1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[End Game] Who should start at C right now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Nov 28, 2022.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Okay, let's it all right here, right now. Who should start and why? Please let's keep this civil, bring arguments to the table that we can actually counter and are actually about the starting Center position. I will present my case without actual stats, but partially what I've read on Twitter in recent weeks, so forgive me if my memory is off.

I think Sengun should start, plain and simple. He's our best overall big man, brings enough on offense to offset any defensive deficiencies or lack of a lob threat as people have argued. Forgive me, but in presenting my case in why Sengun over Bruno in particular, I have to address some of what has been said online by others.

Now, I respect Clutch among others who are trying to go with the narrative that KPJ & Green are limited / held back w/ Sengun on the court. However, if that is factually true or even something you believe, then Yao should not have been a starter w/ Cat & Francis. You are also saying Yao should not have been a starter in this era, because he’s not an outside threat, clogs up the lane and needs touches.

If you want to make a point about defense, go ahead, but then Bruno has no case over Garuba and the latter should start. And if we think Yao over Sengun as a flaw in the point I’m making, remember Sengun is actually a great passer who would’ve even fit Adelman’s offense to a T. This is to me the most important part of his game since he attracts so much attention lately that his passing is what is opening up our offense in ways that we would not have without Sengun on the court.

Alpi creates plays, causes double teams and thus allows Green & KPJ to thrive. We just need them to cut and our coaches to put in new sets and plays w/ off ball movement, screens and cutting to maximize Sengun’s talent. If Silas and company believe Bruno makes more sense over Sengun, then I wonder what their arguments would be. Look at Green, he's been allowed to create even w/ Sengun starting. Both KPJ & Green get their iso moments and shoot it a ton.

Now, let's say you (still) think Sengun's defense is really bad - stats I've seen posted on twitter like +- and defensive ratings after certain games say otherwise - and KPJ and or Green are not maximized due to Sengun being a starter, that's fine. Let's look at our other role players. We have been amazing on the offensive glass, mainly due to hard work by our bigs, Tari & Martin. Now at least one or both those guys mentioned thrive by cutting and hanging around the basket, being opportunistic, looking and or moving in open spaces.

The only reason we haven't seen much action coming from those open spaces is because our offensive sets are not catered to it, but we've seen Sengun making great passes when opportunities arise. This is of course only useful if you believe posting up Sengun makes sense. Let's say you don't, well then we have him setting screens, picking and rolling, picking and popping. Popping is almost non-existent, but we can all agree his shot is the best overall, though Garuba might become a serious enough outside threat soon.

Now setting screens, he's not the biggest nor strongest guy, but I'd say he's the most fundamentally sound in setting screens and actually holds guys back. Garuba is more nimble and quicker to the ball and especially on the roll likely superior to both. Garuba also has great hands and has shown flashes in his passing to create plays. However, I believe the eye test in no matter where Sengun catches it off the pick and roll, he can create and has the most diverse skill set to create w/ his dribbling and fakes.

Garuba when facing a a defender or multiple is not going to give you much. Bruno even less. Only as a lob threat. Sengun can get past his man, deal with double teams the best and actually have more than one option. With Bruno you have zero outside threat, very little spacing and only a lob threat. With Garuba you have for the moment a great outside threat, provides spacing, can pass, but is still limited in scoring when he catches it.

Sengun is a solid outside threat, though at the moment his 3pt shooting is definitely off, he provides still provides spacing and has more options - especially for others - due to the variety of skills he has. He might get more easily blocked, but again with those skills, I'm not worried about that. On defense I'm also not worried about the lack of shot blocking and intimidating factor that a Garuba or Bruno potentially provide.

I'm actually surprised how Sengun can hold his own in that regard. Garuba is the only one who clears all when it comes to defensive awareness, knowing where to be, body control to challenge shots, the bounce and quickness to recover once a perimeter player passes him. However, in case of shot blocking, intimidating and quickness when switched onto perimeter players, having Jabari next to our Center offsets a lot of those "issues".

Alpi's ability to grow on defense, in terms of awareness, positioning etc. and his shot blocking is solid enough to make up for any defensive deficiencies. Offensively is so far ahead of Bruno that I personally don't see how he has any case over both Garuba and Sengun. I could see a case for Garuba, but as of right now he works perfect to provide that spark off the bench, works well with Tari to bring that energy and Sengun is doing so well that I don't see any reason to make any changes.

Garuba is making a case for a back-up 4 though, so I don't mind trying out starting Bruno for the sole reason of bringing Sengun and Garuba as our bigs off the bench.

Please discuss and not a poll is intentional, since I'd like to keep this thread for actual discussion. I'm aiming for more than just stating who you want. Please try to keep with the intent and not abuse this thread for your own agendas about Silas, Sengun etc.

Thank you! :)

2. Convictedstupid

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Willie Caulie Stein......

Just kidding.

Sengun should be starting...and we should be running most of our offense through him.

DD

AroundTheWorld and aaquaa like this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Garuba

fattz and Corrosion like this.
  5. maj21

maj21 Member

Oh man, they’re about to come for your head lol

Corrosion likes this.
  6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Since we’re losing anyway, Sengun.

aaquaa likes this.
  7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

So happy someone brought this up - hasn't been discussed here at all.

I'm sure it will be a strictly unbiased basketball oriented discussion without emotions involved and everyone will be better for it.

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Midnight Express - Alperen Sengun

aaquaa likes this.
  9. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

The fact that this even has to be a question shows the ineptitude of Silas.

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

Sengun should be starting, highest potential. Garuba should be 1st C off the bench and good long term outlook. Fernando at 24 is what he is, 3rd string center with potential to be a backup C.

#11 clos4life, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

13. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Sengun.

goodluck with the civil discussion. only a matter of time before **** hits the fan lol.

14. maj21

maj21 Member

Sengun, until we draft Wemby next year ;)

TEXNIFICENT, Corrosion and clos4life like this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Since Bruno has knee(s) trouble....I'm guessing his
    minutes need to be less not more....even if he gets
    cortisone shots.

Garuba is next man up that runs the Silas scheme proper.

Not sure Clutch has favored one side or the other. I'm guessing by
    O.P. saying clutch.....CF's majority is meant. I believe CF's majority
    is pushing for Sengun.

maj21 likes this.
  16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Tldr probably Sengun

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Like if we were up 2 pts with one defensive stand left? Garuba. He is undoubtedly the best defender out of the three.

The right play though would to end the game with sengun since he has the highest potential.

clos4life likes this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am a veteran of the Lin Wars of 2013, I have seen some ****.

These new groupies do not scare me.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Wemby would be awesome.