1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Had myself a day at work.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dankstronaut, Dec 8, 2022.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Life is too short to work a **** job.

Pack it in and move on.

Don't even respond to companies under 4.0 on Glassdoor.

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Thanks brehs, I needed all of that. Ya boi Derp did not have a good day yesterday and reading the different perspectives was great. Genuinely, thank you. Today was better lol...

I'm firmly mid-life. Will likely cross 20 years of employment at 38... I think this is part of it, I did everything I could for the family company until it just crumbled... and when I started this job I thought it was going to be a rocket ship to the moon. To finish the analogy I feel like I got dumped off at the space station. It's pretty, I'm high up but I wanted to be on the moon.

Maybe the most appropriate use of this phrase ever lol
    You know I really did start running (not good at it or anything but I do it) a couple years ago and this year just beat it out of me. I want to finish the year maintaining my 150 miles yearly goal but I'm about 40 short so it's going to take quite the effort and yeah it does become another thing but I never regret it afterwards. We'll see, I'm kind of planning to just see how far I can go and call the wife to come pick me up wherever that is.
    [​IMG]

Watched this a couple weeks ago and it holds up so damn well. Like I get shocked by the ****ing metal door handle all the time.

I'm considering it. I actually got informed of merit raises today, I went from the most I've ever made to the most I've ever made. It's hard to walk away from that.
    Curious what you do that involves neither one?
    I think that's how I got this job, honestly I'm not real jazzed about submitting another 400 resumes but it's becoming an option.
    I wish mom and dad still paid my bills if I'm being honest I really didn't appreciate the free ride I got for those 2-3 years after high school.
    Yeah one of the prompts on the survey was "it would take a lot to leave" and you answer one to five (disagree to agree scaling). I said 3, neither disagree nor agree. I mean, about $10k would do it unless it was a LOT farther from my house. I already drive 40 minutes so I feel like that's a big ass area to look for a job. $10k is a lot to me, is it to you (them)? Loyalty is either family or bought. I don't think I need to say that to a company that touts "family" all the time and has 1.2 shitloads of money to spend. Is that not obvious? I feel like that's obvious.
    I'm glad someone does. I think we have a fairly talented team but the egos and attitudes are on my last nerve right now. I'm usually pretty low maintenance but putting words in my mouth, gossiping, sniping, all that crossed a line. I used ol pot-stirring Karen to clap back. She thinks she's slick lol I played that **** like a geetar solo. "Don't tell anybody this but.." b**** was on her phone before I got back to my office. Said I'm being scapegoated for others' performances, poor filing habits and if goldenboy wants to roll his eyes at me again he can meet me out back.

Damn if they haven't tried to cover tracks in the files. Goldenboy even shook my hand at the office xmas party. Karen still thinks she's slick though lol...boss didn't say anything about it. I went from zero to zero ****s, come ask me about it.

Would put me around $160k annually. I'll let him know you guaranteed it!

I feel attacked lol but you're pretty much right. 1. Talents yes, leadership not so much. What we do is a thousand-step process and we have hundreds of 'units' to oversee. I feel like the ability to learn and apply immediately, continue learning, continue applying, never letting things slip expectation is at an unreachable level so idk if that kinda deters motivation but it definitely doesn't help knowing I can kill myself and no one would even say oh hey cool thanks for doing all of that work. Pay stops at 40 hours, I do about 45-48 weekly plus 6-8 commute. Pay me to do 60, I'll do 60 believe it. Let me work from home, I'll just work 2 more hours a day instead of driving. 2. I am ambitious for sure. 3. Yeah, I've heard 2 years from someone who doesn't make the call but also wouldn't lie to me but I want to hear it from my boss or the company. Vague references don't do it for me. Tell me. 4. There's always something else to do so Idk how much that would help. Plus like I said I already put in extra time. Like my reports say go home and spend time with the family. I'm not doing more than this without being compensated for it. 5. Definitely hesitant, this is the most I've ever made so it's hard to walk away from. I want my family to have a good life and this is the best I've ever done for them financially. And I wouldn't care about all of this if I was making what I probably should be making. I've never been afraid of work, or lots of it. I hustle, I don't brag a lot but no one has ever said otherwise. 6. I need to do this.

I appreciate this post. If I may, I think my biggest hangup is that I genuinely would like to continue in the field but my boss is so well connected it would be unlikely to land a job without her knowing or being asked as a reference about me. How would you suggest handling that? Thanks man.

I typed a lot but I've heard about a 2 year milestone. I'm close enough to it I think I want to find out but this is good advice as well.

