1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trust Fund Baby's Latest Legal Loss

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Dec 1, 2022.

1. HTM

HTM Member

And rich Democrats don’t hire accountants and pay the least tax they can get away with?

2. HTM

HTM Member

So now the new thing is going to be whoever controls the House subpoenaing opposition politicians tax returns and releasing them to the public just for funsies? Great. Democrats started it. Just what the country needed.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have no problem with a Republican Congress subpoena a Democratic President’s taxes and releasing it to the public. They don’t need to because the last several Democratic (and GOP with one big exception) already made their taxes public

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You keep on saying they’ve been “vetted” but as has been shown that doesn’t mean there isn’t malfeasance and unethical things in them.

And yet again. You talk about rights but there is no right to run for public office. Also as the USSC recently argued that Roe was flawed because there isn’t a constitutional right to Privacy.
    If you don’t want a lot of scrutiny then don’t run for a position that you’re asking the public to entrust you with a lot of power.

And yes people in positions of public trust should have their financial records public. Rank and file LEO are subject to financial scrutiny. I would say that for anyone running for elected position such as county sheriff they should release their taxes.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sure, i dare them to do it retroactive to 1970!

Oh wait... Lol I'm not a goddamed idiot nvm fellows lol

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If you don't want to vote for him then you have that right just like he doesn't have to run

Unethical is a subjective term. What has proven be unethical? Trump is a real estate person. The tax code is written in favor of driving real estate development because the government believes in real estate driving the economy. There is a reason tax shelters exist.

Is a real estate developer taking advantage of the tax code unethical?

7. HTM

HTM Member

Why should it be limited to Presidents?

Presidents don’t have to release their tax returns. There’s no law that requires that.

The IRS is there to investigate income tax return violations. Why does Congress need to start doing this? And why are they releasing them to the public? Merely for partisan political gain? How noble.

Rich people pay accountants to make it so they pay the least tax possible. That’s true regardless of political affiliation.

8. HTM

HTM Member

Good. I’m sure you won’t have any problem when a Republican controlled house decides to start investigating and releasing for public dissection every Democrat they don’t likes tax returns.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Some of the tax returns have been examined, and even for those the IRS essentially said we didn't get to look at everything. Multiple years weren't examined and should have been. So no, we don't know that he has been following the law, as far as properly filing taxes goes. The fact that the early returns when he was in office weren't examined and that the agency head was appointed by him is extra shady.

And what you're missing...as far as following the law is concerned...is that if he was overstating his assets to banks to get loans then that's clearly against the law. And that's what the tax returns support (assets and income claimed). Whether or not they tie that into that investigation...who knows. That also depends on who is appointed or elected to that position.

10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

you seem to have difficulty in understanding basic facts. Have Dems ever subpoenaed Republican senator or representative tax records? Of course not. Did they do it to Trump because he declined to release his tax records like every other president in modern history? Of course they did.

so, if republicans decide to seek and release tax records of Dem senators and representatives, that’s their choice. The fact that Dems obtained trumps tax records certainly would not justify the escalation.

personally, I would love it if every member of Congress had to disclose their tax records. If republicans want to play that game, I’m all for it. But I’m confident Republican representative won’t go down that road. That kicks as hard as it shoots.

But to my original point. Don’t be obtuse. Dems getting Trumps tax records is a unique step because he first took the unique step of not disclosing. Fox News all you want, but at least try to use the brain.

11. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Here is one reason. Because we deserve to know if someone running for President or is President, who is screaming at the top of his lungs about his opponent being beholden to China, is actually the one who has bank accounts in China and has paid more in taxes to China than he has to the U.S.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Overstating his assets to banks is a different issue than taxes

I understand that the IRS may have not been able to thoroughly examine his taxes. That's not reason to make them public information. What can any of us do if the IRS is behind in examining his taxes?

The IRS is the authority that can force him to back up the information in his tax returns. There is nothing anyone else can do to make sure the returns are thoroughly examined.

The IRS's lack of manpower is not a Trump issue. His tax returns are complicated. That's an IRS issue and a tax code issue and regardless there is nothing making them public will do.

The article about his tax returns is questioning different issues in the returns but it can't resolve any of those issues. To me it backs up Trump saying this information shouldn't be made public because the questions aren't resolve and until the issues are resolved it's unfair to him.

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That would be a good thing considering Trump was the only president in fifty years who refused to release his returns (and, of course, lied about why he didn't). Biden has released his and hopefully president number 47 follows this long-held norm, too.

14. adoo

adoo Member

just like George Santos , PGab lies/makes up crap so often that he loses track of his previous claims, ending up contradicting himself.

once again, your are publicizing your willful ignorance.

Trump has donated real estate assets to charities, for which he claims tax deductions;
    when he overstate the value of the asset, he is overstating his charitable donation on his tax return​

#174 adoo, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know why I'm responding to you but icehouse specifically was referring to the investigation of overstating assets for loans.

When I write vett, I'm not referring to audit. The IRS vetts every return, an audit is an investigation beyond their normal process

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I want all tax returns, all investments, any financial transitions of any elected person who writes and votes for our laws that regulate commerce to be public.

Yes.

I would even ask for a NASCAR style jacket that has patches for all their corporate doners that is legally required to be worn on any political events.

I'm down to remove as much conflict of interest in our law making procedures.

One does not have a right to be a law maker. It's a privilege. Therefore you must sacrifice for that privilege.

The element of sacrificing for public service has completely been removed in our legislatures. It's purely a grifting position now.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  17. adoo

adoo Member

another page out of the George Santos play book.

when being called out for his false claim of being Jewish

Santos said "when i said i am Jewish, i mean "Jew-ish" "​

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

When you say the "IRS vetts every return", what do you mean by that? Just because they make sure the required information exists (name, tax ID, etc) and the math adds up doesn't mean they check that the taxpayer filed truthful information.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why is it necessary that they audit a president's return. I don't want the answer of well that's what they do. I'm asking why are you hung up on Trump being audited

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What is false about saying the IRS vetts every return?