1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

If we do not draft Wemny or Scoot it might not be a great draft for us. Also, there are not many free agents to throw money at. We need to trade players, draft picks and swaps for a young stud player.

fckbandwagons and fattz like this.
  2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Haven't looked at the draft but if we can't draft top 2 then if we can get a pg who can guard and distribute the ball, we have enough offense with green, Smith, senguin and kpj coming off the bench

theDude likes this.
  3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need to trade for John Collins or Deandre Ayton before the draft. We cannot cross our fingers and hope for Wemby or Scoot. We need to be active now because free agency is low on talent. We can have a frontline of Jabari, John Collins and Sengun. Jabari and John Collins can play inside and outside. I would trade Martin, Gordon and two draft picks.

beardsanity713 likes this.
  4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I do not know if those Point Guards in the draft other than Scoot are good enough to start for us. We should trade for John Collins, he is young, talented, athletic and a nice outsider shooter. Maybe we can sign Harden or Fred VanVleet in free agency and if we do not draft Wemby or Scoot then we draft a point guard or Amen Thompson but they are not starters….they will need time.

PG- VanVleet or Harden
    SG- Jalen
    SF- John Collins
    PF- Jabari
    C- Sengun

Bench: Draft Pick, Tari, Tate and Garuba

We could be in the WESTERN CONFERENCE FINAL if Stone can wheel and deal now for the future.

beardsanity713 and eliefor3 like this.
  5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

As much as I liked harden when he was here, I am ok if he is never a rocket again. Vanvleet would be very intriguing though. Also more than half of the big transitions made last offseason were via a trade so just bc that player is not out there as fa doesn't mean we can't get one via a trade somehow as well. We need to make the playin game atleast since we will lose our pick after next year.

6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As long as we are drafting top 10, we should be able to upgrade our PG situation.

Williamson and fattz like this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think we still have to go best player available with our 1st pick because we can’t pass on generational talent, no matter what position they play. while I view Sengun, Jabari, Tari and Green as our core, unless Scoot is on the board, it’s unlikely the BPA will be a point guard. Scoot would be the best of both worlds; he’d likely be BPA, and he fits our biggest need. But also hoping there a chance to fill pg through trade or free agency.

Zen Tabak, saleem and theDude like this.
  8. fattz

fattz Member

I agree with this more and more as the season goes on, because I see talents if used in different ways could/would/should be the player we are longing for. Moving the redundant players for players equal value in places of need along with coaching is the answer. I also think we think we are NOT completely broken.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

This. Wemby, Scoot, Thompson are 3 elite prospects IMO but even drafting 9th we will get a good player.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Amen Thompson says hello.

BaselineFade and Verbal Christ like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sign Myles Turner in FA.

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Im definitely with you on Turner at this point. However does that push Sengun to the bench? They can certainly play together but start together? And I (right now) prefer Amen Thompson as #1 prospect.

Jumbo starting lineup in 2023.

Sengun
    Turner
    Smith
    Thompson
    Green

KPJ
    KMJ
    Ty
    Garuba
    Bruno

D-rock likes this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Amen Thompson, but he needs to improve his jumper. I do prefer him over Nick Smith.

larry cook likes this.
  14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This year everyone's coming for Silas' head. Next year it will be Stone.

I know everyone thinks the tank is over next season because we owe OKC our pick but I don't see that. The tank only ends when you have a break out star (think all star conversation, not just a good year). Or, you decide to overpay non star players and start up the mediocrity treadmill.

I would just use the cap space to take on contracts for good picks or young players. I don't see a bunch of young stars entering free agency.

Either way, I think this offseason will define Stone's entire career and the next 10 years of Rockets basketball.

saleem, D-rock and Ankara1923 like this.
  15. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

#1 free agent target should be Fred VanVleet (only exception if you draft Scoot then target should be Myles Turner). Give him the max, got to pay the trash team premium (besides what else are you going to spend the cap space on?) and discourage Toronto from re-signing.

PG: FVV
    SG: Jalen
    SF: KPJ
    PF: Jabari
    C: Sengun

Then you draft BPA in the draft.

Bench: KMJ, Tari, 1st pick (Wemby would start over Sengun), TyTy, Garuba/Fernando, JC

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Max contract to FVV immediately becomes one of the worst in the league. I always hate guys who shoot terrible percentages from 2. He's only shooting 36% overall this year.

Yes, I know, he hustles and plays defense. But great defense + putrid shooting is not worth a max contract or anywhere close, IMO.

dmoneybangbang and jordnnnn like this.
  17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agreed on FVV he’s the only one worth throwing a max at. We need an upgrade at SF if there was a vet trade target worth giving up KPJ and other pieces. Ideally a star player worth cashing in the BKN picks. Need a team falling out of contention like the Bulls with Derozan but he’s getting too old.

I also like Turner. You could trade for him now and still sign FVV in FA and draft BPA.

Corrosion likes this.
  18. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Agree he’s not worth the max, but Rockets will have to pay the max to land him. This team NEEDs a vet PG like him to settle things down and keep the ball moving.

career 38% from 3, 43% from 2, and 86% FT. I can live with that.

I don’t see any better value in one of the lesser vets like D’Angelo Russell. I do like Mike Conley as a temporary solution (trade) but then you still don’t have your long term point guard.

saleem likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3991205/2022/12/12/rockets-trade-eric-gordon/

Iko: If you’re Stone, how do you play next summer? Should you go all out in free agency or because of your position as a rebuilding team, do you let the draft affect any additional roster moves?

Leroux: The 2023 free agent class is a little different while still being on the weaker side but that might simplify the Rockets’ approach. They can start with some big name pursuits, depending on who the front office identifies as a strong fit with their young core (including their 2023 lottery pick, presumably) and shows interest in signing there. That group includes Khris Middleton, Draymond Green, Fred VanVleet, Kristaps Porzingis and Myles Turner, but it will narrow because some will prioritize other suitors and the Rockets will not be interested in all of them. There was a time I really liked VanVleet with this roster but adding another guard who might not have the juice to be the lead creator on a dynamic offense is a real concern.

Outside of the high-end talent, Stone should aim for creating value via long-term contracts at eventually below-market salaries. The template is something like the Bulls signing Alex Caruso: a capable rotation player at a reasonable wage for years into the future, something that is hard to accomplish in free agency. While any deals of this ilk weaken Houston’s overall spending power in both 2023 and 2024, having rotation-level contributors locked in at a team-friendly rate makes the math easier because there are fewer holes to fill. It is hard if not impossible to predict who will fall through the cracks seven months out but a few names to file away are TJ Warren, Javonte Green, Oshae Brissett and Furkan Korkmaz. Not the headliners of a blockbuster offseason to be sure (other than Warren if he looks like he did in the bubble but then he’s a much bigger prize) but the type of solid signings who really help improving teams.

The other possibility worth mentioning is using cap space to acquire a player already under contract via trade. It can be a great avenue to add someone simultaneously talented and overpaid yet typically requires a trade partner desperate to clear salary and it does not look like the 2023 offseason is going to inspire that desperation. Still, it is good to be one of the few franchises other general managers can call if they find themselves in that situation.

CDrex and lionaire like this.
  20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Not close to being worth the max. If he gets it from someone, good for him, don’t let it be from us. Has yet to have 1 season of his career above league average efficiency. We can get that from KPJ.

larry cook and dmoneybangbang like this.