1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

I understand why people want him and I don’t have a problem with that reasoning. I don’t want him for the reasons that I mentioned before. If he ends up an Astro I will support him like I do all Astros.

#1201 Jose Cuervo, Nov 14, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Stephen66 likes this.
  2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

These are not the words of someone that thinks their signs are being stolen simply by someone at second base looking at the catcher. Rather it's being relayed to the person at 2nd with use of technology similar to what we know the Red Sox and Yankees were doing.

"We know who is getting the signs. We know what they’re doing. We know what they do to get it."

No Worries, Nook and Stephen66 like this.
  3. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Meyers - Leon - def not Dubon . DFA that dude please

Radricky and Phillyrocket like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I wouldn’t be shocked.

I would be disappointed but I wouldn’t be shocked.

Verlander was going to sign with the Blue Jays before Crane had enough and personally called him, modified the offer made by Click and convinced him to resign.

If someone is willing to give him a 4-5 year deal, or a massive 3 year deal that Crane can’t stomach, the Verlander is gone.

If Verlander leaves it isn’t good news but it doesn’t destroy the Astros because they will fill other holes.

I am a big fan of Verlander but he is almost 40 and recently missed almost two full seasons.

5. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

agreed fully. Any insight on Astros pursuit of Rizzo or other FA’s? The Rizzo leak seems like something agents do to create market demand vs indicative of him being the Astros’ #1 First Base target. Also if Verlander doesn’t resign, do we keep our 6 man rotation in tact or look to trade of Garcia/Urquidy?

Nook likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I haven’t heard anything at all about the Astros internally targeting Rizzo.

The report is odd. So the Astros are going to beat the qualifying offer, on multiple years to sign Anthony Rizzo and surrender a draft pick? Seems foolish to me.

Crane and Cook are running the show now so maybe they want Rizzo but it doesn’t make sense.

Also the idea that they want to sign him to hurt the Yankees? They will just turn around and sign Abreu or Bell and gladly take the Astros draft pick.

The Verlander story was worded weird by Rosenthal. He basically is speculating that Verlander wants to “possibly” go to NY or LA. He worded the way he did on purpose.

itzIce, the shark, Marteen and 4 others like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Tonight is the first I have heard of anyone reputable connecting Rizzo to the Astros. I suppose it isn’t shocking because he is one of the better 1st basemen on the market and that’s a real need for the Astros.

Honestly it feels like someone wants to either influence Rizzo to not take the qualifying offer or push the Yankees to offer a longer term deal.

itzIce, whiskeyred, Marteen and 4 others like this.
  8. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

If someone is willing to give J.V. a 4 or 5 year deal they are desperate or crazy.

AznH-TownFan and Nook like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

No, not if Abreu or Bell is available.

I don’t think it is a terrible move if they do it, but wouldn’t be my first choice.

10. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I think JV wants wins. What better place to get closer to 300 than with a WS winner in the AL West.

11. Jeremy Williams

If mutual Rizzo-HOU interest exists, Crane could very well go for it. There is no guarantee Abreu or Bell would agree to come to HOU; nor that negotiations could get close.

Still—this does feel like an agent trying to drive up the price/interest.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This time next year we could be bemoaning missing out on Grae Kessinger or Alex Santos.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  13. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

he wants wins + money (and money = respect in that world ). He gets basically similar odds with the Dodgers and Mets - and both teams could conceivably splurge on him - so wouldn’t shock me if he did that

Stephen66 likes this.
  14. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Yeah if J.V. is all about money we will find out. I hope he isn't.

15. Jeremy Williams

It makes no sense to me to move your family out of a place you love, away from a team you love, to make an extra 10M a year, when you and your wife are already worth 170M+.

16. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

And on top of that no state tax if playing in Texas. But we will see. I think I read Kate is worth 280 mil

#1216 J_Hunter_1977, Nov 14, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    No Worries likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

I'll sure miss Alex de Goti and Andre Scrubb

No Worries likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

It’s not impossible and wouldn’t be a shock, especially if Abreu signs elsewhere.

Maybe Crane offers 2/40 and that gets it done. Rizzo isn’t a stud hitter, but he is a capable hitter and does hit good pitching. Defensively he has been good in the past but I wasn’t as impressed this year.

However if you believe in OPS+, Rizzo last year was as good an offensive player as Yuli has ever been on the Astros… even with a 224 average.

xcrunner51, IBTL, the shark and 4 others like this.
  19. Qan

Qan Member

If a team is willing to offer Verlander 135/3 or 170/4...you bet your ass he's leaving. I don't see Astros offering more than 2 year guarantee deal, with 40mil aav...maybe 3rd year option. I dunno...

20. Nook

Nook Member

Players do it all the time.

I look at someone like Pujols that actually liked living in St. Louis and choose to leave a city where he had a chance to pass Stan Musial as the best player in franchise history.

Instead he leaves for the lesser team in California where no one gave a **** about who he was. He made less money when purchasing power and his marriage fell apart.

He gets released and returns to St. Louis and says he never should have left.

With the vast majority of these guys it’s about ego.