1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lineup Data - 15 games in.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Nov 18, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Common theme is Jabari is in the worst lineups, we’re gonna kill this kid before he even has a chance. Let him get some confidence up against 2nd teams. Let him get some hustle back.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You'll always have that sexy PER to hold on to!

On topic: so the guys who bust their butts out there and hustle non stop are the guys that will influence winning. Mind blown!

HP3 and pmac like this.
  3. Convictedstupid

I'd love to see Eason and Jabari in a lineup together sooner rather than later.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

jabari is getting more and more aggressive. He was great on defense last game. His rebounding is getting better. He needs to keep playing starter minutes. Gordon and small ball is what is screwed up.we drafted length for a reason. KJM or Eason should get a stint in the starting lineup with Jabari or even Garuba, Sengun, and Jabari if Garuba can continue to hit wide open threes. Jabari will get his stroke. Defense should be our calling card and it will be at some point

Mathloom, slothy420 and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree there too.
    I think Jabari needs a confidence booster somehow though.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Meet the eye test but the "best" units also played mostly against the other team's 2nd unit and not their "best" unit. SKEWed but still useful.

I think Tari and KPJ should absolutely play more for their development (and wins too). I'm happy with the mins Garuba is getting.

7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Jabari is not conducive to winning, but he needs to play to develop. It’s a shame he’s not further along.

8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I love this. Great info, please keep it up!

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I was expecting the starters to perform better than they have (close to average) and I was expecting the bench to suck with Sengun in the starting 5. Green has been off, but I think he'll play a lot better. KPJ has been about as good defensively as last year, but his just let it fly offense has caused him to play even worse this year despite Silas wanting him to make less mistakes. Smith isn't ready. Gordon has checked out. Sengun has been weird. I expected him to be used more as a distributer, but he's scoring so well right now. Defense is as expected.

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Remember that these units that are the “best” are typically playing against the second unit. It’s not like you plug in the “best statistical unit” and it automatically works against all lineups. I love the Eason, Garuba, Martin athleticism, energy, and defense, but (at this stage in their careers and skill levels) this lineup would struggle against most starters without an extremely good facilitator. None of them are really capable of creating a high quality shot for themselves or others. They’re all v young so it doesn’t mean they can’t develop better passing skills, but right now, they’re not there yet. And this team doesn’t even have a good facilitator except maybe Sengun. We need a guard who can consistently set up those three guys.

11. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

i agree that it doesn’t all roughly even out. Also it would be wrong to draw conclusions about specific players from line ups. But the bad rating from the first line up and the success of two guard line ups suggests there is some structural problem and we should explore more with the two guard lineups.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

2 guards may work better than 3 guards, but for the Rockets, I think who those guards are (and the other players on the court) is more the problem than the number of guards.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

That is probably why 2 guards may work better :). By no means I am sure that it is a better option but we sure must give it a try and see how it goes.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Green played terrible in the first 10 games. That might skew the data.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There are a lot things to try, though. There's a lot that doesn't work. I'd start with what works than trying to avoid something.

Garuba and Eason with anyone but Christopher has been a good lineup so far. I'd like to see more run for that tandem earlier in games to see how they do against better opponents.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Great info... but all I read is TRADE GORDON!

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Starting to wonder if Jabari might benefit from G-league seasoning. Except that might runi his confidence instead of helping it. What a rough start.

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

Interesting. I need line ups that are not influenced by Silas' awful coaching, otherwise this data is invalidated.

19. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Weird how the highest net rating also looks like who I would want to start. Also Tari in all the top lineups.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I used this explanation when my tryouts for high school basketball didn't go so well.

"Coach, I played terribly and that might have skewed your data. Please keep that in mind."

Easy likes this.