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Well, I'd suggest having a man-to-man conversation with the highest person at the company possible, letting him know that you are a team player and want to help the company grow. You'd like to get some actionable feedback on how to contribute more to the company and ultimately get promoted when you succeed. They'll respect your resolve and desire to help grow the company. Don't show any fear whatsoever in the meeting -- if that happens, this could backfire. But most employers want honest, hard-working employees who are giving 100% to help the company succeed. If you are doing that, then they'll try to help you achieve your goals. You'd be surprised -- most bosses honestly don't stop and think about whether their employees are having a good work experience. All they care about is themselves. So it is possible that your boss, or your boss' boss, is unaware of your discontent. Clearing the air with them could be beneficial for both parties.

I'm a total a-hole to underperformers, but for those employees that A) have the stones to come talk to me directly; and B) ask how they can help the company more -- I'll support them every time.

Uprising and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Stop b****ing and moaning on a basketball forum in front of people that don’t know you and don’t care.

Man up and fix your situation.

You need to quit your miserable job, have your wife join onlyfans, and then post the link to her page here.

Help us help you.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Not my lane, but if I may...

I think it's a big mistake to get involved in an industry THAT insular. If you can't even make a lateral move without someone breathing down your neck... you've probably entered a field that is so specialized as to be a liability. You either need to network more or get some more skills, because if your boss can sink your job search before it has even begun, you are ****ed.

Invisible Fan and dmoneybangbang like this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I do have bi-monthly meetings with the EVP. Considering what to say that isn't seen as airing dirty laundry but let's him know how I feel about the gossiping, scapegoating, etc. I've already told my boss I felt scapegoated about a problem a client had with a report. This particular report I'm just relaying and formatting. The project isn't going smoothly and the agent's comments were presented as given. Her response was "do it or I'll find someone who will". So I appreciate your outlook but my boss' outlook was pretty ****ing stupid.

7. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

You know, now that I think about it...

There was a PM who moved on to another company. Met him at a conference, he smelled like Willie Nelson's tour bus.

8. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Eat **** and die.

B-Bob and Deckard like this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

woah!

This kind of attitude is not acceptable here.

This is not your workplace.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We're all going to eat **** and die, that's all there is for man to do in this life.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

At least he didn't call you Chad.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Sorry to hear, like others have said you ultimately control your situation. It may be a difficult truth or actually doing the work and taking action for change may be difficult but I found it was worth it when I changed careers in a position that paid well but I was miserable at, ultimately I was paid much more and I'm happier for it. Plan what would ultimately make you truly happy and make the sacrifices to get to that over five, ten years etc.

Find a new position, build a skill that will put you in high demand, and job opportunities to pick and choose. Invest, pay off debt/live below your means, create passive income for financial freedom etc.

And also I used to take pride in not taking time off, and working harder, and longer than everyone else. I learned it's all about the end results and working smarter (fewer hours but more effective results), taking vacations, time off with family, trips, spiritual growth, etc all help your mental health and enjoy what you're working for.

Just make a long-term plan and start taking baby steps, but start because you can't get back time. Enjoy it.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like someone else said, start looking now! Even if you’re not sure you want to leave just yet, these things usually take some time and there is nothing worse than making a rushed decision because you’re completely miserable. Plus, interview practice never hurts.

also, it’s never a good look when a company is constantly hitting you up for goals/surveys/etc. A standard once a year HR B.S. check in one thing, but to have these multiple times a year seems like a company struggling to find its place.

14. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What do you do, exactly?

15. Buck Turgidson

jiggyfly, Xerobull and ThatBoyNick like this.
  16. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I've felt like this at every job I have been at.

We just did an employee survey where everyone I know said they flamed management and there is a lack of culture, which mainly stems from the Company being split a lot and very silo'ed. For example, in accounting, we have a shared services office in Dubai. So if we have issues where they take care it, if we don't get it by 9, it has to wait because they're now sleeping.

The CAO, in all his wisdom, decided the best course of action to respond to this, was...make everyone come into the office for specific days (Mon, Tues, Thurs). I already came in 3 days a week, so this isn't an issue. But, the thought that they think the culture will be fixed by forcing us to come in on specific days is very poor.

Dankstronaut and Xerobull like this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

CAO= Chief ******* Officer?

18. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

I see some things never change around here...

19. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Chief Accounting Officer, but could go the other way too.

Xerobull likes this.
  20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Got really pissed off at work today, and composed a resignation email. After a few minutes I calmed down and went to delete it, but accidentally hit send.

That was an awkward conversation with my boss.

At least they won't be blindsided when I get my ducks lined up and follow through in a few weeks.

Dankstronaut and jiggyfly like this.