1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. havoc1

havoc1 Member

I think Yuli played left field for us his first year up, but that was so long ago that it might not be relevant anymore.

2. Major

Major Member

I don't know what will happen with Verlander, but there's no way the team spends money on a low end starter. They have 6 average-or-better starters as-is without Verlander, and none of them deserve to get benched for a low-end starter that's probably worse than all of them.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yuli would be fine playing 10-20 games each at 1B, 2B, LF, 3B, and DH. He wouldn’t be a plus defender at all those positions but he wouldn’t be much below average either.

I think for him it’ll come down to whether another team is willing to pay him to be an everyday 1B and whether he wants to keep playing if he’s forced into a bench role.

Nook and Jeremy Williams like this.
  4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The Abreu signing strengthens our batting lineup to the point where could afford to experiment with rookies such as Korey Lee and Pedro Leon on a semi-regular basis. Something like 35-40% of the games for Korey Lee and 50-60% of the games for Pedro Leon.

5. Jeremy Williams

1B was the biggest priority. Verlander would be a nice bonus.

robbie380 and IBTL like this.
  6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Would absolutely love vintage Brantley hitting in the 7th hole. Those bases are going to be busy.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yuli should retire an Astro.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Brantley would still hit 2nd. He shouldn't, but he would.

9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Pena isnt moving from hitting second, certainly not now.

Altuve (R)
    Pena (R)
    Alvarez (L)
    Bregman (R)
    Tucker (L)
    Abreu (R)
    Benentendi/Brantley (L)
    McCormick (R)
    Maldonando (R)

red5rocket, everyday eddie and ktex like this.
  10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh that is market value for him I think. I always felt it would take more than 2/40.

He has finished in the top 21 of MVP voting in 7 of 9 seasons.

He has lead the league in total bases twice and he has had an OPS+ of 165, 124, 133 the last three seasons.

For comparison Yuli Gurriel has had an OPS+ of 77, 131, 84.....

So this is a major upgrade for the Astros line up.

Defensively, he has improved a lot over the last half dozen years. His range isn't as good as Gurriel but he makes the plays he is supposed to and is very good on balls in front of him. He is also a longer target than Gurriel.

As for his age, that is always a concern but all of his advanced statistics and bat speed are still strong, and he also works a count better than Gurriel.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I can't see the Astros signing Contreras and Abreu and also resigning Verlander.

I will say that It is conceivable that the Astros could sign both Abreu and Contreras for roughly the AAV that Verlander could get from LA.

If Verlander gets 3/125 (he wants 3/135) and Abreu gets 3/58.5 and they offer Contreras 3/66, that gets them to roughly the same amount as just Verlander in AAV and total dollars. It lets the Astros split the risk over two players, and solves the Astros biggest weaknesses.

Fullcourt and mikol13 like this.
  13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep. And if we really want to get greedy we could also still see if Conforto would do a 2/30 with an opt out after 1. That would essentially mean we spent 56M on new guys and lost JV, Brantley, Yuli, Diaz, Castro for 56M. I'm almost 100% certain I'd rather have what we have coming in than going out, for the same amount of money.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Am I the only one who isn’t super high on Contreras? I know he’s good at the plate but…

I’ve read so much about how he calls terrible games and doesn’t put in the work necessary to be a good catcher. From what I’ve read, a lot of Cubs fans want him gone and want a “real” catcher.

@Nook what are your thoughts on him?

15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Is there any way to fast forward time? ... This season gonna be so much fun to watch..

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. HTown2017Champs

I just want to roll with Maldy for another year and try to develop Lee. The main value of Contreras is that he’s a decent bat at the C position. At DH/LF/1B, he’s a 25% K machine who’s a free swinger.
    I like Benintendi but I would like a power threat. Regarding Bellinger, I’m more forgiving than most. There have been much worse humans on the Astros (like Osuna). I only root for what’s on the front of the jersey, not the back. If we can fix him and he’s a positive contributor, I’m good with him on the team. Altuve, Bregman, etc are professionals, winning will cure it (I’m sure). And I bet Crane wouldn’t go after a FA without first ensuring he wouldn’t blow up the locker room.

17. Screaming Fist

Missed out on signing their guy while overpaying for a brokedown Clevinger.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.mlb.com/news/jose-abreu-astros-deal

The Astros would still like to add another bat in left field but haven’t closed the door on re-signing veteran Michael Brantley.

If the Astros decide not to re-sign Brantley, they have an interest in free agent outfielder Michael Conforto, a left-handed hitter who spent the first seven years of his career with the Mets. He didn’t play last season while recovering from shoulder surgery after slashing .232/.344/.384 with 14 homers and 55 RBIs in 2021.

19. Jeremy Williams

Not with Dusty as manager.

20. Jeremy Williams

The Astros aren't going to be able to make a decision on Brantley until Spring Training when they can see him in action.

No Worries likes this.