1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Helmets On, I Think We Might Be Tanking

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The Process is filling up ferntits bank account even while we whiff on no. 1s...

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Detroit sucked even with Cade, Stewart, Bey, Hayes, Burks, etc.
    OKC has SGA and first round picks, so it's not just Chet. They've got SGA, Giddey, Dort, Williams, and about another 30 1st rounders. Their fans should probably be pissed more than the Rockets'. The one thing they're doing right is tanking and acquiring picks.
    San Antonio has been losing (in a mediocre way) for about the last 4 years, but hey, we want their coach and their FO, right? Don't worry - just be mediocre instead of being outright bad and this, too, can happen to you. But Rockets fans of the past know what a joy it is to be a team that's not really good or bad - they just exist.
    Orlando. Loaded with "steals" and great picks. They're 3 games ahead of us right now. Go Magic! Must just be the coach/FO.

It's almost like tanking, rebuilding, sucky teams just suck until they've got enough talent and cohesiveness to not suck.

3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Anytime your rotation is mostly first and second year guys, it’s a tank by default.

4. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

• Draft wemby - tank is over
    • Re-sign harden - pg problem solved
    • Sign veteran big man - should be able to play all three front court positions on defense
    • Sign veteran guard - needs to bring locker room presence and pass first mentality
    • Coaching change is negotiable depending on team performance next year. Like it or not, Silas has commanded the tank well and has earned a chance to stick around with a much improved squad
    Here’s the squad

KPJ
    Beard
    JG4
    TyTy
    JC
    Veteran guard

Bari
    Tari
    KMJ
    Wemby
    Sengun
    Garuba
    Veteran big man

I like it

Dankstronaut likes this.
  5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

That’s funny, because I’m pretty sure Jordan Peterson social media stuff only gets lapped up by losers. If you are seeing more and more Jordan Peterson videos via your YouTube algorithm, you might need a break because the big data algorithms are smelling some Loser in the water.

Xopher, gifford1967, fryjol7 and 3 others like this.
  6. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

lol love this - Embrace a top 4 pick! Our best players on this roster with the most potential have been obtained through the draft.

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

It is possible to develop talent and not look totally inept - while still losing...
    It is possible to develop good traits and work ethic - while still losing...
    It is possible to push your players to be their best and build a solid culture - while still losing...

unfortunately, we're just tanking... smdh...

Dankstronaut likes this.
  8. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Ancient Moabite and J.R. like this.
  9. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

And they owe their pick to pelicans I believe

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  10. Ancient Moabite

The 7 day theory: don killuminati

The 7 days of the week
    The 7 cardinal colors
    The 7 chakras
    The 7 key notes in the music scale
    The 7 seas
    The 7 continents
    The 7 virtues
    The 7 deadly sins
    The 7 liberal arts
    The seven stages of development (7/14/21)
    The principles of 7 (28 day cycle / 7 - 7 - 7 - 7)

Lucky 7, will lead the Rockets all the way to lottery draft heaven, 1st overall

Dankstronaut likes this.
  11. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Dare I say post of the year?

Dankstronaut likes this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

It may be so far but who knows, it could just as easily tank.

budummpshhhhhh

I tried. Everyone wants Wembanyama but no one wants to admit there's about 7 more games for us to win in between now and June. Y'all enjoy talking about how Sengun should start and trade for LaJello Ball though. I admit, there's not much to talk about if they don't trade Gordon. And it doesn't look like they will soooo

hajkov likes this.
  13. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Tthe team is trying to win... I don't think Jalen or KPJ want Wemby here because they know the team will automatically be his.

Not to mention Jabari and Sengun, after all, it's their position in jeopardy.

- Silas is terrible, the worst coach I have ever seen in basketball, but yet some decisions in-game are so absurdly dumb that I do think there is a subtle attempt of self sabotaging to lose games... For real, if the guy were that bad he would never make the NBA, not even if your father is the team owner...

- since it is next year were we clear 40m cap space and you have a shot at the best prospect after LBJ, you tell your coach to keep running an experience with the young guys and figuring out who will make the team. That's why 11-12 players get minutes almost every game.

So, the fact that our goals this season does not include winning, Stone hasn't taken any action so far...

Conspiracy theory? Maybe, but it is a theory that sure as hell makes sense.

14. dmoneybangbang

And yet there's still a very vocal section of the GARM that can't accept this reality.

daywalker02 and Dankstronaut like this.
  15. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Whether intentionally or not, this T-34 is entering the battlefield, babyyyyyy

ThrillaNManilla and daywalker02 like this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Eh, I mean maybe Sengun since that's who Wembanyama takes over. I'm guessing Green, Porter, Martin, Smith would relish the opportunity to play with a PnR lob threat who defends the rim. That "who's team" mentality is treacherous af for real. That's why we couldn't have Harden AND someone else, while other teams put together 2, 3, 4 star level players for years. Green, Porter, Martin, Smith, Wembanyama is like a 23U all-star squad. Keep enough money in their pockets to hit their primes and I would guarantee it's worth at least one chip.

hajkov likes this.
  17. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Who cares? The tank is about collecting young assets. That's it. The Rockets will have at least 8 talented assets next summer and will be in position to make legit trades, sign FAs, and otherwise remake the roster.

The real work will be by Stone (and Tilman) over the next three years. For now, Silas is getting the desired result. Unfortunately for him, Silas may or may not be here during the rebuild. I don't get the Silas hate.

Plowman likes this.
  18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i couldnt disagree more... collecting assets is only 1 aspect to a rebuild...

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haha SNL magic....

Seriously they are closer to a solution than I thought.

They have a very good front court and only have to figure out their back court.

Definitely shooting is the weak link.

One of Cole Anthony, Suggs or Fultz has to go and one guy has to come off the pine.

#39 daywalker02, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

When the Rockets acquired James Harden in 2012, after three seasons the Rockets had retained exactly three players on the roster by 2014;
    Patrick Beverley
    Donatas Montiejunas
    Terrance Jones

Once you have identified your cornerstone players, the rest of the roster is fluid.

As a GM, it's about identifying your core and acquiring assets. Period.