1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tim McMahon: Rumor Harden might return to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 20, 2022.

1. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

Harden probably isn’t feeling the love he was getting here but nah that ship has sailed on to the next player.

2. hahachui

hahachui Member

for MLE yes. I don’t want to see KPJ or nix

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden is a PG, so not sure why u quoted me your useless statement

Dobbizzle likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

These are not rationales for why it would happen, they are just slices of silver linings if it happens.

For it to happen, the Sixers have to want to trade him to Houston and Tilman is going to have to want to pay him a lot of money.

The Sixers will either win or lose. If he wins, he's staying. If he loses, he's getting traded for something the Sixers need. They don't need a trade exception and they don't need any of our vets or young players. There's no motive for them to do it. Also, Harden wants a title. He gave up money, he left the Nets, he ceded shots in the offense. This is not a James Harden who wants to see an underdog win. This is a James Harden who will do anything to win a title immediately. That guy has no motive to come to Houston.

From the Rockets side, you don't want to pay a max salary to an out of shape defensive zero who can average 20 points and 10 assists and needs his own shot despite declining. We've been through this with fat Chris Paul and also with Dwight Howard. He's not guarding the other team's best player and neither is Jalen, so who is doing that? Is Harden guarding the other team's PG something he has never in his career done at an acceptable level? It's not a fit at all.

He CAN NOT mentor the young guys. I'm telling you, I'm a bigger fan of Harden than you are, but he is not mentoring young guys. There's no one further from that description than James Harden.

Finally, it is totally false that the Rockets must spend on somebody. They can preserve their cap space for 2024 and keeping an eye on a rising or peaking star to break loose and become available. Teams that spend max money on declining max players should be tanking or they are stupid.

While there may be good things associated with him coming here, that's not an implication that it could realistically happen. Everyone can make a list of positives if Harden joined them but that is not the full picture, there are advantages AND disadvantages to everything and the combination of those two are what's important. There are easily 4 other teams who can offer Sixers more suitable assets and Harden would prefer to play for i.e. they can make a much more positive list than what you've created here and a smaller list of obstacles.

Be honest, if he wasn't a Rocket before, why on earth would we do this? Is he the only starting calibre PG who will become available to us? Will he suddenly love Tilman who he lied to run away from? We have an excellent young core and two max cap slots. If we patiently develop our guys and sign people into that $60m that are mostly worth their salary, we have a dynasty on our hands. If we waste that real estate on players who will give you 70% of their salary's worth, we are f*cked just like we were all those years with Harden's sidekicks. How many times should we go through having an overpaid second star, being near luxury tax and then not having enough to add more quality players? It's a terrible situation and I'm certain Stone will see that.

5. AKVerse47

AKVerse47 Member

I'm perfectly fine with our rebuild. We have a lot of talent and will be able to grab a pure point guard that is younger via the draft or trade. Was a big Harden fan when he was here, but please no.

True Rocket likes this.
  6. foggy94

foggy94 Member

No, and I wasn't reporting it. As the tweet says, it's just something Tim McMahon said.

harold bingo likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden has a PO, he can choose not to exercise it and simply be a FA…we will have cap space, so I don’t see why “the Sixers have to want to trade him to Houston”

if Harden wanted to come back to Houston, and the Rockets wanted him, there’s nothing the Sixers can do about it

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

harden comes back everyone on the team instantly becomes better. Will we win anything probably not. it would b more exciting than watching the kpj show thats for sure.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There are certainly some scenarios where I could see him back.

And we would be dumb not to welcome him.

Spoon feeding Jabari wide open shots would be insane.

Can you imagine if we got Wemby and he was playing the lob game with Harden like Capela did.

11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

[​IMG]

sirjesse likes this.
  12. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

If he takes a pay cut, absolutely.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

SOFs on suicide watch!!

Harden would turn Sengun into a rim runner. Post ups?? Yea right!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Personally I'd take Harden. Maybe he would demand Silas be canned. That would be ideal. I am James Harden fan and considering this team is going nowhere fast from the looks of it, it's hard not to get excited to bring back Harden to man the position of most need.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If that happened there's nothing we can do about it, but that's just not going to happen unless he quit on winning a title, and if he quits on winning a title is he still the role model you're hoping he'll be? No, not at all.

What about the money. Are we going to pay him what they pay him? Or is he going to take a financial demotion and a title contention demotion to play for Tilman who he so obviously wanted to get away from? How does that make sense?

There's just no logic to this happening until we start winning without him. If he were the last piece to get us to a title, it would make sense but that's not close. He's already been through being on a Rockets squad that needs him to lead it to a title and decided that he needs other prime superstars to win it. And he's right. Your team has to be good enough to make the playoffs without you, and it must have superstars that can alternate being hot in a playoff series.

16. MadMax94$

MadMax94$ Member

I don't want Harden either; it makes nice for Houston Chronicle headlines but not sure it helps Rockets long term. However, Rockets wouldn't have to trade for him if he is a free agent as stated.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

What does this have to do with u saying that Philly will have to want to trade him to us? What Philly wants isn’t relevant, it’s all up to Harden and the Rockets this upcoming summer.

Harden is on a 2/68 deal with Philly making a little bit more per year than ancient CP3. You’re talking as if he’s currently making 45+ mil/yr and would command that on the open market.

Whether or not it makes sense for Harden to even want to come back here is a different topic, but we do not need Philly to have to want to do anything.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Of brisket in a day? Looks like it.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

As far as seafaring types on 1863 whaling ships, go, First Mate Fogg is relatively dependable, though caution is the word, as I hear on good faith that the fellow is not opposed to a bit of nanty narking when he's in his cups.

Swapshop likes this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

he's going to be 300 pounds and unmotivated if he decides to stop chasing rings and just get a paycheck in Houston. It would be the worst signing ever. If you have a max slot, you want someone that is still trying to prove themselves in the league, not someone who gave up winning and just want to chill with good food and big ol' women at home.