully be a Tomlin if things align right.

Per everyone that knows the guy or played with him, he’s a natural born Captain that leads by example.

Rudyc281 and HstnSprtsFan101 like this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Cal McNair at the rockets game lol

Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.