1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets seeking a "very good first-rounder" for KJ Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

the Rockets are not trading Tate right after they signed him to an extension.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I hope they get it

3. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

What’s the point of trading KJ Martin for a mid first round pick when 99% chance that guy isn’t better than Martin himself. He still young why give up on him unless you get someone with equal or better talent right now

4. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Momma Eason knows something

i3artow i3aller and VoR like this.
  5. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

nothingburger story.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Mitchell, Booker, LaVine, Herro ….all #13 picks. If u get a late lotto pick for KJ, especially in a good draft, u pull the trigger.

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

Why wont we just play to win with KJM in s5. We want a pick just to hope to get a player like that. Its not common. This height with shot and athleticism

GotGame15, Dobbizzle and DaDakota like this.
  8. Millennium_Fan

Classic

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why KMJ is already a good player why switch to a maybe/?
    DD

GotGame15, cml750, Bo6 and 6 others like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If that's the case, I'm not using KJ to create a roster spot, Nix, Mathews, Fernando or Boban would be who I'd chop from the roster.

PeterKingX and daywalker02 like this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Money reason.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The challenge with KMJ is the presence of Eric Gordon has essentially taken away his ability to showcase himself in the starting line-up.

There is a possibility that the Rockets don't think KMJ is effective as a starter, and so they think starting him could hurt his trade value, or they think having EG come off the bench can deteriorate his trade value. Either ways, KMJ is on his way to a new contract soon and the Rockets will need to make a decision with him like they did with KPJ.

I would prefer to keep KMJ, but the only scenario I see where trading him makes sense is if you bundle him and EG together to a team like the Lakers, then extract a 1st round pick in 2027 from them, then 3-4 quality 2nd rounders.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you have read the snippet from the article the Rockets are asking 'a lot' (from the POV of other teams) for Martin and the teams are less interested in Martin than in Eric Fun level Gordon.

It basically said nothing other than a deal won't be happening or very unlikely. The market isn't really there and the Rockets are forcing it.

It doesn't make sense for the Rockets to dangle KMJ even for a very good first rounder rather than rest his case for the rest of this season.

Tell Kenyon Martin senior to have more patience.

What I wanted to say was get rid of Gordon, Tate, Nix, Mathews, Hudgins, Christopher first before even thinking about Kenyon.

KMJ deserved this respect and love for the rest of the season, he won the team some games. The energy level of other players were flat without KMJ and Tari.

If you want good Free agents to notice Houston as destination, start treating your own with more respect.

If they wanted roster spots, cut Nix, Boban or whoever.

#113 daywalker02, Dec 13, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    PeterKingX likes this.
  14. JW86

JW86 Member

Where's our good friend, the insider, forgot his name. Is he alright?

HTownTmac1 likes this.
  15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The way I read this is they are not looking to trade KJ. But, he asked for a trade earlier and they were probably shopping him then. Now that he's playing well, teams are asking about him and the price has gone up. Since he's already asked out before, they're more willing to pull the trigger if they find comparable value. For KJ, a good 1st rd pick is probably good value. Guys like Tari (17) and Sengun (16) are better prospects. It's fairly likely you get a player with more upside in the middle of the 1st rd. It's not some 1% chance like someone else was saying.

I don't think they want to get rid of him but they haven't forgotten that a late 2nd rounder that's just a decent role player was complaining about minutes (getting 21 mpg) not that long ago.

As we develop and get better players, would he be ok getting 15 mpg if Tari or someone else is a 35 mpg guy ahead of him by then?

The KJ side of a deal isn't about tanking, it's about managing a disgruntled player. He's fine now while we have limited talent but it's likely that as this team grows his minutes could likely shrink.

I think everyone's on the same page with a Gordon trade though. He should be moved for a pick or young prospect asap. This is a tank play. He's probably a better player than Christopher today but I'd rather JC get his SG minutes to develop in game.

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

There is really no need to trade either one. Sure trade Gordon if you can get a 1st rounder, but if not just cut him lose next year. All that needs to be done is insert KJM in the starting lineup, cut Nix and stagger Green and KPJ so you have a ball handler with Gordon.

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It me, this feels like when Pistons asked about Brunson and the Mavs asked for Cade. Polite way of sating we’re not interested unless it’s an offer we can’t refuse. If so, hopefully it works out better for us than the Mavs.

18. Hesitation

Hesitation Member

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

An extension only means he is going to get traded later down the road.

It is quite the dissimilarity here because Morey was very reluctant with early extensions.

I guess they are all relatively cheap but later on you cannot keep them all especially when the team is a legit playoff team.

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

For all those clamoring to keep KMJ can you please give me your realistic view of his ceiling/potential?

To me Eason has a much, much higher ceiling at the 3 Spot. I just don't see a pathway where KMJ develops more than a high-level role player / low-end starter. He has his limitations and his best attribute is his athleticism (which doesn't get much better after the age of 25). Which is why his value is very high right now because you can at least expect that part of his game to remain constant for the next 3 years....

Beyond that though, what do you expect from him? Is there something I'm missing? He can't create his own shot, he can't create for others, and isn't a very good man defender. If he ever picks up a major injury then his value is completely gone.

Obviously don't trade him for peanuts but if you get a nice package for him + EGo then it's a no brainer for me.

Ankara1923, VoR and xaos like this.