1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Silas needs to be fired for the way he treats Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Nov 18, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I just watched the postgame comments of Silas after the Warriors game. How come not a single reporter asks the most obvious question - why did you play Sengun only 20 minutes? What the hell is wrong with you?

There are so many things which are obvious to many of us fans, but the reporters never seem to challenge Silas even one bit. Are they afraid of losing access? What is it? In football (soccer), this is very different. Coaches get grilled all the time. Especially if their track record is utter crap, like that of Stephen Silas.

D-rock, LeDakota and AlperenSengun like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that was the question they asked at around 0:49, I thought he did a good job of articulating why he stuck with the squad that got them back in the game

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He didn't even mention Sengun. As if Sengun doesn't even exist.

https://www.nba.com/rockets/videos/postgame-interview-coach-silas-12-3

"I put Bruno in because Uz was tired and then I put Bruno in because I like Bruno with KPJ because I like the lob threat"

So ****ing stupid.

iambeyonce, aaquaa, bmelo and 2 others like this.
  4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

That shows a disconnect between coaching staff and FO. Silas is an idiot as well so theres that lol

aaquaa, bmelo and D-rock like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the Rockets pulled to within 4 points with 7 minutes left in the game, then ran out of gas. not sure what the point would have been putting Sengun back in after the Dubs made their next run

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Thing is, all these young players need minutes ... its hard not to go that deep.

What they really need to do is consolidate some of that talent...

EG should never play another minute and you could combine Mathews, Tate, Nix & Christopher in a trade bringing back a better prospect.

CircaSurvive, maj21 and D-rock like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The big hole they got themselves into in the beginning of the game happened with KPJ and Green on the floor. And what killed us were the threes because our guards were (as always) not playing any defense on the perimeter. We didn't get killed because Sengun would have been overmatched trying to defend the rim.

Basketball is a game of runs. The Warriors got careless and let us back in, a little bit. That's not because Sengun was on the bench or because Bruno would have played particularly great (he got ZERO rebounds and ZERO assists in 11 minutes).

There was no justification for just leaving Sengun on the bench practically the entire second half.

aaquaa likes this.
  8. ExTxGS

ExTxGS Member

Silas disrespects him (by giving him 20 minutes and share his minutes with Bruno) Sengun's stats will be doubled when Silas fired and we hire a real NBA coach.

aaquaa, bmelo, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We had a great win with our last game. Silas actually looked like a coach, which shocked me. Why not see how we do against the Sixers and if it's the beginning of a trend, or just a freakish occurrence? It's quite possibly the latter, but in the meantime, I'd think a little "basking in the glow of a win against a very good team" would feel pretty good. It feels pretty good to me.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

it was 100-96 at the 7 minute mark. Curry hits a 3 at 6:48 and nobody else scores until almost the 5:00 mark, when Loony hits a 3 to make the score 106-96. Green follows up with a quick basket at 4:48 to make it an 8 point game.

At what point is Silas supposed to punish the players on the floor who are playing well, and make substitutions of defensively weaker players when at 4:48 you also need stops? My sense of the flow of the game at that point is that the game was still within reach: then the Dubs went on a tear and put it away (Curry, Wiggins, Curry again, then Moody) before the Rockets scored again at 1:12 when Martin scored. By that time the game was over.

I just think it's unreasonable to second-guess the coaching decisions in the last five to seven minutes when you had a group of players on the floor who were playing well.

It wasn't about punishing or ignoring Sengun; it was about rewarding those players. It's a team sport, folks here have to think in team terms. It's very misleading to frame this as being all about Sengun.

12. bmelo

bmelo Member

If keeping Sengun benched for any other reasons than actively trying to loose is automatic resignation letter from me

LeDakota and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So, by your logic, he punished Sengun for the starters' bad start by gluing him to the bench, while he didn't punish the guards for not playing perimeter defense.

It wasn't just the last 5 to 7 minutes, he just barely played him in the second half at all. There is no rhyme or reason to any of this (unless Silas is actively trying to lose, which, sadly, I don't think he is).

#373 AroundTheWorld, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

no. perhaps it would be best to just end the conversation right now

maj21 likes this.
  16. maj21

maj21 Member

Shame on Silas for hurting Sengun’s feelings. :(

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nix got twice as many touches as Sengun.

bmelo likes this.
  19. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

As general statement, these are true. But you never see sengun rewarded for his good play.

And in terms of general statements go, you could argue that you put the starter back at the end of the game. That would be the argument when last year Sengun had a great game not to finish it.

Silas literally shouts out to the world and Sengun 'I don't like your game, I don't trust you, I would not put you in if I had a choice' regularly. He did not finish the phx game though he made no defensive mistakes until that point. Bruno subbed in, who is really not known for his rebounding skills, missed two rebounds in the final possession. If Sengun missed those that would be a big issue talked by Silas, and/or the media whose job is to repeat his arguments.

20. maj21

maj21 Member

Stop whining like a b**** over Sengun. Damn, stfu you SOF. You do this every game regardless the outcome

RichieBanks223 likes this.