1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking news: Correa to the Mets!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Dec 21, 2022.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think the tweet was a joke

tehG l i d e likes this.
  2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

turned out to be a blessing for CC. still got a huge 12 year deal. now plays for a legitimate WS contender.

Giants left with nothing who struck out big time this offseason

4. Major

Major Member

That's true of a lot of teams - every team that signed a $210+MM contract anytime in the last many years.

Nick likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I hate it when this BBS tries to decipher medical stuff....

Every team does physicals for all trades/signings. If the insinuation is that the Giants do "better/thourough" physicals and thus free agents may be scared to sign there, that is pretty non-sensical. Correa is free to disclose whatever issue is in "dispute" and the Giants could easily confirm or disagree to their statement. HIPAA also goes out the window when players are officially members of the team as disclosing injuries becomes part of the standard process in injury reports (although neither the player nor the team has to go into full extent/details for the MLB... the NFL is a different beast).

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly... that should be taken as more a dig at the Pirates who are just profiting immensely due to their shallow operating costs.

At least small market teams can no longer say "build us a new stadium so we can compete!" bullshit anymore. Even with new stadiums, the small market teams are remaining small market.

7. Jeremy Williams

Pretty sure it was just a joke. ;)

tehG l i d e likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He has to pass a physical before the Mets deal is done.
    If Correa fails the Mets physical also, you bet this story is going viral.

If Correa passes, the Met spending is a story unto itself and Carlos is the latest addition.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

addition/edition? Both work.

10. Dredd

Dredd Member

Imagine how this press conference will go.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4024212/2022/12/21/agent-boras-explains-correa-giants-mets/

Eight days after Carlos Correa tentatively agreed with the San Francisco Giants on a 13-year, $350 million free-agent contract, his agent, Scott Boras, told the team he could wait no longer.

“We reached an agreement. We had a letter of agreement. We gave them a time frame to execute it,” Boras said. “They advised us they still had questions. They still wanted to talk to other people, other doctors, go through it.

“I said, ‘Look, I’ve given you a reasonable time. We need to move forward on this. Give me a time frame. If you’re not going to execute, I need to go talk with other teams.”

Boras did just that early Wednesday morning, reaching agreement for Correa with the Mets on a 12-year, $315 million contract. That deal, too, is pending a physical, but Mets owner Steve Cohen already is on record talking about his addition, telling the New York Post, “We needed one more thing, and this is it.”

…In Boras’ view, Correa is a healthy player.

“You’re talking about a player who has played eight major-league seasons,” Boras said. “There are things in his medical record that happened decades ago. These are all speculative dynamics.

“Every team has a right to go through things and evaluate things. The key thing is, we gave them (the Giants) medical reports at the time. They still wanted to sign the player and negotiate with the player.”

Correa, 28, has been mostly healthy the past two seasons, appearing in 148 games with the Astros in 2021 and 136 games with the Twins last season. He signed a three-year, $105.3 million free-agent contract last March, and exercised his right to opt out of the deal after one year. If the Twins had any concerns about Correa’s ability to stay healthy at the time, the short-term nature of the deal lessened the risk.

The most significant physical problems Correa endured were earlier in his career. He has well-documented back issues that led to stints on the injured list in both 2018 and 2019, and suffered a season-ending leg injury in June 2014, while he was 19 and still in the minor leagues.

The leg injury occurred when Correa was on the verge of a promotion to Double A with the Astros. Correa hit an RBI triple and his spike got stuck on the bag. The initial report was that the issue was with his ankle. But it turned out Correa required arthroscopic surgery to repair a fractured right fibula and minor ligament damage. He has not been on the injured list for a lower right-leg issue since.

As for Correa’s back, whispers surfaced last offseason, during his first go-round in free agency, that he was not fully healthy. Correa hired Boras last January, and Boras had him visit Dr. Robert Watkins, whose website describes him as the “top spine surgeon for professional athletes in the world.” Both Correa and Boras told The Athletic in April Watkins gave the player a clean bill of health, and Boras conveyed that information to clubs.

“We did a detailed medical review of Carlos’ past and present medical records and arranged a battery of physician exams,” Boras said. “The findings confirmed a very elite and healthy player and dismissed any rumored concerns.”

Added Correa, “(Watkins) said, ‘This dude is as stable, as healthy as he can be.’ Hearing that from the best back doctor in the world, it was reassuring. I knew that already because I’ve been feeling great. But to get that expert opinion, after an MRI and the work I’ve been putting in …

“This is what I tell people. There’s no way you can go out and win a Platinum Glove if your back is not right. There’s no way you can put up an .850 OPS if your back is not right against the elite pitching we’re facing nowadays. There’s no way you play 148 games — and I could have played more, but the COVID IL got me — if your back’s not right. There’s no way you sign a $105 million deal for three years, go through physicals for insurance and for the team if it’s not right.”

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I imagine that there may not be one.

13. ImMikeV

ImMikeV Member

"We know our rights."

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Mets don't care, and I'm sure Correa doesn't care cause he got 300 mil, but I wish he was in SF. He would be terrorizing the Dodgers while also playing SS.

15. Radricky

Radricky Member

“There are things in his medical record that happened decades ago. These are all speculative dynamics.
    Is this in reference to his leg?

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yes, when he was 7 or 8 years old...

Radricky likes this.
  17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

My guess is that in the long term, the Mets are going to regret this, but for now they’re going to be really, really good!

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Boras' Doctors told Boras EXACTLY what he wanted to hear. Is anybody really surprised? He has NO INTEREST in a player with injuries. "Therefore he has none." Prove me wrong by giving me one example of a player likely to get a large contract where HIS Doctor said he's injured.

20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Divert. Talk about something that ISN'T the problem and ignore what is.