1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Athletic: Bruno Fernando Will Start Over Sengun When He Returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sengun, Nov 11, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s not knowing ball.

Some of y’all get mad at people suggesting to get players that fit Alp strengths and in the same breath ask for players that fit C level at best guards strengths.

Green fits with Alp. That’s all that matters. Wemby fits with Alp and Green.
    KPJ fits as a 6th man

arno_ed, aaquaa, pippendagimp and 3 others like this.
  2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Sengun doesn't have a high jump on him, anyone knows that. Otherwise you would see more lob passes to him in the post on pick and rolls.

Bruno is more athletically gifted, there is no shame in saying that.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Using this logic, we can sift through all the games played this year and last and proceed to bench Jalen Green, Jabari Smith, and MOST OF ALL, Kevin Porter Jr. It's genius and revolutionary basketball thinking! Thank you rocketchamp for your wisdom!

On behalf of myself, RudyTBag...

and the rest of the boys...

we chipped in and...

got you this gift.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Agreed, and Bruno has a long career ahead of him in the NBA. Theis for Bruno and DS was a pretty nice Raf trade.

aaquaa and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. DominantBig

DominantBig Member

+/- rating is so tricky. Rewatch the Warriors game, just watch the Sengun minutes if you'd like. Tell me this his +/- is representative of his play...

6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

It is not tricky. It just does not represent individual performance, especially on the defensive end.

D-rock and DominantBig like this.
  7. DominantBig

DominantBig Member

It's tricky because it's still a good stat to incorporate into a player's breakdown and impact, but just posting the stat does nothing for individual performances, as you mention.

8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Okay, sort of agree. If the coach is using the players correctly, does not play 5s that has obvious weaknesses, then it is a better measure. Still not usable as an individual impact metric. A player can have a very positive impact and still end up the worst +-.

Looking at +- for 5 man lineups and asking what is wrong or right with that line up is much healthier.

DominantBig likes this.
  9. maypk

maypk Member

Yet another proof of how bad our perimeter defense is compared to our interior defense. Draw your own conclusions.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks, I have been saying it for a while that this is clearly our bigger problem. Opponents freely jack up and make threes against us. Barely any perimeter defense by the guards - that's where the bad defense starts, and in fact, that also impacts the interior defense. If the guards don't defend, the interior defenders get more fouls. It's so obvious.

11. maypk

maypk Member

I mean i hate to share stats for the most obvious sh*ts that you can easily realize by just watching the games but some people just refuse to believe it.

#1091 maypk, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sengun defensive IQ better than Green.

Yet no one is saying this about Green. And for good reason, he's still learning the NBA.

13. PeppermintCandy

Since Bruno Fernando returned in late November, Sengun has continued to start. And discounting the blowout GSW game, where Silas seemed to have decided to sit his starting frontcourt, Sengun's minutes have ranged from 23 minutes to 35 minutes. Which seems about the right range for a very young second-year center playing the most physically demanding position in the game.

During that time, he's made mistakes but also has had some really solid games. Plus, he's staying out of foul trouble, to boot.

So in terms of Sengun's development, I'd guess the Rockets are pretty happy with the way things are going.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I think it is clear that we are building on green and Smith. The question is who is the third player. Sengun or kpj. They do mot mesh well together. I think Sengun fits better with Green they have chemistry. And Sengun brings an offensive hub. He is our best offensive player.

Kpj is also a terrible defensive player. And he is a worse offensive player than Sengun. Plus he doesn't have chemistry with Sengun or Green. Kpj needs Fernandez inside.

So you either Tey to develop Green and Sengun or kpj and Fernández. It is clear to me who we should develop

That being Said. As Silas loves kpj I expect that Sengun will not start for that much longer. It is sad that our best offensive player only played 4 minutes at the end of the last two games...

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

YET - they don't mesh together YET.....

Plenty of time for 2 of your important players to figure it out.

22-20 is their ages, they are both smart enough to figure out how to mesh...especially if a coach can show them....I could do it in less than 5 minutes.....

DD

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s absolutely Silas fault. He has KPJ playing a role that doesn’t fit his strengths.

17. maj21

maj21 Member

I was just egging him on to keep pissing off these SOF lol. You know where I stand with Sengun

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Reported. :eek:

19. maypk

maypk Member

I genuinely can't believe this was debated for 2 months on this forum.

And they call SOFs delusional. LMAO.

cml750, Ankara1923, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Sengun needs to play at least 30 minutes a game and shoot 12 shots a game and we do not need 3 Centers

Ankara1923 likes this.